1.    #1  
    I've noticed that running my Pre without rebooting over a fairly long time (previous reboot was several days ago when the new Uberkernel was released) that Govnah's report of memory use shows swap space growing steadily over time. I'm running the new UK with compcache enabled at 16mb. It appears to me that once swap memory gets used, it doesn't get cleared out properly for whatever reason. This morning it was up to 97mb. I'm not sure what accounts for the growth, and figuring it out would take a concerted effort. Not sure if it's one app in particular or the entire OS. In any case, kinda looks like a memory leak.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, and if so, I wonder if this should be a focus of efforts to figure out ways to clear it out when it gets big, or to patch whatever is causing the issue.

I also wonder if this explains why Palm was not including swap space in their calculation for the TMC error.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You have made a very interesting point, I do hope one of the devs could shed some light on this topic. I will be checking on this thread through out the day.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! I hope it gets some traction. I know from personal experience (as a software tester) that memory leaks can be very difficult to track down. Hopefully more information can help.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I believe you can simply disable and then enable compcache to clear it.
    Well maybe I am carzy and not sure what I am looking at. But in Govnah...it shows the Memory/Swap line and mine currently states 232/89.

Here is my setup:
    Sprint: WebOS 1.4.1.1
    Screenstate: 500/720
    Compcache: FALSE (16mb)

I have enabled compache once, but once it is turned to false should you ever seee the memory/swap show 232/89? I turned it off as my Pre lagged to a point of locking every now and then when it was enabled, and sometimes crashes.

UPDATE: Just enabled the compcache on my same settings, Govnah and Pre became laggy and unresponsive, then the Pre is currently rebooting itself.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 07/02/2010 at 10:28 AM.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I believe you can simply disable and then enable compcache to clear it.
    I've done this several times when my swap was over 100 MB. In each case, as soon as I disable compcache, I immediately get a "memory critical" error and then my device soft resets.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I've noticed that running my Pre without rebooting over a fairly long time (previous reboot was several days ago when the new Uberkernel was released) that Govnah's report of memory use shows swap space growing steadily over time. I'm running the new UK with compcache enabled at 16mb. It appears to me that once swap memory gets used, it doesn't get cleared out properly for whatever reason. This morning it was up to 97mb. I'm not sure what accounts for the growth, and figuring it out would take a concerted effort. Not sure if it's one app in particular or the entire OS. In any case, kinda looks like a memory leak.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, and if so, I wonder if this should be a focus of efforts to figure out ways to clear it out when it gets big, or to patch whatever is causing the issue.

I also wonder if this explains why Palm was not including swap space in their calculation for the TMC error.
    I've noticed this same thing. Even with compcache enabled, over time, the reported swap builds. I also seem to get a lot of TMC errors when this happens.
  8.    #8  
    It's not clear to me that use of compcache and the swap space are necessarily connected. However, the use of the new UK with the new calculation for the TMC error does, I believe, make it more likely that the swap space would be used. And use of a large setting for compcache makes it that much more likely. But I believe that the swap space can be used even with the default kernel.
    My readings are 193/81. I have not experienced any lag with compcache enabled. I do use the reboot scheduler and reboot my pre every morning. Screenstate shows 125/800, 16 mg of compcache memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod55 View Post
    My readings are 193/81. I have not experienced any lag with compcache enabled. I do use the reboot scheduler and reboot my pre every morning. Screenstate shows 125/800, 16 mg of compcache memory.
    Same here I'm reading 221/70. Compcache set to 32MB and screenstate 500/800MHz.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  11.    #11  
    Okay, so several questions to ask before we start collecting data:
    1. Is this expected behavior?
    2. Is it an issue?
    3. If we need more data to fix it, what would be useful?

My initial thought is a graph of swap over time, along with data about what apps have been run when. Perhaps logs would have info about apps? I wonder if we could get Govnah to collect swap space data for us automatically?

