Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good morning, ladies and gents!

Some of you may remember me (although that's doubtful) from when I came out of nowhere and begged you guys for help in winning a contest. Luckily, I did end up get 3rd place in said contest and now am the proud owner of a Verizon Pre Plus!

So, I want to give back to this community for the help, while also combining two of my biggest interests: developing and cars.

In short, I am here to ask any car enthusiasts on this board to pitch a suggestion as to what kinds of apps related to a love of driving that WebOS users would like to see.

I plan on making this my primary development project for the summer, so give me some good ideas.

Also, if there are any devs here who'd like to collaborate on an even bigger project, let's see what we can do!

I owe you guys.

~ Nick
    Car Enthusiast, Developer, WebOS Fanatic.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Maybe a GPS app which pulls local gas prices so you can not get bent over so often at the pump?

I think our phones should also have the ability to help update google maps or other map services with videos of turns, construction, traffic etc. Such as If you are in a traffic jam you can submit it to Telenav or google maps with a picture or video so maps can be updated better. Although obviously that is more on google/telenav, it would be nice to have a good app for reporting stuff for consideration.
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    Maybe a GPS app which pulls local gas prices so you can not get bent over so often at the pump?

I think our phones should also have the ability to help update google maps or other map services with videos of turns, construction, traffic etc. Such as If you are in a traffic jam you can submit it to Telenav or google maps with a picture or video so maps can be updated better. Although obviously that is more on google/telenav, it would be nice to have a good app for reporting stuff for consideration.
    Firstly, nice Charger!

Thanks for the suggestion! That may be more of a patch-type deal if you're talking about an add-on to Google Maps, although a standalone traffic app may be very useful to submit anything from major traffic jam areas to an area to avoid due to a week of road repaving. I would say submitting cop hiding spots would be useful too, but we have Trapster for that already!

An idea I had was to make some sort of geocaching app that lets users plot great places to stop and take pictures of their cars, as well as awesome driving road routes (points would be placed on a distance/time basis via GPS automatically).

Anything else? Keep 'em coming!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm an absolutely obsessed car nut, so yes. How about a G-meter app, using the accelerometer? The phone would have to be mounted securely to be accurate, but it could be fun. An app that measures acceleration and guesses at power and 1/4 mile times would also be fun. You can calculate 1/4 mile times (roughly) by knowing power and car weight.
    OBD-II scanner/interface
    I would love some sort of comprehensive resource app that could provide things like good driving routes/roads, performance car specs and stats, videos, news, etc. I realize these probably all exist on the web in different places, but I would drool over an app like this.

I love reading (and watching videos from) evo magazine (evo.co.uk) ...even a mobile version of that would be amazing.

This isn't a very glamorous app idea, but it would be great nonetheless!
    Quote Originally Posted by newman314 View Post
    OBD-II scanner/interface
    Ding!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by boxfier View Post
    I would love some sort of comprehensive resource app that could provide things like good driving routes/roads, performance car specs and stats, videos, news, etc. I realize these probably all exist on the web in different places, but I would drool over an app like this.

I love reading (and watching videos from) evo magazine (evo.co.uk) ...even a mobile version of that would be amazing.

This isn't a very glamorous app idea, but it would be great nonetheless!
    Hardcoded RSS is extremely easy to implement and I've already done so in my first application (not a public release). Rest assured I'll easily be able to throw that in whatever I make! I agree that having an aggregated view of all good online automotive resources would be great!

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to do a driving-road related feature in this App. I know I have tons of trouble finding fun roads in Massachusetts.

