Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    hey, I'm selling this perfectly good bridge for like, nothin. Anybody interested?
    I'll take it! Is it the bridge from Earth to Mars that they keep talking about??? If so, I can have an extra home in Mars!!
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Seriously, though, I'd like to do this.
    I would too, especially as a dual-boot. BUt any time someone asks, they get "Why would you want to do that?" and "I'd ratyher put WebOS on an android phone" instead of any actual support. Can someone take us seriously? Can anyone really put android on a pre? Will anyone ever stop mocking us long enough to try?
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    I would love to see this as well I have googled it a few times over the year and haven't been able to find much of a breakthrough. I just like the option.
    for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want Android running on their Pre. I like my Pre, but the hardware isn't that much different than the MotoDroid other than horizontal keyboard and being slightly larger, I'd be much happier if webOS ran on HTC hardware... although I haven't seen any android with a physical keyboard that i like any better...

What am I missing?
    There are 4 ways to look at it. #1- You dislike WebOS and want to replace it #2- You want android on your Pre just for kicks, for casual use, or a dual boot #3- You couldn't care less about android and would rather just not talk about getting it on the Pre #4- You have no idea what we're talking about here. You can of course be a mix of those, but personally I'm in the #2 crowd
    Man, I've been wondering about this for a while. I never even considered how to do it technically though. Great thinking on the Droid's hardware.I come from the iOS (iPod Touch really- never bought the iPhone) jailbreaking world (as a user, not a developer mind you) and one of the things I got interested in a while ago was a project called OpeniBoot which was an effort to replace the iPhone's stock bootloader, called (unsurprisingly) iBoot. The reason that they'd want to replace iBoot is because they wanted to dual-boot the iPhone. They worked by reverse-engeneering iBoot and after a lot of very careful coding and testing created OpeniBoot. The major difference is that with OpeniBoot, instead of immediately booting into iOS you saw a menu to choose the OS- either iOS or a Linux console which you'd connect to a computer and control via it's keyboard. It stayed that way till April 21st this year when Planetbeing showed his port of Android to the iPhone. The entire OS. I decided to flash OpeniBoot to my first gen iPod Touch. I hadn't been using it much because I got my Pre so I had to do something with it, right? Running Android at 400 MHz is, unsurprisingly, not the greatest (well, iOS is a drag on that hardware too!) and it's very unstable. I have to say, I don't love Android- I think it's still a "for geeks, by geeks" OS and can't recommend it to non geeks and I much prefer webOS. I like playing around with it though and think it has potential, and of course there's that geeky "because-I-can" mentality as well. I'd like to be able to have Android on my Pre- I'm fine without it, and it's mainly just for kicks I admit, but it would be cool to have. Sorry for the long rambling story up there but I felt it would be helpful to explain why this interests me.
    But I also wanted to bring up one question: would we need to do something like the devs of OpeniBoot and replace the Pre's bootloader? I mean, does Bootie even have support for dual-booting? If it doesn't that means you'd need to replace the bootloader- you can't "patch" a bootloader, it's written to (keep in mind, everything I say from this point on I'm really not sure about and didn't check over- you should not take my words as being too accurate because my understanding of the following information still isn't complete) what's called the NOR flash which is a totally separate chip from where everything else is stored (that's on the NAND) and can't be written to too many times (I'd say... 10 max?) because it deteriorates the chip when you write to it. You can write to it, but you need to be very judicious about it. Thanks for bringing this idea up!

On an unrelated note, according to the awesome webOS-Internals wiki the Pre's bootloader, Bootie, is very similar to iBoot. They're both based on uBoot so that makes sense.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
  8. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    iBoot, uBoot, we all need a boot!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk3lleton View Post
    There are 4 ways to look at it. #1- You dislike WebOS and want to replace it #2- You want android on your Pre just for kicks, for casual use, or a dual boot #3- You couldn't care less about android and would rather just not talk about getting it on the Pre #4- You have no idea what we're talking about here. You can of course be a mix of those, but personally I'm in the #2 crowd
    Im part of the #5 crowd. Switched to an android phone in June, have a couple of Pre phones that would actually be useful again as home phones if I could get android and/or sip for webos running on it.

