1.    #1  
    Periodically, there are posts alluding to fears that overclocking might lead to premature demise of the phone. We are now talking about pushing to 1GHz and beyond. Can someone explain what is the rationale for thinking that overclocking will lead to premature failure? Is it because of the anticipated higher cpu temps at the high clock speeds? How might running a higher clock speed breakdown the electronics? Has there been a real instance of someone frying their unit by overclocking?
    It's pretty simple, overclocking runs the hardware beyond what the manufacturer intended. The CPU runs faster than it was designed to an at a higher heat level. How much life it takes off the hardware versus expectations of hardware longevity is up for debate but it will reduce the operational life.
    Rod Whitby, founder of the WebOS Internals group posted some statistical data on this very topic based on voltage applied to the processor. You can search it on the forums, but I think it is in the Thunderchief thread, somewhere in the early 20's pages.

In a nutshell it boiled down to about 5 years life expectancy of the processor running 24/7 at the voltages necessary to run at 800MHz. You can cut that in half if running at 1GHz. So if you couple that with a screen state kernel or profile then you can add back time for when it is running at 500MHz (which I think was 15 or 20 years if ran at that speed all the time).

Of course those estimates are also based on a limited time test (by the processor manufacturer) that is then extrapolated to give their best educated estimate.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    In a nutshell it boiled down to about 5 years life expectancy of the processor running 24/7 at the voltages necessary to run at 800MHz.
    I want to see someone using their phone for 5 years... beside my grandpa, heh.
    Looks like we are safe, I'm OC'ing mines at 800Mhz since Rod released his awesome UK.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I dunno...my Treo 700p gave me five good years. Who knows how long I'll keep the overclocked Pre? :-)