1.    #1  
    I've been playing dungeon hunter for a little while now and it got me thinking that porting diablo and diablo II and their expansions to webOS would be sweet. There isn't too much of a UI that I can remember so virtual controls would be feasible I would think. Problem is a company would have to do the port as blizzard is not likely to ever do much of any development outside of WoW. Just look at how long it took them to do starcraft II and diablo III. Those games were supposedly in the works shortly after the previous title in the series came out. Anyways how would we as a community go about making this sort of thing happen? Feel free to post your thoughts on this or more general thoughts of diablo and diablo II on webOS.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    No they were working on world of warcraft for the most part. And it is not a good idea, do not waste your time, anyone who has even attempted to port a blizzard game has gotten a cease and desist letter/email.

Razorwire : News : Blizzard shuts down StarLite DS project with a Cease and Desist

these was over a "cheat":
    Diablo 3 & Diablo 2 Forums @ Diablo: IncGamers - View Single Post - Hacks, the truth

Not saying I would not love it, because I would. I love both Diablo games and plan to play the 3rd when it is released. That being said I am just trying to save someone some time.

If you do happen to do a project like this I would recommend changing a lot of things, including the name to try to avoid having your project canned.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I've been playing dungeon hunter for a little while now and it got me thinking that porting diablo and diablo II and their expansions to webOS would be sweet. There isn't too much of a UI that I can remember so virtual controls would be feasible I would think. Problem is a company would have to do the port as blizzard is not likely to ever do much of any development outside of WoW. Just look at how long it took them to do starcraft II and diablo III. Those games were supposedly in the works shortly after the previous title in the series came out. Anyways how would we as a community go about making this sort of thing happen? Feel free to post your thoughts on this or more general thoughts of diablo and diablo II on webOS.
    Firstly, those games are copyrighted. BIG TIME copyrighted. Plus, someone would have to reverse engineer the code and TRY to get it to compile for ARM7 (NOWHERE near x86), not to mention the graphics processor in the Pre is NOWHERE near as capable as most PCs graphics processors.

Secondly, until you develop a game, or for that matter, anything in very extensive C, C++, or C#, you cannot begin to understand why things take forever to get done. They might have devoted developmental resources to another game (who wouldn't devote most of their dev time to more popular and monetary games!!), but that is no reason to complain about the time it took/takes. They have priorities and money is priority #1.

Keep in mind that porting software isn't as simple as just load it up on the CD and put some special code in to the game to get it to output a Pre compatible version. These things take LOTS of time.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  4.    #4  
    I was meaning a legitimate port like how gameloft is a company that ports other companies titles to other platforms (I'm guessing specifically smartphones). And believe me I understand the complexity of programming being a programmer myself. I have known people who work in video game development as well. 10 years of game development it insane I'm told. Very few projects I'm aware of have taken that long and only because during that time the game was rebuilt from the ground up to take the graphics part to the current standards. But anyways this is besides the main point of my thread. Which is what are the steps necessary to get a company or number of developers to group together to work on a project like this? And how would they go about discussion with blizzard for doing the port? And last but probably the first step determining the possibility of doing it. Which is part of my original post.

In looking at the UI There are 4 slots for potions but really only need to make one each health and power. Outside of that the UI only needs virtual movement and a button for each action slot that for the PC is the left and right mouse button. No more on screen during game place UI than is present in dungeon hunter. I'm sure the part that takes the most time is adapting the graphics. But since all of the 3D games on webOS are ports from TV and PC game platforms I see no reason to think it is impossible to port. In fact the existing ports seem to indicate that the process is easier than we think. Especially considering the hardware is capable of emulating PSX which is a more powerful hardware set than was required for diablo and diablo II.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I was meaning a legitimate port like how gameloft is a company that ports other companies titles to other platforms (I'm guessing specifically smartphones). And believe me I understand the complexity of programming being a programmer myself. I have known people who work in video game development as well. 10 years of game development it insane I'm told. Very few projects I'm aware of have taken that long and only because during that time the game was rebuilt from the ground up to take the graphics part to the current standards. But anyways this is besides the main point of my thread. Which is what are the steps necessary to get a company or number of developers to group together to work on a project like this? And how would they go about discussion with blizzard for doing the port? And last but probably the first step determining the possibility of doing it. Which is part of my original post.