For what it's worth, my swap has grown steadily today. I rebooted just before my initial post here, and swap started at 0mb. I checked several times throughout the day, and it has been a little higher every time. Now it is at 28mb.
  12.    #12  
    Tried an experiment. I opened 8 web pages from Google news, most of which were full websites, not mobile optimized. Memory was up to 230/98. That first memory number doesn't change much for me, but swap grew steadily as I opened pages, as you would expect.

After closing all those pages, memory wen to 197/86. So swap went down a little, but most of the growth from opening webpages did not drop on closing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowd View Post
    I've done this several times when my swap was over 100 MB. In each case, as soon as I disable compcache, I immediately get a "memory critical" error and then my device soft resets.
    Yep. If you try and disable compcache, and you have lots of swap usage, and you don't have enough free RAM for the used swap space to be dumped into, then you're going to get a memory critical error and soft reset.

Disabling compcache does not "clear" the used swap space, it just attempts to move it back into real RAM. If you're already out of space, then nothing can free up the space you're using, other than closing apps. If you don't have apps to close, then you've got a serious memory leak somewhere.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    It's not clear to me that use of compcache and the swap space are necessarily connected. However, the use of the new UK with the new calculation for the TMC error does, I believe, make it more likely that the swap space would be used. And use of a large setting for compcache makes it that much more likely. But I believe that the swap space can be used even with the default kernel.
    The delaying of the TMC errors will definitely cause people to use more swap. The memory usage has to go somewhere. TANSTAAFL.

Using larger setting for compcache is not a good idea, especially on a non-plus device.

The default Palm TMC setting makes it unlikely that a lot of swap space will be used, but it still does happen.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  15.    #15  
    Tried my experiment on the Palm kernel, and, of course, I could open fewer web pages (got up to 5), but swap was definitely still used. When TMC showed up, memory was up to 230/74. Closing all cards brought memory to 180/66. So, again, swap came down a little, but not much.

Rod, should swap be going to 0 after closing all cards?
    Tried my experiment on the Palm kernel, and, of course, I could open fewer web pages (got up to 5), but swap was definitely still used. When TMC showed up, memory was up to 230/74. Closing all cards brought memory to 180/66. So, again, swap came down a little, but not much.

Rod, should swap be going to 0 after closing all cards?
    No.

When you close cards, the total sum of RAM plus SWAP should go back to what it was before you opened the cards. But the amounts in each of RAM and SWAP buckets may change, and there is nothing (other than disabling and reenabling compcache) which will clear the SWAP bucket, and even disabling and reenabling compcache will just dump the contents of the SWAP bucket into the RAM bucket, and will crash the kernel if there is not enough free space in the RAM bucket.

-- Rod
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No.

When you close cards, the total sum of RAM plus SWAP should go back to what it was before you opened the cards. But the amounts in each of RAM and SWAP buckets may change, and there is nothing (other than disabling and reenabling compcache) which will clear the SWAP bucket, and even disabling and reenabling compcache will just dump the contents of the SWAP bucket into the RAM bucket, and will crash the kernel if there is not enough free space in the RAM bucket.

-- Rod
    Ah, that's precisely what I wanted to know. Thanks, Rod. And, to further clarify, it's not an issue to see swap space grow, as long as the total memory usage is not growing, yes?
    Ah, that's precisely what I wanted to know. Thanks, Rod. And, to further clarify, it's not an issue to see swap space grow, as long as the total memory usage is not growing, yes?
    That's correct. As your reuse the data that has been pushed out to swap, it is automatically brought back into RAM. As long as you have free Ram, this is not a problem. If you don't have the free Ram for that, then you get thrashing, which is not going to be pretty on slow flash.

-- Rod
    I have mine set to reset every morning using the PresetReset app and have never encountered this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The delaying of the TMC errors will definitely cause people to use more swap. The memory usage has to go somewhere. TANSTAAFL.

Using larger setting for compcache is not a good idea, especially on a non-plus device.

The default Palm TMC setting makes it unlikely that a lot of swap space will be used, but it still does happen.

-- Rod
    So what is a good swapspace setting? Because I have it at 32 megs and the swapsace still happily jumps to 110+ megabytes with regular usage and never drops from there.