OBD-II scanner/interface
    That is a brilliant idea, although it is by far the hardest thing to implement. That would require a wired or bluetooth interface (there is OBD Bluetooth available for Palm OS, including VAG-COM for VW/Audi/Bentley/Lamborghini which I'd love seeing as I have a VW), and nothing of the sort has been designed for microUSB use. I think this is something that should be taken up by someone with far more experience than I have, and something of that magnitude would end up being a seriously expensive pay app. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I'm an absolutely obsessed car nut, so yes. How about a G-meter app, using the accelerometer? The phone would have to be mounted securely to be accurate, but it could be fun. An app that measures acceleration and guesses at power and 1/4 mile times would also be fun. You can calculate 1/4 mile times (roughly) by knowing power and car weight.
    There is already an app called "DragStats" that provides calculations for the 1320. I think it could be improved, but it definitely works.

I'd love to make a G-Meter with arrows indicating direction and a big number readout for easy reading while driving. I'd love to see how many Gs I pull when I get my Dunlops to screech around my local rotary.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    OBD-II scanner/interface
    Yes, Please this!!! Preferably compatible with a Bluetooth enabled OBDII device. Maybe make it able to display a customizable list of engine paremeters and diagnostic codes. It would be awesome if you could even have the phone act as a customizable gauge/gauges also.

Something like this would probably not be a super high volume application, especially concidering how complex it would probably be to create. Still although I can't speak for everyone else, depending on the functionality that you could put into it, I would be happy to spend like $10+ on an app like this.

But FWIW I really like the other idea that you posted also. I need some better pictures of my truck that are not just in my front yard.

Edit **** I guess I type too slow
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Well since i am a VDub Lover how about a vag com interface. If you can do OBD-II than y not.
    Voice dialling?

An app that sends preset text messages by just pressing on BIG numbered buttons?
    there a track/lap time app?
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    You might try Drag Stats in the app catalog: Drag Stats will display data for 0-60mph time, 1/8th mile time, 1/4th mile time, horsepower, speed, distance traveled, average speed, and max g-force attained.

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...log/drag-stats
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboy182 View Post
    Yes, Please this!!! Preferably compatible with a Bluetooth enabled OBDII device. Maybe make it able to display a customizable list of engine paremeters and diagnostic codes. It would be awesome if you could even have the phone act as a customizable gauge/gauges also.

Something like this would probably not be a super high volume application, especially concidering how complex it would probably be to create. Still although I can't speak for everyone else, depending on the functionality that you could put into it, I would be happy to spend like $10+ on an app like this.

But FWIW I really like the other idea that you posted also. I need some better pictures of my truck that are not just in my front yard.

Edit **** I guess I type too slow
    Might want to look at Carman on Maemo 4 as a starting point. They've done a lot of work there, and it's all open source. Would be really cool to use the Pre as gauges and integrated nav.

But we'll probably won't see this till at least webOS 2 when there is Bluetooth SPP support.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 06/30/2010 at 02:45 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Might want to look at Carman on Maemo 4 as a starting point. They've done a lot of work there, and it's all open source. Would be really cool to use the Pre as gauges and integrated nav.

But we'll probably won't see this till at least webOS 2 when there is Bluetooth SPP support.
    Bingo. Lack of Bluetooth support on WebOS currently is the biggest thing holding this back... original Palm OS had VAG-COM support over Bluetooth for god's sake!
    Add another vote for an OBD-II scanner/interface.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I like the OBD scanner idea, but how about a good auto maintenance record program, especially focused on home mechanics. They had some decent ones for the palm os, but I haven't seen any for WebOS.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Add another vote for an OBD-II scanner/interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I like the OBD scanner idea, but how about a good auto maintenance record program, especially focused on home mechanics. They had some decent ones for the palm os, but I haven't seen any for WebOS.
    Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

However, I think a lot of you are missing my point here, a little. I know working on and managing your car is a big part of being a car enthusiast, but I want to do something for the bigger part: DRIVING!

Based on a lot of suggestions in here, I'm starting to formulate an idea as to what this app is going to be. I'll do an initial write-up sometime before the weekend!

Keep the ideas coming regardless!
    what if it read allowed the turn angle and speed using accelerometer for turns as a +1 to the lat-g meter. Possibly even bank degree?
    I think a OBD Scanner would be cool... As far as a track logger, I think that's my fall project.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast