Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Use the colour of the Govnah icon as a guide - it will start showing flames if you're in trouble. We had one up to 70 degC in testing the other day (we *really* had to push it as hard as we could at 1.2GHz to get it to that temperature) and although it's likely that the lifetime of that testing device has severely suffered as a result, it kept working.

BTW, I challenge anyone to show me another mobile platform which allows you to patch your operating system and even change the kernel OTA at will without loosing any of your data or needing to restore anything afterwards.

Preware rocks, even if I do say so myself

-- Rod
    70 degrees is crazy, you must have seen flames coming out

And you are welcome to keep saying it. It is absolutely what everyone else thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    70 degrees is crazy, you must have seen flames coming out
    One of the members of our kernel development team (ka6sox) is working on an automatic temperature limiter that lives in the kernel, and he had to find the absolute limits so we knew where to set the terminate-with-extreme-prejudice temperature limit.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Use the colour of the Govnah icon as a guide
    Ah, I didn't realize the icon was an indicator as well. Mine is showing the pointer at about 1 o'clock, which is leaning toward the red zone but not by much. That's 38C, or about 100F, according to Govnah, so I guess I'm fine. If I notice the unit feeling excessively warm, I'll be sure to take a peek at that icon.

Actually, it might not be a terrible idea to put Govnah on my quick launch bar for a while, just so I can keep an eye on the icon until I know for sure how well my Pre is tolerating the overclock.

ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
    Ah, I didn't realize the icon was an indicator as well. Mine is showing the pointer at about 1 o'clock, which is leaning toward the red zone but not by much. That's 38C, or about 100F, according to Govnah, so I guess I'm fine. If I notice the unit feeling excessively warm, I'll be sure to take a peek at that icon.

Actually, it might not be a terrible idea to put Govnah on my quick launch bar for a while, just so I can keep an eye on the icon until I know for sure how well my Pre is tolerating the overclock.

ron
    The icon is only showing the real temperature when there is a number on it, and it only does this when govnah is active. But leaving govnah active with a 1 second polling rate will suck your battery faster. TANSTAAFL.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Since we are talking idiots guide and I have not used overclocking much. I just noticed that when I was in the app catalog, the icons of the programs kept flickering off and on. I closed Govnah and it settles down and they don't flicker off and on, they just stay on.

That an enhanced feature? Wonder why that would do that.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NCZman View Post
    Since we are talking idiots guide and I have not used overclocking much. I just noticed that when I was in the app catalog, the icons of the programs kept flickering off and on. I closed Govnah and it settles down and they don't flicker off and on, they just stay on.

Thanks.
    My understanding from what I've read elsewhere is that this is due to the fact that Govnah is constantly polling the condition of the CPU, which causes the icons to flicker. Not a feature, definitely... but not really a bug, per se. Just a side-effect. As you noticed, you can close Govnah and it will go away. It needs to be closed in order to be effective anyway (again, according to what I've been reading).

ron
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Preware rocks, even if I do say so myself

-- Rod

You would be labeled as a bit Biased in that Preware Rocks comment....NO??

So allow me PREWARE ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!! ... im not biased................LOL

Keep the Kernels coming F105.60 running cool as ever!!!
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Rod,
    I know (or at least have heard) that the goal is to add 1ghz performance to Uberkernel/ Is underclocking an option for UK or in the plans anytime soon?

I am asking this here, because Uberkernel seems to be the unanimous "safe/beginners" kernel, so it seemed appropriate for this thread. I'm using it now at 500/800 and love the performance, but I could use some batterysaving when I'm not actively using the phone.
    My understanding from what I've read elsewhere is that this is due to the fact that Govnah is constantly polling the condition of the CPU, which causes the icons to flicker. Not a feature, definitely... but not really a bug, per se. Just a side-effect. As you noticed, you can close Govnah and it will go away. It needs to be closed in order to be effective anyway (again, according to what I've been reading).

ron
    I did not see that. Thanks. I will have to go back and reread some of that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCZman View Post

Thanks.
    Look in the Govnah preferences screen.