Seriously though, Cyanogen has a branch for the OMAP processors: http://github.com/CyanogenMod/kernel-omap Been looking at this casually for the last month seeing what it would take to get a port to Pre/Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    Im part of the #5 crowd. Switched to an android phone in June, have a couple of Pre phones that would actually be useful again as home phones if I could get android and/or sip for webos running on it.

Seriously though, Cyanogen has a branch for the OMAP processors: [url] Been looking at this casually for the last month seeing what it would take to get a port to Pre/Pixi
    Ok if we include switches and everything else there's hundreds of types. I meant the idea of getting android on the Pre has only 4 options
  11. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Seems like you are taking the weak point of one phone and installing on the weak point of the other. I would prefer strong to strong - webos on better hardware.
    well, in that case - I want webos running on that new mytouch slider that tmobile just launched. It's the closest hardware to the pre, but with solid htc hardware...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbo View Post
    Seems like you are taking the weak point of one phone and installing on the weak point of the other. I would prefer strong to strong - webos on better hardware.
    A year ago I would have agreed with you. To me, having a better UI doesnt matter when you cant do anything advanced (non gaming) on the phone (VoiceDial, Wyse RDP/VNC, SIP, Shazam, Barcode, Amazon, Zillow, Mint, BoA, Kindle, Ebay, Tasker, Meebo, BT HID, TTS, etc)

I just want to breath some life into my old hardware as I actually like the Palm Pre/Pixi size and wireless charging dock. This weekend Im going to see if I can get a WebOS/CM6 hybrid kernel initrd displaying something to the screen.
    Last edited by zonyl; 08/02/2010 at 07:33 AM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbo View Post
    Seems to me like you didn't read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    A year ago I would have agreed with you. To me, having a better UI doesnt matter when you cant do anything advanced (non gaming) on the phone (VoiceDial, Wyse RDP/VNC, SIP, Shazam, Barcode, Amazon, Zillow, Mint, BoA, Kindle, Ebay, Tasker, Meebo, BT HID, TTS, etc)

I just want to breath some life into my old hardware as I actually like the Palm Pre/Pixi size and wireless charging dock. This weekend Im going to see if I can get a WebOS/CM6 hybrid kernel initrd displaying something to the screen.
    Awesome to see that someone with some decent experience is trying this. Let us know how it turns out
    Last edited by Roisen; 08/05/2010 at 02:52 AM.
  15.    #35  
    Friendly bump
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Any luck with this?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    If you think about it, the gesture area of the Pre is really a second touch screen without the display capabilities of a normal touchscreen. With that said, it MIGHT be possible to take a normal Android device and segment the display with the lower area of the touch screen mapped as a gesture area. Since it IS a display, it could even be made to be black with an emulation of the LED as you use that area for gestures.

The lack of a physical keyboard might be a bit of a challenge, but there is a patch for an on-screen keyboard, so it might be doable. Does anyone know if the current gesture area on the Pre is actually treated as a different device than the screen, or is it just an extension of the screen and used as an input-only area?
    There's an android emulator for PC you just need an ROM. Is it possible to hack/patch/somehow use that to get the boot files on the Pre?
    I would too, especially as a dual-boot. BUt any time someone asks, they get "Why would you want to do that?" and "I'd ratyher put WebOS on an android phone" instead of any actual support. Can someone take us seriously? Can anyone really put android on a pre? Will anyone ever stop mocking us long enough to try?
    I agree, this exactly sums up my thoughts.
    I think while most of us can agree we would rather have Webos on Droid hardware, The real point of this is to show that things like this are possible and could be possiblethe way we want it
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12