1. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    So I was wondering, since I can open VLC in Debian via xserver, is it possible/ not too difficult to port VLC to the Pre using pdk? I don't quite understand porting apps, so I realize it might not be feasible.

It would be great because I find the standard WebOS video app is very picky for video formats.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    So I was wondering, since I can open VLC in Debian via xserver, is it possible/ not too difficult to port VLC to the Pre using pdk? I don't quite understand porting apps, so I realize it might not be feasible.

It would be great because I find the standard WebOS video app is very picky for video formats.
    Found a bunch of ipks here. While looking at ddns updater.

You can install VLC natively (
    VLC IPK) it even does all the codecs. The problem im having is binding it to the GUI or atleast getting the native player to pickup the codecs. I looked at the code for the player and nothing to be found. It installs but wont launch do to lack of link to the gui.

To install vlc natively (once again wont run due to lacking graphical interface). If you want to mess with it to see if you can get it to load the more people tinkering with it at once should help this happen faster.

cd /tmp

wget http://sources.nslu2-linux.org/feeds...9.9a-1_arm.ipk <---- Link gets shrunk so right click and copy link location

ipkg-opt install vlc_0.9.9a-1_arm.ipk
  3. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    here is a link to a sdl plugin for vlc. Might that help with the gui output.
    VLC SDL Plug-in | Linux App Finder
    I'm getting error while trying to install vlc on my pre:

too many "unsatisfied recommendation for xxxxx"

nothing to be done,
    an error occured, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for vlc:
    dbus
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
  5. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptooth View Post
    I'm getting error while trying to install vlc on my pre:

too many "unsatisfied recommendation for xxxxx"

nothing to be done,
    an error occured, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for vlc:
    dbus
    Do you have optware installed through preware?
    Im no expert but i know a lot of PDK apps need the 1.4.5 update. Possibly it doesnt work because your phones are still on 1.4.1.1?
  7. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Can any developers who understand this stuff give their opinion as to the feasibility of such an endeavor (porting vlc to webos) especially in light of it already being an optware ipkg and the sdl plugin. Thanks
  8. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I'm really interested in this, so i am going to bump it. Hate me if you so desire.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    please make this work. or port the ifone version...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  10. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I'm really surprised that no one is interested in this.

-It would make the phone a vastly better video player
    -It shouldn't be that hard. (I'm no expert but the source code is freely available and there are instructions for compiling it for arm. Heck, there is even a optware ipk already available!)
    -It would put webos in the news
    +1

VLC is the ultimate video player. Having it on the Pre would just be awesome. I would do it but I'm an *****.
  12. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    For anyone interested, i was able to get it to install with much tribulation. it does run, but with no output. However, i have been told that it needs to be compiled specifically for the pre to sdl output and I don't know how to do that... If anyone does feel free to comment.
    Meanwhile over at the palm dev forums:

I compiled ffplayer using the pdk. So in my compile, all of the video decoding is clearly being done in software. Monitoring top while playing the stock Palm Pre video showed that the CPU was saturated, riding 99%.
    unwiredben on the same thread said:

On the Pre. the media server is using special codecs built to run in the DSP part of the TI OMAP3430 CPU that's on the device. The same thing happens for the hardware codecs on the Pixi with its Qualcomm CPU. That's one reason our format support is limited compared to VLC or mplayer on the desktop -- we only handle the ones for which our vendors can supply us accelerated codecs for playback.
    So can we have VLC on the Pre? Yes.

Will it be usable to a reasonable degree? No.

However, on the thread I've quoted above, there are a couple of guys chucking ideas back and forth to get ffmpeg running using some special chipset (I really don't understand the technical side so excuse me if I'm getting this wrong). Check it out:

Forums webOS &bull; View topic - ffmpeg, hardware accel and stock media player implementation
  14. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    that doesn't really make sense to me because the signifigantly slower processor in my touch pro and ppc6700 was able to easily decode all kinds of video including 480p with TCPMP
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    that doesn't really make sense to me because the signifigantly slower processor in my touch pro and ppc6700 was able to easily decode all kinds of video including 480p with TCPMP
    I know absolutely nothing about smartphone hardware so if you have any qualms, you're best off voicing them over at the topic I linked to. It sounds like you could provide some good input so you should join the discussion.
    You can't compare a general purpose processor with a specialized DSP chip. In order to show video or decode an mp3 you need to run certain instructions (DFTs and convolution) many times in a row with a very high precision. Without getting into the specifics, the Pre's processor (or even your Touch Pro's processor) are not very good at doing that kind of specific work. Instead, they use another chip that is usually built into the same casing, which is able to do those specific operations very fast.