1.    #1  
    Currently running UberKernel on PrePlus. Using screenstate governor. Should I enable compcache? Or is the compcache setting only useful for the original Pre that has less RAM?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks for your help.
    Since the Pre Plus has so much available RAM to run applications, I doubt if you would see any benefit to running compcache. It could possibly reduce your performance a little bit too. So I would say that unless you are getting the TMC error (unlikely on the Plus), it's not going to do any good.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hi protofa,

Read Post #420 in this thread. It will describe exactly what the Compache settings are and how to use these settings for each type of user.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Read Post #420 in this thread. It will describe exactly what the Compache settings are and how to use these settings for each type of user.
    Excellent info (and my primary source of knowledge about compcache), but it is written with the Pre in mind, not the Pre Plus.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Excellent info (and my primary source of knowledge about compcache), but it is written with the Pre in mind, not the Pre Plus.
    There is a talk about this for the Pre Plus in a thread... but in a nutshell the reason that this post is only addressing the Sprint Pre is because the Compache settings are only needed for the Pre and not the Pre Plus as it is designed for the user to set aside a section of 'virtual memory' to help increase speed (this is an overly-basic explanation). Because of the higher memory size of the Plus, it isn't needed (but can be used).
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/01/2010 at 05:09 PM.
    how do you disable compc in screenstate mode? Set it to 0? In my Govnah 0.5 I dont see an on/off/switch. I only have the option of entering a number or text I guess.
    Thanks Hellonnnewman, I was curious about this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    how do you disable compc in screenstate mode? Set it to 0? In my Govnah 0.5 I dont see an on/off/switch. I only have the option of entering a number or text I guess.
    Touch the line marked Govnah (showing whatever state you have chosen) and an Advanced Settings menu will come up.

Compache True = on
    Compache False = off

(note: if you are setting the memlimit you must turn off Compache off first, and then turn back on after choosing your setting to make it stick)
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    For those still confused, here is the basics of compcache(I am writing this on the fly, so this isn't a copy/paste from anywhere)...

The issue that original Palm Pre owners have had to deal with is the 256MB of RAM in the device. With that "small" amount of memory, it is fairly easy to run out of physical memory and start using virtual/swap memory. The result of that is the phone slows WAY down, and you get those "too many cards" errors.

Now, if you run a lot of apps on the Plus versions, even with the 512MB of RAM, this can also be an issue, so SOME may want to use it.

Now, for what it actually does...

Compcache uses compression/decompression on the RAM access to get more use out of the RAM you have...in a way it helps ease the transition from RAM to virtual memory. By default, it is set to 16MB worth of RAM that gets this special treatment. Now, since this IS done by the CPU, you have to expect a bit of a slowdown in overall use of your phone, but that is far better than the HUGE slowdown when virtual memory gets used.

So, the general rule is that for the Pre Plus, leave Compcache off, but for the original Pre and probably the Pixi Plus as well, Compcache should be on.

Those who are working on the kernel may find fault with my wording, and if so, please correct me so I don't post incorrect information.