-- Rod
    I say we change the name from preware to rodware....
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I say we change the name from preware to rodware....
    The homebrew applications, patches themes and kernels available in Preware are the works of hundreds of homebrew developers.

-- Rod
    i have installed govnah and uberkernel using the 500/800 setting. my question is this, which kernel or configuration helps with the TMC error. everytime i play texas hold em legend on my sprint pre, i get that error even with the overclock.
    I would just like to say thank you to everyone here in this thread. I have been doing a ton of research and reading loads and loads of threads to learn more about kernels,overclocking,compcache and govnah...whew that was a mouth full
    I still have lots more to learn, I find everything here so interesting, every thread I open you is a new adventure and treasure chest of knowledge. I was close to getting a droid,but looking back now I am glad my mom encouraged me and leaned me more towards my Palm Pre Plus. Once I announced that I had gotten a Pre on Facebook,a buddy of mine messaged me and helped me out a lot by directing to palmcentral. This by far has been my greatest and most rewarding smart phone purchase.

I am in the process of testing 4 profiles on govnah for f105. One is 1005mhz with a 125mhz min freq. The second is 900mhz with a 125mhz min freq. The third one is 900mhz with a 500mhz min freq. And finally the last one is 800mhz with a 500mhz min freq. Let the experiment begin
    Influenze: Rod is probably going to answer your question with far more authority than I can, but from what I'm reading, enabling Compache seems to be the most help for those original pre users who suffer from TMC.
    This is great... 500/800 is giving me a very noticeable boost, and it was very easy to do. I'm glad I asked! And I'm definitely not going to muck about with alpha kernels. This is about as far as I'm prepared to go with it at this time. Thanks to everyone who chipped in.

ron
    Some Pre's have trouble waking up from 125. Also, many people stream music with the screen off and 125 sometimes causes skipping. I have found 250 to be a good compromise. Slacker and Pandora stream fine on my phone at 250 and it jumps to 800 instantly.

Try it, you can always go back...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Rod,
    I know (or at least have heard) that the goal is to add 1ghz performance to Uberkernel/ Is underclocking an option for UK or in the plans anytime soon?

I am asking this here, because Uberkernel seems to be the unanimous "safe/beginners" kernel, so it seemed appropriate for this thread. I'm using it now at 500/800 and love the performance, but I could use some batterysaving when I'm not actively using the phone.
    Underclocking hasn't really been shown to save battery for most and some Pre's just don't tolerate it. Rod has often pointed people to this: Race to Idle
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Underclocking hasn't really been shown to save battery for most and some Pre's just don't tolerate it. Rod has often pointed people to this: Race to Idle
    I am (not intimately, but functionally) familiar with the "race to idle" concept. That is part of the reason i am happy with my overclocking solution. With respect to things running when my screen is off, I am working under the assumption that these are things that are perpetually running. I could be way off on that, but that has been my assumption. Whether its pandora, or just the stuff the phone needs to be operating, I would think there is no "done" point when the phone is completely idle. So my (admittedly uninformed logic) tells me that there is no "idle" point to race to with respect to those programs, so i don't mind if they are just running slower. At least i would like to attempt to experiment to see if my pre plus can tolerate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I am (not intimately, but functionally) familiar with the "race to idle" concept. That is part of the reason i am happy with my overclocking solution. With respect to things running when my screen is off, I am working under the assumption that these are things that are perpetually running. I could be way off on that, but that has been my assumption. Whether its pandora, or just the stuff the phone needs to be operating, I would think there is no "done" point when the phone is completely idle. So my (admittedly uninformed logic) tells me that there is no "idle" point to race to with respect to those programs, so i don't mind if they are just running slower. At least i would like to attempt to experiment to see if my pre plus can tolerate it.
    Unless you are doing things like streaming audio, there definitely are significant periods of complete idle. Look in /var/log/messages to see them.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    i have installed govnah and uberkernel using the 500/800 setting. my question is this, which kernel or configuration helps with the TMC error. everytime i play texas hold em legend on my sprint pre, i get that error even with the overclock.
    I've just purchased that app to see what is special about it.

-- Rod
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast