1.    #1  
    This will be $100 in my pocket!!!
    oh no, Brighthouse and Dijit will profit even more from spamming the catalog!
    That will be like 500 in my pocket. However I feel this is a mistake, a big mistake.

50$ per app helps keep a lot of the crap out. I can't imagine how many fart apps we're going to see now. We should see an increase in applications but get ready for the attack of the crappy apps.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    oh no, Brighthouse and Dijit will profit even more from spamming the catalog!
    Yeah this is my fear. Although, were they paying that on every app or using the open-source program to avoid the fee?
    If the objective is to have more apps in the catalog, changing the fee to free will work. But as others have said, this will mean a lot more cr-apps in the catalog for sure.

In fact, I'm likely to add to it myself. I have a few apps that are not good enough to sell and I certainly didn't want to pay $50 to put in the catalog, but now I can.

What I don't really understand is why they are refunding the $50 for previous apps. If they announced that from now on, the app submission fee was free, I don't think people would complain and want their money back from the apps that were submitted from before. I guess they just want good PRPRPR $from$ $the$ $developer$ $community$.

Maybe a good compromise would have been a lowering of the fee to something like $10 or $20. That way, people would not pay to submit complete cra-app but it's low enough for most people. Oh well. Too late now.
    mobigamedepot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by djpushplay View Post

What I don't really understand is why they are refunding the $50 for previous apps. If they announced that from now on, the app submission fee was free, I don't think people would complain and want their money back from the apps that were submitted from before. I guess they just want good PRPRPR $from$ $the$ $developer$ $community$.
    Makes complete sense to me. It's treating everybody equally.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Exactly. Same with people who purchased the Pre (or Pixi; and plus variants) days before it got discounted. They got money back.

Of course, that is because the companies want to keep your business (same thing Palm wants) and they only did it for 14-30 days prior. The point is it is a smart business practice.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Yeah this is my fear. Although, were they paying that on every app or using the open-source program to avoid the fee?
    My fear is getting a flood of crApps... I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of "Well, this is my first attempt at an app. It doesn't really do anything, but I still decided to put it in the App Catalog and charge $0.99 for it" apps in the Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Not exactly equally. If the rumor is correct that some developers were able to submit apps for free, they had a much better chance of winning the $100,000 in the contest (by submitting many apps) than people who had to pay $50 for each app and were limited to only a few apps.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to get my $50 back. It's a nice gesture and I'll gladly take it. In general, I've been happy with the way Palm has conducted business. Can they do better? Yes, I think they can.
    mobigamedepot.com