Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    A couple of days ago I switched over from F104A to Warthog. Before I get over to my problem, let me go through my kernel history since my last trip to the Doctor.

I have run various versions of Marco's compcache kernels (1.4?, 1.5, F104), installed outside of Preware. When F104A became available through Preware, I uninstalled (via Preware) the F104 kernel and installed F104A. When I decided to test Warthog I uninstalled F104A, again, through Preware, then I installed Warthog.

My experience with Warthog itself was unremarkable. I was not going to install F105, but since it showed up in Preware I decided to give it a try. So, last night I uninstalled Warthog through Preware, rebooted, then tried to install F105. However, it found several files that were modified and refused to install. I had to install the recovery kernel first, and then F105 installed.

Since this, the only things I have installed are, of course, the recovery kernel, F105, and a govnah update. Would the ipkg log still have anything interesting in it? If so, where is it located?
    Thanks for the detailed report. Are you able to reproduce the problem by repeating the steps?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I have not tried to do so yet, and currently Warthog is at a newer version than I had installed so it wouldn't necessarily be a good test.
    The packaging of warthog hasn't changed in that time.

Are you able to do the test?

Other questions:

Did you ever accept a webOS update with a custom kernel installed?

Did you uninstall each of Marco's kernels correctly before installing the next?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I can try it, probably tonight (central US).

I have never had a webOS update with a custom kernel installed, however, please see the threads about spontaneous resets and USB drive erasure. I did have a previous version of one of Marco's kernels installed when that happened to me. However, I did visit the doctor afterwards (which is where my history above begins).
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    All done via preware:

I uninstalled F105 and rebooted.
    I installed Warthog and rebooted.
    I uninstall Warthog and rebooted.
    I installed F105 and rebooted.

Everything behaved correctly this time.
    Rob... could i get your help... I tried to install the warthog kernel via preware and had to reboot after installing... unfortunetely my phone is now in the never ending Reboot cycle and i can not get it out of it. and I can not doctor the phone either it reboots before the Doctor can do anything. What should i do?
    Quote Originally Posted by silversuperman View Post
    Rob... could i get your help... I tried to install the warthog kernel via preware and had to reboot after installing... unfortunetely my phone is now in the never ending Reboot cycle and i can not get it out of it. and I can not doctor the phone either it reboots before the Doctor can do anything. What should i do?
    s/Rob/Rod/

Hold the volume up button during power on to get into recovery mode.

I'm assuming you had a previous kernel installed that did not come from Preware and did not uninstall it properly.

If you know how to build the Meta-Doctor, you can do a memboot here, go in and remove the /etc/event.d/compcache file, and then reboot.

Otherwise, if you're not already a Meta-Doctor expert, just run the doctor from this recovery mode.

Details of recovery mode are on the webos-internal Recovery wiki page.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ahhh.... My Savior... Worked perfectly... Thank you so much Rob. I really appreciate your help... And Amazingly quick response.... one might think... you were not human. :-P J/k Seriously Thank you again. :-D