Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I realized last night that the Palm Pre and Moto Droid have almost the same hardware, except for the screen resolution, and probably some components like the camera, etc.

But the major point is that they both use the same SoC.

In addition some quick googling revealed this, http://www.precentral.net/could-andr...roken-palm-pre, a precentral article from January of last year stating that it could be possible, and some other articles spread around the internet suggesting that this was a very possible task, but every article I've found points to http://palmwebosblog.com/palm-pre-ja...s-alternative/, which is now dead. Waybackmachine has failed, as did google cache. Is there another place that we can access cached versions of this webpage, or another place where this information is being kept?

EDIT:

I've done some more digging. TI started a group that ported android to work on the OMAP3430 processors and installation instructions for installing Android to OMAP development hardware can be found here: http://omappedia.org/wiki/Android_Getting_Started .

https://gforge.ti.com/gf/project/oma...readView&id=51 has pre-built binaries for the OMAP 3630, which is identical to the 3430 except that it is built on a 45nm process instead of 65nm, so there should be no difference.

So all that remains to be done is to download those binaries (or compile from source for even more fun), use the last resort recovery method to flash uBoot instead of Palm's Bootie, and then presumably use the alternative recovery method to load the Android environment variables, kernel, and system files as defined here.

Unfortunately it looks like Palm decided to use a touchscreen controller other than the one included on the 3430 so we would probably need some kind of driver for that..

I'm trying to think of other reasons this wouldn't work and i just can't, although admittedly I have little experience in this area. I don't expect it to work perfectly right off the bat of course, but Just booting into Android would be an accomplishment. I would totally try this right now myself, but since my Pre is my only phone I can't risk something going wrong. I will be switching to the Epic when that is released (sorry guys! It's simply the sexiest phone on Sprint and my upgrade is coming in a couple weeks!), and will then be free to try this out myself.

Thanks to Mr Roman for some of these links!
    Last edited by Roisen; 08/05/2010 at 02:54 AM.
    why? i would rather try to get webos on a droid.
    https://gforge.ti.com/gf/project/omapandroid/
    Current project to get the android running on OMAP.
    http://omappedia.org/wiki/OMAP_Android

I personally would love to see it done.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedood View Post
    why? i would rather try to get webos on a droid.
    Because I want see if I can.

I'm sure it would be just as easy to port webOS to the Droid as it is to port Android to the Pre, but one way involves more lawyers than the other.
    It would be interesting from a purely techy standpoint. But I would MUCH rather see WebOS running on some of the Android hardware that's out there.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    android on my pre? Eew, no thanks. I'd better want webOS on an Android device
    How exactly would gestures work on android hardware?...just a thought.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    <smart_alec mode=on>
    exactly? you make the gesture and the phone just sits there with a puzzled look on it screen (face?) that's how it would work, exactly. :-)
    <smart_alec mode=off>

I think I'm low on my meds, gonna go take a pill for that now. Resume serious thread.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    Map the back button to the back gesture (like Esc. on the emulator), home to swipe up, etc.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
  11.    #11  
    Yes, I like everyone else in the world would love to have webOS running on some of the great android hardware that's out there, but webOS is not open source. Android is however. Mostly I want to see if it can be done, because it would be a fun project. The end goal of course would be to be able to dual-boot between webOS and android on the palm pre.
    Well, to be honest, I'm pretty much a palm fan boi, but I likes me my gadgets. I will never buy an android device, I'll wait for the HPalm goodness, but I think it would be fun to put froyo on my pre just to play around with it, see what is good about it and what things would benefit webOS. I learned alot about Windows 7 when my work switched me to a Mac. like hitting the windows key activates a "spotlight" like search tool that is really useful. I didn't know that and coming at the desktop OS world from a Mac point of view broadened my horizons. But I'm still a Windows kind of guy. I think I could benefit from doing things the "android way" for a while to see what I could be looking for in webOS.

So by all means, install android on webOS, I'm game and will install it for fun.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    I doubt anyone will read this, but I found a page that teaches you how to do it: Episode 20 – How To Flash Palm Pre With Google Android | Bauer-Power- Information is Power! I haven't watched the video yet since I'm on my pre right now, but it sounds promising...
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk3lleton View Post
    I doubt anyone will read this, but I found a page that teaches you how to do it: Episode 20 How To Flash Palm Pre With Google Android | Bauer-Power- Information is Power! I haven't watched the video yet since I'm on my pre right now, but it sounds promising...
    lol-Great video very informative!
    I doubt anyone will read this, but I found a page that teaches you how to do it: Episode 20 How To Flash Palm Pre With Google Android | Bauer-Power- Information is Power! I haven't watched the video yet since I'm on my pre right now, but it sounds promising...
    You have got to watch that video. I just took a spare Pre I had and put Android on it. It is okay to run, but with Froyo and Flash, it is pretty good even with slight sluggishness.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    You have got to watch that video. I just took a spare Pre I had and put Android on it. It is okay to run, but with Froyo and Flash, it is pretty good even with slight sluggishness.
    So it works? How hard is it to the average non-developer on a scale of 1 to 100?
    So it works? How hard is it to the average non-developer on a scale of 1 to 100?
    Not very hard, 1 on the scale of toughness, ...

April fools day was quite some time ago .....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    Ok I'm going to have to try it. I wish I could get a used pre really cheap and test it on that, I don't want to screw mine up lol

Wait... It was posted April 1st? Is it an April Fools joke? I haven't been on my compuer in wweks and still haven't watched it.
    Last edited by Sk3lleton; 07/04/2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Ok I'm going to have to try it. I wish I could get a used pre really cheap and test it on that, I don't want to screw mine up lol

Wait... It was posted April 1st? Is it an April Fools joke? I haven't been on my compuer in wweks and still haven't watched it.
    Nah... Who would do a sickly humorous joke like that??
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    hey, I'm selling this perfectly good bridge for like, nothin. Anybody interested?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast