Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I did properly remove f105, reboot, install warthog, and reboot. I received no errors.

I did doctor earlier today.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I just reinstalled correctly and still no launcher icon. This is, I believe, -57.
  3.    #23  
    the way to tell if the kernel is installed will be one of 2 ways, in preware, under your installed apps in the kernel area, you should see that kernel listed.

Also, the only way to read your kernel settings will be through a scaling app, like govnah. Check your settings there and see if you are running the kernel.
  4.    #24  
    warthog 57 installed perfect with no issues at all. I will update if I find any problems on this side..
    WarthogKernel is the series of experimental kernels used for testing various things related to kernel compiler flags and other kernel configuration parameters.

F10x is the series of experimental kernels used for testing overclocking.

SBromwichKernel is the series of experimental kernels used for testing extreme battery saving techniques (often at the expense of correct functionality).

Anyone is welcome to alpha test any of the above, as long as you are an effective alpha tester (see Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals for your responsibilities as an alpha tester).

Be aware that Warthog and SBromwich kernels are usually put into the alpha testing feed with minimal (and sometimes no) developer testing - e.g. they may easily cause your device to not boot. There is absolutely no attempt to make these stable in any way before letting them loose.

F10x is given a bit more testing before being released into the alpha testing feed.

All of them contribute tested reliable features into UberKernel.

UberKernel is the only kernel that then publishes these features (after having been through alpha testing in UberKernel in the alpha testing feed) in a configurable way for the mainstream public feeds.

None of kernels other than UberKernel are ever intended to leave the alpha testing feed and be used by the general Preware public.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    WarthogKernel is the series of experimental kernels used for testing various things related to kernel compiler flags and other kernel configuration parameters.

F10x is the series of experimental kernels used for testing overclocking.

SBromwichKernel is the series of experimental kernels used for testing extreme battery saving techniques (often at the expense of correct functionality).

Anyone is welcome to alpha test any of the above, as long as you are an effective alpha tester (see [url= Feeds - WebOS Internals[/url] for your responsibilities as an alpha tester).

Be aware that Warthog and SBromwich kernels are usually put into the alpha testing feed with minimal (and sometimes no) developer testing - e.g. they may easily cause your device to not boot. There is absolutely no attempt to make these stable in any way before letting them loose.

F10x is given a bit more testing before being released into the alpha testing feed.

All of them contribute tested reliable features into UberKernel.

UberKernel is the only kernel that then publishes these features (after having been through alpha testing in UberKernel in the alpha testing feed) in a configurable way for the mainstream public feeds.

None of kernels other than UberKernel are ever intended to leave the alpha testing feed and be used by the general Preware public.

-- Rod
    thanks for the explination rod, I know some folks were still needing to know what the difference was.
  7.    #27  
    btw,warthog has had very good battery consumption. When scaled to default settings, less than 4% drain, when scaled sceenstate from 500/1000, i have seen a peak of 18% drain.

sj

update:

I have seen a dramatically improved battery life with the warthog kernel.. I will post a screenshot of my stats..
    Last edited by sjsharksfan; 06/28/2010 at 02:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I concur, battery life has been excellent for me so far.
    I actually just went back to the latest beta Uberkernel. I experienced a 30% drain in less than an hour with moderate usage, way too much drain for me considering I'm not around a charger this weekend.
    Tks. Rod for the xplanation.... I better still stay with Uber for now
    Last edited by jobito8; 06/28/2010 at 12:48 AM.
    I have a question and an issue with Warthog currently.

Question: Why doesn't screen state do 800Mhz?

Issue: When Govnah is on and recording the performance, it doesn't seem to notice any difference between the times the screen is on and off, it seems to treat it all as if it was always on. Am I the only one with this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    I have a question and an issue with Warthog currently.

Question: Why doesn't screen state do 800Mhz?

Issue: When Govnah is on and recording the performance, it doesn't seem to notice any difference between the times the screen is on and off, it seems to treat it all as if it was always on. Am I the only one with this issue?
    Did you read my previous post in this thread?

Which part of 'not intended for end user experimental testbed' is not getting through clearly enough?

And questions about Govnah operation should only be asked after reading every post in the Govnah thread. This is a clear requirement of alpha testers.

-- Rod
    Just following step 4 in the Alpha testing creed, sorry to step on your toes or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Just following step 4 in the Alpha testing creed, sorry to step on your toes or something.
    You're not stepping on anyone's toes - but asking questions about Govnah in a thread about a kernel that is not meant for end users.

So I'm just calibrating your expectation of getting an answer from the developers of those things here.

-- Rod
  15.    #35  
    well, I was very impressed with my battery stats, this pic is of battery monitor after being open for over 17 hours. I also had govnah, preware, the palm app catalogue, cloud hopper, my email and a web browser open..

like I said, I was extremely impressed with what I saw..

(govnah's settings were set to 500mHz/1005mHz screenstate
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    is this with a standard palm battery? what are your email push settings and how many accounts?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    well, I was very impressed with my battery stats, this pic is of battery monitor after being open for over 17 hours. I also had govnah, preware, the palm app catalogue, cloud hopper, my email and a web browser open..

Wow! 1% drain over 17+ hours??? Were you on wifi the whole time? Did you even use the phone? I'm not questioning your observation, but that just seems way too good to be true.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

And which version of Govnah & which kernel did you get these results with? CompCache? And which Pre/Pixi do you you have?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You're not stepping on anyone's toes - but asking questions about Govnah in a thread about a kernel that is not meant for end users.

So I'm just calibrating your expectation of getting an answer from the developers of those things here.

-- Rod
    Ah. So it's a Govnah issue, I thought it was a kernel issue, hence me asking here.

Paint me a cynic, but I don't think that's physically possible. Unless you were plugged in for a while... a long while.

This makes no sense at all to me.

Sorry, no offense, but suffering from such horrendous battery life myself, I can't even begin to imagine how that is remotely possible. (For ANY phone let alone the Pre...)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast