Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Email freeze's to often for me I had to remove it
    I am having this freezing problem all of a sudden, too ... but it's not Govnah/Kernel problem, because I haven't installed those yet.

This is a reasonably new AT&T Pre Plus which didn't do it at first, but has started in the last 10 days or fewer. One of my newer programs must be polling for data too often, but I can't figure it out.
    Two things that may help: 1- Restart your phone once a day, either with PresetReset or manually,
    2- When your phone starts to act laggy, Restart Java. Also running Garbage collection periodically also helps.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Hi guys,

Im new to the forum but i do have little knowledge about the pre. Ive got the pre plus on O2 uk and ive overclocked it using uberkernal with govnah control and since then my emails/exchange have stop functioning properly on 3g network type. the only solution i have to resolve the issue atm is not gr8 as i have to either restart the phone or i change its network type to 2g only . also my phone's number doesnt shown in the device info card, i was wondering is this becoz i had my number transferred?? but i know that on the iphone its not the case.. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve these issues as i really love the phone. my main gripe is the email issue as i need it for work. thanks
    I'm having this issue on a Pre Plus on VZW with no overclocking. PresetReset everynight and still have the problem. Seems to have gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. Caused by an app.? I've installed more recently because of the 1/2 price sale. Haven't had time yet to work backwards uninstalling apps.
    hi guys

me again, i "acquired" the 3d games for the pre plus using the forums on this site however ive ran into a problem, they all work great except for Asphalt 5, but my main issue is that they now require an update thru palm app cat but obviously this cant be done as palm doesnt recognise the purchase(as there was none). what can i do to get around this or get them working again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadVenom View Post
    hi guys

me again, i "acquired" the 3d games for the pre plus using the forums on this site however ive ran into a problem, they all work great except for Asphalt 5, but my main issue is that they now require an update thru palm app cat but obviously this cant be done as palm doesnt recognise the purchase(as there was none). what can i do to get around this or get them working again.
    PreCentral, as well as PreCentral users do not condone nor do they assist in discussion of pirating. If everyone steals apps, there will be no app catalog, then there will be no WebOS.
    do apologise, didnt realise this was the case. :-(
    I too felt my pre feeling sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. I did a doc on it,wiping everything clean. I'm just installing patches and apps that I really need. Honestly, my pre feel better and performing really good. I'm putting on patches that make the interface look complete. I was running near to a hundred patches or so.

My question is.. Is having too much patches slows down your phone? Ps. (I'm not talking those that work in the background)
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    My question is.. Is having too much patches slows down your phone? Ps. (I'm not talking those that work in the background)
    As long as they don't impend on any major functions, you can have as many as you like, from what I've seen.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    137 Patches so far...no problems

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    My suspicion: World Cup Manager (in my case).

FWIW, the standard settings for this App (which is otherwise great right now) are to check for updates every 15 minutes. I changed the preferences for the App to check manually, and things have improved. Still have some lag occasionally, but not as bad as it was.
    I have screenstate with a min freq at 250 and max freq at 600. When my battery was down to 15% it was stuck on the lower freq of 250 until i charged it. I don't know what was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    Do you guys have NewsRoom installed?
    Why did you ask about Newsroom? I'm having a problem where the phone bogs down. I'll open JSTop and often find Newsroom running in the background! I have it set to manual updates only. It should never run unless the card is open.
    using jstop to clean out unused apps (that are not well behaved about cleaning up) is a good idea

doing so also helps prevent unexpected battery drain
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Yeah, this kind of thing can happen w/UberKernel. I defer here to rwhitby's explanation, but as I understand it, UberKernel (in it's more recent iterations) has changed the condition where the TMC error is detected and signaled to Luna. Instead of giving the TMC, UK elects to swap to flash. The problem with this is that flash space is really, really slow. And when swapping to flash, the whole OS boggs down momentarily.

By default, both the stock palm kernel and UK swap to flash. The stock Palm kernel swaps less frequently, though. Instead it has an agressive memory limit and will signal a condition for a TMC error more frequently. UK on the other hand, doesn't try as hard to prevent swapping, and allows swapping to flash to happen. Of course, at the cost of bogging down while it's swapping.

You can make the situation a little better by enabling compcache, which allocates memory and then gives it back to you as compressed swap space. So you'll swap more often, but you'll get back swap space that's a LOT faster than writing to/from flash. You pay for this with slightly slower access to RAM as pages that go to compcache must be compressed and decompressed.

Essentially, your choices are this:
    • Stock kernel: no overclocking, pretty consistent speed, but with most frequent TMC errors
    • UberKernel w/o compcache: overclocking, w/fewer TMC errors, but bogged down when swapping to flash
    • UberKernel w/compcache: overclocking, w/fewer TMC errors, more consistent speed, but slightly less consistant than stock

Now there's a non-zero probability that rwhitby will comment on this thread and chastise my explanation. If that happens, he's right and I'm wrong.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Based on the way they are developing the kernels, you should be booting at 500 mhz. From a couple of Rods posts as well as rule 4 of the principles of kernel design, the kernels are designed to boot at factory speed until govnah (or script, etc) has been launched to set your profile.

Check principle number 4 here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...packaging.html
    #4 refers to the very early part of kernel booting (i.e. before Userspace scripts are run). The Govnah upstart script which sets the frequencies is executed well after that point, and includes safety features to ensure that if you have an unclean shutdown, then the script is disabled for the next boot (allowing you to open Govnah and change the settings to fix it).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12