In looking at the UI There are 4 slots for potions but really only need to make one each health and power. Outside of that the UI only needs virtual movement and a button for each action slot that for the PC is the left and right mouse button. No more on screen during game place UI than is present in dungeon hunter. I'm sure the part that takes the most time is adapting the graphics. But since all of the 3D games on webOS are ports from TV and PC game platforms I see no reason to think it is impossible to port. In fact the existing ports seem to indicate that the process is easier than we think. Especially considering the hardware is capable of emulating PSX which is a more powerful hardware set than was required for diablo and diablo II.
    Your best bets are either:

a) contact Gameloft and try to get them to work out a deal with Blizzard to make a (highly) slimmed down version of Diablo
    b) get a (very expensive) contract with Blizzard to be allowed to use the Diablo name, trademarks, patents (if any), and visual features to make a slimmed down version from a company you own
    c) try to persuade Blizzard to make a mobile version (which I can 99.999% guarantee they won't since they are Desktop developers, utilizing 1GB+ graphics cards)

Short of those options, you can always try to just create a game, make it similar in nature, while not violating their (or anyone elses) patents, copyrights, or trademarks, and then sell it for $4.99 to try and recoup the expenses. Then you'd have to port it to iPhone and Android just to make sure you could recoup the expenses.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Leave Blizzard alone. They need to focus on finishing Diablo 3
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    All they have to do is give permission to or license the port. Another company or group of developers would be doing all the work. I'm serious though about wanting to know what is needed to do to see about porting the two games to webOS. Seeing we have loads of developers here in the forums I figured some would be able to answer the questions I raised.

EDIT: I missed seeing the post about gameloft. That might be a start, I'll see about contacting them in the next few days and see what they have to say. In the mean time any other info pertaining to details to sort out for getting them ported anyone please do share.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 06/30/2010 at 03:45 AM.
    Best hope you have is if they co-develop with a company and they have not done that since starcraft 64 over 10 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    This!
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton
    not to mention the graphics processor in the Pre is NOWHERE near as capable as most PCs graphics processors.
    The GPU in the Pre and Pixi are decidedly advanced enough to handle a non-accelerated, sprite-based game. At the time these games were released most computers didn't even have graphic accelerators much less GPUs.(SVGA FTW!)
    As to the actual work. The engine would need to be ported. The content could be used as-is or just run through a conversion script to get it in a more desirable format. (Anyone remember Freecraft?)

@the comment about it taking so long for SC2 & D3: These projects haven't been in development since their predecessors were released. SC2 for instance wasn't even started until well after Blizzard scrapped SC:Ghost.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    The GPU in the Pre and Pixi are decidedly advanced enough to handle a non-accelerated, sprite-based game. At the time these games were released most computers didn't even have graphic accelerators much less GPUs.(SVGA FTW!)
    Well I was talking about taking the code and doing a straight port, not making it slimmed down or anything of the sort. Obviously doing a slimmed down version would be best and it would work fine on the processor, but would require at least some of a rewrite, taking a month at least to make it (if there was a dedicated development team).
    Arthur Thornton

I understand what you're saying. The Pre and Pixi do, however, have the cahones to run a straight port. It's a simple matter of APIs and cleaning out assembler code. As is, the games are no more computationally expensive than running a modern web application - which we all do every day on our WebOS phones. Neither game uses hardware acceleration so the short list would be to swap out DirectX calls for SDL ones, swap out OS specific functions, re-write any assembler code in C/C++ for CPU interoperability, rearrange the UI layout for a finger-touch screen. In other words, the bulk of what would be needed are the same steps needed to port to OSX or Linux.

The only thing the Pre and Pixi are really lacking in for this is storage space. If I remember correctly, the game data for D2+LOD runs around 3-4GB installed... Probably not something people with only 8-16GB total want to give up... It could likely be trimmed down some, but not a lot without sacrificing the quality of the experience.
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the detailed info sounds like a decent concept of what is required to do some of the porting. I'm sure the amount of space the game takes up would be reduced in certain areas. Image resolution for the sprites or what ever those graphic elements are that make up the terrain, character, and enemies models. The resolution (at least until the next gen higher resolution smartphone screen) is about half size so I suspect that all of that stuff would be reduced in space requirement by up to half. Sounds could be re-encoded to mp3 instead of wav or whatever bulky file type from back in that time. I'm sure those two things would cut the space requirements in half or more. Outside of that I'm not sure how much compression is involved in games on smartphones either so perhaps that may play a factor? Who knows what else kinds of files etc are involved with the PC version. Sounds like a fun thing to look at and see.
    1.89 GB (2,032,030,491 bytes) actually with the newest 1.13 patch installed. Just an FYI. But that would take forever to download and install especially OTA.
    @Banger thanks. I was way off on that one.

And to the original topic. I highly doubt we'll ever see the Diablo games ported Blizzard has a really poor track record for these kind of things. I suggest we bombard Runic Games with requests to get Torchlight ported.
    omg diablo on palm would be awesome