Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I've seen a lot of threads on overclocking, but they seem to be populated entirely by people who already know what they're talking about, and I don't fit that category. Is there a thread somewhere with a (relatively) simple procedure I can follow? Or is it too complex a process?

I guess I don't need an "*****'s" guide, per se... I've already managed to get into Homebrew and I'm running an SFTP server on the Pre, so I've done a few mid-level tweaks. I feel like overclocking is the next logical step for me, and I just need a little bit of direction.

Sorry if the thread is right in front of me, I honestly did look for it.

thanks!
    Ron
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/27/2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: updated title
    I've got the ***** part covered. Someone else can write the guide part...
    Seriously, it's pretty straight forward.

1. Get webOSquickinstall. Use it to install Preware
    2. Download Govna and Uberkernel from Preware
    Open Govna and set your overclock settings (I suggest constant 800 or 720 just until you've explored a little bit.
    3. Close Govna because it defaults to 1 second samples and will negate any performance gain from overclocking if you leave it open...

There ya go!
    Dont do it! If you cant figure it out from reading this forum you shouldnt be fudging w/ these tweaks because they can really screw up your Pre if done wrong.

This is why the devs dont post a complete idiots guide!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Seriously, it's pretty straight forward.

1. Get webOSquickinstall. Use it to install Preware
    2. Download Govna and Uberkernel from Preware
    Open Govna and set your overclock settings (I suggest constant 800 or 720 just until you've explored a little bit.
    3. Close Govna because it defaults to 1 second samples and will negate any performance gain from overclocking if you leave it open...

There ya go!
    That's perfect, thank you! I already had Preware installed, the rest was a snap. And the Pre does seem noticeably peppier! I'll give it a few days and see how it goes, thank you so much!!!

ron
    OP: I understand and was in the same boat. There are sooooooo many threads about the samething, saying different things.

I had the original overclock, and it took awhile for me to put all the jibber together and do the simplicity explained by workerb33 just last night after getting a refurb yesterday (original Pre took many pavement dives and finally gave out).....lol. I set my govnah at 500/800 and I am as happy as ever to be up todate on overclocking.

I am now tryiing to comprehend all the F150 thunderbirds, or whatever....but dont think you are alone OP.
    I have to disagree with 2sslow. I am not a tweaker in any respect (or I wasn't before my pre[pre-pre if you will]), but I have had no trouble with my overclocking on the pre. I found it very easy and if you stick with safer kernels, there is minimal risk as many people before you have acted as the guinea pigs.

I use Govnah and the Uberkernel ( I have Govnah set to Screenstate 800max/500 min). I don't use compache, but I've heard that is very helpful if you have an original pre (as opposed to a pre plus).

Bottom line, the performance boost is incredible, I have no lag at all and the phone is generally just more responsive (I have the reduce drag radius patch to 10pix, that also makes the phone seem much more responsive).

Stick with the uberkernel and govnah as they are designed to be safe with updates to WebOS and they also have failsafes in the event that the kernel itself does cause your phone an unexpected problem.
    To anyone who's tweaked droid or iPhone, forget EVERYTHING you ever knew about 'rooting', 'jailbreaking' or 'hacking'. Seriously - the process couldn't be much simpler with webOS (which is why we all love it). Oh - and once you do it, you can change your clock settings on the fly. Pretty flippin slick.
    It really is simple now. Using Preware to download UberKernel and Govnah makes overclocking easy for anyone. No need to try the alpha and beta stuff with the feeds.
    I am having a similar problem...i have uberkernel and govnah installed, but it only gives me an option of going up to 600mhz. i have an at&t pre plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
    I am having a similar problem...i have uberkernel and govnah installed, but it only gives me an option of going up to 600mhz. i have an at&t pre plus.
    Have you restarted your phone?
    If you need a guide like that, then stick with the Uberkernal and Govnah... don't even attempt to mess with any "alpha" kernals like the Thunderchief.

If you do install the Uberkernal be sure to restart your device after installation and remember it will take a day or so for your device to equalize and smooth out.

And be sure to read through THIS THREAD as most questions are answered in there.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    For the neophytes, I like Performance 800/800. It seems very stable, fast, and it has actually helped my battery life. At first, I was trying different profiles, but now have settled on this....until the 1ghz show up on Uberkernel!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Dont do it! If you cant figure it out from reading this forum you shouldnt be fudging w/ these tweaks because they can really screw up your Pre if done wrong.

This is why the devs dont post a complete idiots guide!
    Incorrect.

Also, I suggest 500/800 screenstate, not 800 constant.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    i cannot for the life of me get uberkernel to show up in preware. i have govnah installed and now need the uberkernel and it shows zero finds.
    nevermind, i needed to update preware
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Incorrect.

Also, I suggest 500/800 screenstate, not 800 constant.
    I keep going back and forth on this and can't seem to figure out the ideal setting.
    If the stock Palm Kernels MIN FREQ goes down to 125, wouldn't 800/125 be better for battery life and especially temp control?
    This summer time heat and OC usage is cooking my phone and I'm just trying to find the best solution...
    I have an original Sprint Pre so turning Compcache Enabled to 'True' is said to help with the TMC error correct?
    The main threads discussing all this are way too long and I have to research this on my phone so I know I'm asking that which has been answered a hundred times.
    Thanks in advance for any clarity offered.. .
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    If the stock Palm Kernels MIN FREQ goes down to 125, wouldn't 800/125 be better for battery life and especially temp control?
    This summer time heat and OC usage is cooking my phone and I'm just trying to find the best solution...
    I had the same thought. Intuitively, it seems like setting the min freq as low as possible would be best, but I'm in advice-taking mode at this point, so 500/800 it is.

ron
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    This is great... 500/800 is giving me a very noticeable boost, and it was very easy to do. I'm glad I asked! And I'm definitely not going to muck about with alpha kernels. This is about as far as I'm prepared to go with it at this time. Thanks to everyone who chipped in.

One more question (which I'm sure is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, and it wouldn't hurt to have it in this thread)... assuming I'm keeping an eye on my temperature with Govnah, how hot can it get before I should be concerned?

ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
    This is great... 500/800 is giving me a very noticeable boost, and it was very easy to do. I'm glad I asked! And I'm definitely not going to muck about with alpha kernels. This is about as far as I'm prepared to go with it at this time. Thanks to everyone who chipped in.

One more question (which I'm sure is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, and it wouldn't hurt to have it in this thread)... assuming I'm keeping an eye on my temperature with Govnah, how hot can it get before I should be concerned?

ron
    Use the colour of the Govnah icon as a guide - it will start showing flames if you're in trouble. We had one up to 70 degC in testing the other day (we *really* had to push it as hard as we could at 1.2GHz to get it to that temperature) and although it's likely that the lifetime of that testing device has severely suffered as a result, it kept working.

BTW, I challenge anyone to show me another mobile platform which allows you to patch your operating system and even change the kernel OTA at will without loosing any of your data or needing to restore anything afterwards.

Preware rocks, even if I do say so myself

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast