Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    oh and I forgot to mention I have the 2600 extended battery
    So here's what i've noticed...

NO LAG IN THE HELICOPTER GAME!!!

camera app is still a bit choppy to load and then switch to album view, but it seems that may be an issue specific to my phone? i've noticed other have said that it is almost instantaneous.

Also, battery drain is sitting swimmingly at about 7-9% an hour with above average usage (connected to FB/Yahoo chat, mlb gamecast running, playing BIA and helicopter game, random texts and phone calls and what not. On top of that, battery temp (i know its not cpu temp) never went above 38C. Which compared to other kernels i've used (pretty much all of them) is very good.

Other than that, everything is working like my phone is on coke. Which sucks, because i don't have the time to give my phone an intervention... But maybe i don't want to
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Very well tested! Thank you!

Let us know your battery life over time. It is assumed it will burn instantaneously, but would like to know how bad .

Mine gave 3%/hr drain over 14hours with moderate usage. That is a freak of nature i think, maybe need to play some Brother's in Arms for a while to see.
    Battery life is indeed lower meaning that it does draw more power at 1 GHz but IMHO, it gradually sucks the same as going from 500 MHz to 800 MHz. Not that much to worry, although I do have a USB cable virtually everywhere I go... so the battery consumption is not really a problem for me. A rough average is like 6~8 % per hour, moderate usage (browsing, checking tweets, text messaging, email push), no gaming at all. At 11 PM (24 hrs after I first installed it) I haven't had to reboot at all. Temps are also a tad higher than the UK 800 MHz but it might be since I am in Puerto Rico and heat is everywhere here.

The scaling behavior of this kernel is the following: When it is connected to a USB wall/car charger (that is when the Pre does not show the USB icon in the notification area but a quick lightning bolt that goes away after a few seconds), it will always run at min_freq. When connected to a PC/Laptop (that is when the USB logo is displayed on the notification area to provide you USB storage access), it will run same as if it was unplugged.

The Camera app does launch somewhat the same as with the UK 800 MHz. I remember that there was an issue with the overclocking with that specific app and a patch to the kernel was made to allow it to run at 500 MHz (correct me if I'm mistaken or confused).

Overall, it is more stable. Battery life is not worse than UK 800 MHz (unless you game a lot). Temps are also moderate (once again, unless you game a lot). Browsing is more stable and smoother. I haven't tested tethering with it but, since I can tether with the screen off, I assume that, since it scales down to 500 MHz with the screen off, it won't be a problem at all.
    how do you install the f 105
    Quote Originally Posted by princechrm1 View Post
    If you have to ask then you should absolutely not install it. I suggest reading up on what exactly is required of an alpha tester. Webosinternals.org is a good place to get that info.
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorx View Post
    Battery life is indeed lower meaning that it does draw more power at 1 GHz but IMHO, it gradually sucks the same as going from 500 MHz to 800 MHz. Not that much to worry, although I do have a USB cable virtually everywhere I go... so the battery consumption is not really a problem for me. A rough average is like 6~8 % per hour, moderate usage (browsing, checking tweets, text messaging, email push), no gaming at all. At 11 PM (24 hrs after I first installed it) I haven't had to reboot at all. Temps are also a tad higher than the UK 800 MHz but it might be since I am in Puerto Rico and heat is everywhere here.

The scaling behavior of this kernel is the following: When it is connected to a USB wall/car charger (that is when the Pre does not show the USB icon in the notification area but a quick lightning bolt that goes away after a few seconds), it will always run at min_freq. When connected to a PC/Laptop (that is when the USB logo is displayed on the notification area to provide you USB storage access), it will run same as if it was unplugged.

The Camera app does launch somewhat the same as with the UK 800 MHz. I remember that there was an issue with the overclocking with that specific app and a patch to the kernel was made to allow it to run at 500 MHz (correct me if I'm mistaken or confused).

Overall, it is more stable. Battery life is not worse than UK 800 MHz (unless you game a lot). Temps are also moderate (once again, unless you game a lot). Browsing is more stable and smoother. I haven't tested tethering with it but, since I can tether with the screen off, I assume that, since it scales down to 500 MHz with the screen off, it won't be a problem at all.
    I think the patch you mention was to set the DSP to run at 360MHz. I got overzealous in overclocking and there was errata about an IVA bug. But that reminds me if that same patch is in this kernel. hmm. should be.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by princechrm1 View Post

hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post

hehehe
    hahahahahaha
    ^^^

Priceless!
    Last edited by vza33; 06/23/2010 at 01:33 AM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Man, I can't wait until I get out of the woods to give this a shot! Thanks!

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Man, I can't wait until I get out of the woods to give this a shot! Thanks!

M.
    Why is it the first thing that came to my head when I read this was a banjo playing and Ned Beatty?
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Why is it the first thing that came to my head when I read this was a banjo playing and Ned Beatty?

I'm at a Scout Camp right on the Chesapeke Bay with my Son and his Troop, so you're mindset isn't far off!

M.
    From what I understand when the screen is on then the kernel will run overclocked and it will clock down when the screen is off, however if the phone is charging then the screen state is overridden and the phone will run at the slower speed.

That said, while on the touchstone the clock speed does not drop to 500Mhz for me as long as the screen is still on, however it does after the screen turns off (19 brightness desk-clock mode). I'm pretty sure this isn't intended. Personally I use my Pre to browse the web and google chat while I'm playing games on my computer, so this may be an issue. Probably not for my use case, but if you're watching youtube videos I could see there being a problem.

Aside from that I am EXTREMELY impressed that I was able to open more than one 3d game at a time. Later today after I've given it some use I will report back.

Just for giggles: Got 10367.8ms +/- 2.4% on sunspider
    Last edited by Roisen; 06/23/2010 at 08:07 AM.
    1 day in and I love it! I DO NOT notice any significant battery drain vs F104. I actully think it has improved SOME. Phone is snappier. All in all very happy with move to F105!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I keep getting an error when installing that my Pre is not back to factory condition. I already uninstalled uberkernel -21 ans f104 fighter. I dont want to doctor again, i've doctored 5 times during my alpha testing for uber -37. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I keep getting an error when installing that my Pre is not back to factory condition. I already uninstalled uberkernel -21 ans f104 fighter. I dont want to doctor again, i've doctored 5 times during my alpha testing for uber -37. Any ideas?
    Use Preware to *install* the default Palm kernel, then restart your Pre. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Use Preware to *install* the default Palm kernel, then restart your Pre. {Jonathan}
    Haha. Funny thing is that i just did that. I was actually curious because it said 'recovery kernel', so i was hoping it wont wipe aways everything i had on my Pre already. Hopefully it doesnt. Thanks Jon!

Edit: Yup, i think that just broke my Pre again. I guess i'll have to doctor yet again.

Double Edit: Pre is fine!
    Last edited by Jason Black; 06/23/2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Haha. Funny thing is that i just did that. I was actually curious because it said 'recovery kernel', so i was hoping it wont wipe aways everything i had on my Pre already. Hopefully it doesnt. Thanks Jon!

Edit: Yup, i think that just broke my Pre again. I guess i'll have to doctor yet again.

Double Edit: Pre is fine!
    So what made you think that it "broke" your pre at first?
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    So what made you think that it "broke" your pre at first?
    Because it was stuck on Palm for about 6 mins and then it started to glow again. Anyway, does anyone know why it boots at 125?

I thought the kernel was set to boot at 500 and then switch up to 1000. I had to physically go into govnah and change the setting from 125 to 500 and then the compache limit to 24 from 16 and compache was false. Any help there?
    Because it was stuck on Palm for about 6 mins and then it started to glow again. Anyway, does anyone know why it boots at 125?

I thought the kernel was set to boot at 500 and then switch up to 1000. I had to physically go into govnah and change the setting from 125 to 500 and then the compache limit to 24 from 16 and compache was false. Any help there?
    The sticky Govnah profile is not reset when you change kernels. I suspect the last profile you selected was still enabled.

Note that if your device had crashed, as opposed to just being slow to boot, then the sticky Govnah profile would have disabled itself again until the next clean boot.

-- Rod
Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast