1.    #1  
    Can someone please clarify for me the difference between using the WebOS repair utility to fix problems and doctoring? Doesn't the repair utility correct whatever is wrong--essentially fixing whatever issues there might be, while Doctor does the same thing by overwriting everything?

Just trying to understand this better. I've run the repair utility a few times and it has made some changes. I have not doctored yet and fortunately have not needed to--I kind of dread having to re-add and customize everything and hope I can avoid that.

Also, while I'm at it, does a WebOS update applying to the device (as is supposedly forthcoming) have the same basic effect of doctoring, IE rewriting the OS to the device (in that case, without losing everything in the process)?

Thanks.
    repair utility won't touch patches unless you check override compatibilty off in preferences. Updates don't touch the usb portion of the palm phone.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    web doctor is supposed to puts operating system back to factory. Or it supposed to anyways lol doctor used to overwrite everything on the phone but it no longer touches the usb portion of the palm phones.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    So, in other words, can one achieve the same impact with the repair utility as doctoring?
    The Doctor is like a full reformat/reinstall, the repair utility just looks for changes and repairs them.

With the Doctor you don't have an option to "ignore" patches, with the repair utility you do.

My personal recommendation is always to run the repair utility first, and if that doesn't do what's needed, then try the Doctor.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    yes use repair utility first also run it a second time with over ride compatibility checked and see if that fixes issue then doctor if issue still persists.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Although there is a suggestion from 'those that know' that if you have ever run the SuperPreKernal, SPK, and then removed it after an OTA update, it leaves behind a whole host of problems which only webOS Doctor will remove, the Repair Utility does not go that deep.

It's only a suggestion, but from someone who should know. (Rod)

So if you tried the SPK kernal I'd suggest the Doctor route before the next OTA.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    As I understand it, i no simple terms:

The repair utility compares files between the doctor and your pre and then patches those files that it finds a difference in. However it does not repair things such as LunaSysMgr and others. Also repair utilities of any type can in rare cases cause a file corruption.

The doctor puts everything back to factory settings by overwriting what is already there.

An OS update just makes changes to the files that it is concerned with and assumes that it is applying itself onto a stock pre/pixi.

For a true reset you need to use the doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    As I understand it, i no simple terms:

The repair utility compares files between the doctor and your pre and then patches those files that it finds a difference in. However it does not repair things such as LunaSysMgr and others. Also repair utilities of any type can in rare cases cause a file corruption.

The doctor puts everything back to factory settings by overwriting what is already there.

An OS update just makes changes to the files that it is concerned with and assumes that it is applying itself onto a stock pre/pixi.

For a true reset you need to use the doctor.
    now everything is more clear.
    Thanks!