Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but after searching the forums I was left wondering. What is the state-of-possibility on being able to transfer files (such as large videos) to another Pre via Wi-Fi?
    My roommate and I shoot a lot of videos on our phones and it would be pretty great to be able to send these directly through our network instead of cellular or e-mail accounts, as these have restrictions on size.
    Yes, it is possible to exchange files between your wi-fi network and your phone using SFTP, but it'll take a little work: FTP access to your Pre using FileZilla.
    Using WinSCP instead of FileZilla client allows your to sync folders automatically and/or on a schedule: Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals
    I use SyncBackPro as a client (only commercial version works with SFTP), because it has lots more options for folder syncing.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    "wifi media sync" in the app catalog should dod the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by derwin View Post
    transfer files (such as large videos) to another Pre via Wi-Fi?
    Oh, you want to transfer files between phones? I don't think there are any methods of doing this, and I know for a fact that "wifi media sync" cannot do this.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    is there a way to schedule an automatic sync for the usb files and say PalmDatabase.db3 over wifi at night to another computer/online storage? that would be awesome...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    is there a way to schedule an automatic sync for the usb files and say PalmDatabase.db3 over wifi at night to another computer/online storage? that would be awesome...
    Sure. Just run the OpenSSH SFTP server from Preware (as noted in previous posts in this thread).

Any Mac or Linux computer has cron and rsync and can do this automatic transfer. All for free. Seems you only have to pay for this basic synchronisation capability if you're on Windows.

A lot of QNAP and Synology NAS boxes can do the same.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hmm...sounds like a good home brew app to request a developer to make for us non-devs...unless wifi sync app does all that already.
    Everything on the Pre side is done by OpenSSH SFTP Server. You need someone to do a host-based app for whatever desktop computer you're using to initiate the transfer.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Any Mac or Linux computer has cron and rsync and can do this automatic transfer. All for free. Seems you only have to pay for this basic synchronisation capability if you're on Windows.
    Not sure what you mean by "automatic", but WinSCP is freeware for Windows that has the following folder sync options:
    * You can synchronize directories by manually uploading and downloading the changed files. For this you may find useful features like Synchronize browsing and Compare directories or transfer option Newer and updated file(s) only.
    * You can use function Synchronize to let WinSCP do the synchronization for you.
    * If you make your changes locally and immediately upload the changed files to remote directory, you can make this much easier by making WinSCP watch for changes you make and automatically reflecting them on the remote directory using the function Keep remote directory up to date.
    * If you happen to have the same files locally and remotely with the different timestamps, you can update them without transferring the files again. Use function Synchronize in Synchronize timestamps mode.
    * You can fully automate some synchronization tasks using scripting.
    Goodsync for Windows and Mac (can't vouch for the latter) has a free and paid version. It'll sync to and from a number of sources: local, removable and network storage as well as Amazon S3, Windows Mobile devices, FTP, SFTP and WebDAV. SFTP and WebDAV are both possible options for webOS so you'd be able to wirelessly sync between 2 different devices that way... but you'd still need a desktop machine to do it.

There's no end of command line support built in to it and it'll even email you once a sync has completed. I use Goodsync to handle all my Pre syncing stuff and it works really well. And no, I'm nothing to do with flogging it... just a happy user
    Re: Goodsync free version, from their faq:
    Q: What are free version limitations?
    A: You can have 3 or less jobs in free version and 100 or less files and folders in each job.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I understand that these programs will sync the usb portion, but what about the palmdatabase.db3 file. my phone unexpectedly erased everything (except the patches and services), so i lost a lot of data. I'm just looking for a way to prevent that from happening again i guess. I do run windows, and could set up a linux machine, but my linux lingo is not as well versed as windows.

on a side note, i'm not trying to take over this thread, so if i need to start one of my own, i would be more than happy to.
    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    Oh, you want to transfer files between phones? I don't think there are any methods of doing this, and I know for a fact that "wifi media sync" cannot do this.
    You're right ,Wifi Media Sync cannot transfer between phones, however, if you have a PC on the same network, you could use Wifi Media Sync to have one person upload the files to the PC and the other user to download it to their phone using Wifi Media Sync...
    Wifi Media Sync 3.0 now available for PC and Mac OSX.
    I understand that these programs will sync the usb portion, but what about the palmdatabase.db3 file.
    The SFTP method allows access to your phone's entire storage over wi-fi. The screenshot below shows the WinSCP client accessing my local files (on left) and my phone's files (on right). You can see the palmdatabase.db file, which I manually copied to my local files. You could also automate the copying.

Attached Images Attached Images
    canderoc I use winscp and have never seen an automated option. What is the procedure to automate the syncing?

THanks canderoc I never knew that synchronize function was there. Great find!!
    Last edited by mamouton; 06/28/2010 at 07:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    well looks like i have a LOT of reading to do... but i really appreciate the help.

other than palmdatabase.db3, is there anything else i should back up that is not directly accessable on the usb drive?

Also, I know this prob can't be answered 100% certainly, but will this affect, or be effected by OTA updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    canderoc I use winscp and have never seen an automated option. What is the procedure to automate the syncing?
    Here's the info from WinSCP site. Regarding automation, it will automatically sync or update your phone when it detects a file has changed in a sync'd folder on your computer, but not visa-versa (i.e. it cannot initiate a sync when files change on the phone because it cannot detect remote file changes). But, you can use the scheduler (with scripting) to automatically sync at certain intervals.

I also find the integration with the Windows Explorer context menu useful. If there is a file/folder I want to copy to my phone, I just right-click on it, click "Send To", then select "MyPre (upload using SFTP)". WinSCP automatically connects to my phone, asks where to put the folder, then uploads it.
    Is there ever going to be Bluetooth transfer?
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Is there ever going to be Bluetooth transfer?
    patients is a virtue:

http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    Is that what that meant? I've read that article a bunch I just didn't know what that meant. Sweet.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast