Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    Hmm... Let me try that. Haha. I'm about to reinstall the warthog kernal. I took it off just now & tried the f102... Umm... So far my phone has restarted 5 times. Haha. So we're going back to warthog...
    I think the warthog kernel is the bitter bleeding edge of kernel development and might not be very stable in the long run. I'm just tossing it out there, but you might want to try the F104A. you can select different governors and it lets you scale from 250mhz to 800mhz. Plus it has compcache if you want to use it. I personally used it on my sprint pre before i moved to the F105. I'm a pretty big fan of the conservative governor with a 16mb compcache.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    I think the warthog kernel is the bitter bleeding edge of kernel development and might not be very stable in the long run. I'm just tossing it out there, but you might want to try the F104A. you can select different governors and it lets you scale from 250mhz to 800mhz. Plus it has compcache if you want to use it. I personally used it on my sprint pre before i moved to the F105. I'm a pretty big fan of the conservative governor with a 16mb compcache.
    Can you explain what compcache mean? What does that do?
    Can you explain what compcache mean? What does that do?
    Well from what i understand is compcache takes away some ram and compresses it so that you can basically store twice as much in it without having to go to the swap space which is much slower. As you open apps they fill up the rest of the ram and then once it hits swap space you get the really bad lag. You know when you open a card and it hangs or you goto select and icon and nothing happens right away. Compcache buys you a little extra time from hitting the swap space. its a little slower then main memory due to compressing and uncompressing but much faster then swap.

My sprint pre without having any apps open is using 232mb of main memory (it only has 256mb total). So for opening facebook, email, twitter etc fills it up really quick and my phone would lag much sooner. So for me compcache helps.

Prior to using compcache my pre could barely handle 20 apps open at a time. With it and a custom kernel I can open 40+ apps.

Using it is really up to you. Depends on how many apps you use at a time and how often you hit that slow down point.

I would recommend Sprint pre compcache enabled @ 16mb.
    Pre Plus compcache disabled.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    if you enable the very last option, it's for advanced users. Than, go to the options & type in 800000 and see if that works.
    I've tried that too, but its a no-go. I have tried all of the different govenors and tried different speed configurations, I still cant get it to land on 800mHz at all..
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    Well from what i understand is compcache takes away some ram and compresses it so that you can basically store twice as much in it without having to go to the swap space which is much slower. As you open apps they fill up the rest of the ram and then once it hits swap space you get the really bad lag. You know when you open a card and it hangs or you goto select and icon and nothing happens right away. Compcache buys you a little extra time from hitting the swap space. its a little slower then main memory due to compressing and uncompressing but much faster then swap.

My sprint pre without having any apps open is using 232mb of main memory (it only has 256mb total). So for opening facebook, email, twitter etc fills it up really quick and my phone would lag much sooner. So for me compcache helps.

Prior to using compcache my pre could barely handle 20 apps open at a time. With it and a custom kernel I can open 40+ apps.

Using it is really up to you. Depends on how many apps you use at a time and how often you hit that slow down point.

I would recommend Sprint pre compcache enabled @ 16mb.
    Pre Plus compcache disabled.
    Cool! That makes a little bit of sense. Haha. But I will definitley try this out. I will try f104A. Thanks sooo much!!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    I've tried that too, but its a no-go. I have tried all of the different govenors and tried different speed configurations, I still cant get it to land on 800mHz at all..
    Hmm.... I'm not sure then. That's strange. I don't understand what the point of having the option to type in the number it's self if it doesn't work. But idk what else. Sorry.
    That's because the Warthog experimental series of kernels is not designed for end-users. The particular version you happen to be running does not have an 800MHz option for instance, whereas the version before it did, and the version after it may have a 900MHz option instead depending on the whim of what the developer is trying to experiment with at that point in time.

Unless you are closely following the git source code repository checkins, and can determine what Warthog kernel is supposed to be doing based on that, then you shouldn't be using it. It's an experimental test-bed, not a kernel for end-users. You will get no warning of drastic changes in it's operation, the documentation will not be kept up to date, and most questions about it will be ignored.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Hmm.... I'm not sure then. That's strange. I don't understand what the point of having the option to type in the number it's self if it doesn't work. But idk what else. Sorry.
    You have to look at two things here, the operation of Govnah, which is designed as a control mechanism, and then you have the individual kernels that are set up to do different things.

The UberKernel is the only one really intended for the general Homebrew community, and as such, will have more options. Unixpsycho is pushing things on the speed front(currently the 105 seems to be his focus). Since the point of 105 is to test things at 1GHz at the moment, there is no other "overclocked" settings.

So, if you want options, stick to UberKernel, and if you want to live closer to "the edge", then be prepared for fewer options.

On the positive side, features and improvements make their way into UberKernel at a reasonable speed, so you will probably see many of the new cutting edge stuff in Uber within a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's because the Warthog experimental series of kernels is not designed for end-users. The particular version you happen to be running does not have an 800MHz option for instance, whereas the version before it did, and the version after it may have a 900MHz option instead depending on the whim of what the developer is trying to experiment with at that point in time.

Unless you are closely following the git source code repository checkins, and can determine what Warthog kernel is supposed to be doing based on that, then you shouldn't be using it. It's an experimental test-bed, not a kernel for end-users. You will get no warning of drastic changes in it's operation, the documentation will not be kept up to date, and most questions about it will be ignored.

-- Rod
    thanks rod, I acctually realized that after I posted,warthog doesn't have the 800mHz option enabled would be a solid reason why I can't scale to that setting.

I will post any issues that I run across, but I still haven't come up on any with the warthog kernels perameters. It seems to be a very solid kernel for general/heavy use..
    the phone froze today during a scheduled reboot. I was listening to a palmcast podcast through DrPodder, reset scheduler triggered to reset and started the reboot.

The phone froze with the little grey spinner before the palm logo screen shows.

kernel is warthog-58, govnah settings at screenstate 125mHz/1005mHz.

pulled battery and phone booted just fine. No other issues and running normal again.

sj
    the phone froze today during a scheduled reboot. I was listening to a palmcast podcast through DrPodder, reset scheduler triggered to reset and started the reboot.

The phone froze with the little grey spinner before the palm logo screen shows.

kernel is warthog-58, govnah settings at screenstate 125mHz/1005mHz.

pulled battery and phone booted just fine. No other issues and running normal again.

sj
    I cant help but wonder why you are using an experimental Kernel. What exactly makes you think it is a good idea to do so? Why is it that after reading rwhitby's post that you don't get the hint and use a Kernel meant for end users?
    because people are hardheaded. Imho
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    because people are hardheaded. Imho
    hehe...i lost that battle
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstarcow View Post
    I cant help but wonder why you are using an experimental Kernel. What exactly makes you think it is a good idea to do so? Why is it that after reading rwhitby's post that you don't get the hint and use a Kernel meant for end users?
    because he can?
    Sorry, I am new to this, would you please explain how to download and install the files.Thanks Chris
    I like that my phone is faster now that I have overclocked it to 800mhz, but the fact is that the battery is worst now before and isnt worth it. I can't image how bad my phone will be being overclocked at 1ghz... I can just see it now, im stranded some where and I have no juice in my phone becasue I wanted my phone to be faster. WebOS really needs to use the capability of the pre's processor correctly, it doesnt. It has 1900 ghz processer. and its defaulted with 600 mhz.. lol I hope the webOS can speed up the processor and not use as much of the battery with the new udpdate.... well see.
    Quote Originally Posted by benroybal1986 View Post
    I like that my phone is faster now that I have overclocked it to 800mhz, but the fact is that the battery is worst now before and isnt worth it. I can't image how bad my phone will be being overclocked at 1ghz... I can just see it now, im stranded some where and I have no juice in my phone becasue I wanted my phone to be faster. WebOS really needs to use the capability of the pre's processor correctly, it doesnt. It has 1900 ghz processer. and its defaulted with 600 mhz.. lol I hope the webOS can speed up the processor and not use as much of the battery with the new udpdate.... well see.
    1900 ghz?? Do you mean 600 MHz? Typo perhaps?
    I think someone is getting processor frequency and cellular radio frequency confused.

-- Rod
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12