Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363686970717273
Results 1,441 to 1,452 of 1452
Like Tree6Likes
    @unixpyscho I know the questions get annoying sometimes, but when you look at the percentage it is only about 10% of the people giving you 90% blues. The other 90% are actively troubleshooting and posting results here to assist the people that signed on to be alpha testers.

The thread allows most of the information regarding this kernel to be organized and kept in one place. The work you have did with the Kernel goes beyond saying, and like many have stated they probably still wouldn't be with webos if if hadn't been for you overclocking. I am speaking for myself but I am quite sure many will agree that we appreciate everything you have done and are doing to fine the true potential of the device.

We all know it is human nature to want the best and latest thing now and many won't bother to read until something doesn't work and maybe still not then. I am not sure what you do to relieve your stress, I personally hope on my motorcycle and ride as fast as I can until I get it off my chest, but maybe take some time from the thread for awhile. With all that being said I ask you to reconsider having a mod close the thread.
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/24/2010 at 07:39 PM.
    I 99% agree with 'Phycho's request to close the Testing threads. That 1% is then the people whom are capable to do true testing won't have much of a way to report oopsies back to him

The part about "organized in one place" is most certainly *not* this thread. It *should* be a third of the length it is (SR71 as well, for that matter).

I was mortified to find 'Phycho's SR71 on the front page of PreCentral. I knew instantly this was going to happen. People having NO idea what they're doing posting the needless ten times only to ask where to get the kernAl and get ****ed off when told to read the first post.

These threads should be closed. Maybe we can start over...

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 07/24/2010 at 09:04 PM.
    I guess once again evil overcome good. They won!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinistermeshes View Post
    jesus christ i MUST be. at this point i DO wave my white flag, but god do i feel bad for the new people who come along. perhaps ill post a thread with quick instructions in this portal, itll help with the dead weight in this thread. i stand by what i said, if someone needs any help, ill be more than happy to get at you on AIM/gtalk/ect. id crossloop if more of this was done sans pc, but your on your own as far as the rest

is anyone using this kernel with an extended battery? whats the temp like?
    I feel bad for the new people who come along too. But it's like when my seven year old daughter asks if she can ride her bike without training wheels. Sometimes you have to be firm cause riding a bike in the street without training wheels is dangerous. At the same time, you want her to learn eventually.

I get that you don't mean any disrespect. And you might become the defacto tech support for the kernel. But... be careful what you wish for muhahahahahahaaaaaa!!! ahem. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

And I'd like to know what the temp is like running an extended battery too. If anyone can say.

I've upgraded to 1.4.5. Love it. No more repeated letters. Great. I want to install the kernel, but I'm just watching and waiting. I'm just watching the thread for issues. So far I'm really pleased. But still waiting and watching....
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I feel bad for the new people who come along too. But it's like when my seven year old daughter asks if she can ride her bike without training wheels. Sometimes you have to be firm cause riding a bike in the street without training wheels is dangerous. At the same time, you want her to learn eventually.

I get that you don't mean any disrespect. And you might become the defacto tech support for the kernel. But... be careful what you wish for muhahahahahahaaaaaa!!! ahem. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

And I'd like to know what the temp is like running an extended battery too. If anyone can say.

I've upgraded to 1.4.5. Love it. No more repeated letters. Great. I want to install the kernel, but I'm just watching and waiting. I'm just watching the thread for issues. So far I'm really pleased. But still waiting and watching....
    that was a very good analogy lol. and your right, i certainly dont mean any disrespect. just a little understanding. as for the other newcomers, i plan on posting a quick tutorial for people to reference too when questions get asked. i really like the guys idea to start a wiki, it makes alot of sense, and i certainly dont mind keeping track of it!

yeah i find it hard to believe no one is using an extended battery...everyone is probably just p!ssed at me LOL

id reccomend using the kernel, i havent had any issues whatsoever. idk how long its been out (just swapped my moment for a pre last week) but id say its about ready for a public release, imo at any rate. other than the temp issues (which arent even really issues) the one thing ive noticed is sometimes the clock doesnt stick. im PROBABLY doing something wrong, with all the patches im installing and whatnot, but when i install a bunch of patches and then do a luna reboot, i cant for the life of me get gov to clock it back up i can clock to 800, but not 1 :\
    i have an extended battery and my temps don't get high unless I am installing patches or programs right now it is at 43.
    im a ******
    clock goes down while charging HAHA
    Last edited by sinistermeshes; 07/25/2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Guess you can't put F105 1.4.5 kernel from preware, on the 1.4.1 kernel that's on the phone. DUH!!!
    i plan on posting a quick tutorial for people to reference too when questions get asked. i really like the guys idea to start a wiki, it makes alot of sense, and i certainly dont mind keeping track of it!

After taking the evening (and night... and morning...) to think it all over, you did make a valid point (hidden in our pages of rant). It's all over the place what NOT to use, but it's not terribly obvious what TO use. The passer-by that wants to be l33t and OverClock their kernAl with the Thunderbird KernAl should NOT be using this kernel, sbromwich's, SR71, and most certainly not Warthog.

F105 has grown fairly stable, no argument there, for the devices that can handle it. Not all devices can run at 1GHz, so they shouldn't use this one and certainly can't use SR71.

I have gone through some of the relevant Wiki pages and put a big (ugly, I know...) thing at the top stating very loudly and obviously that (which ever kernel) is NOT intended for day-to-use and those that are looking for speed AND stability should use UberKernel (with the link, of course). Those who are not, can continue with the understanding that should their device get damaged, it's no one's responsibility but their own.

(To the respective Devs: If you don't like me messing with your kernel pages, you can let me know and I'll remove the warning, but I really think it's for the better)

yeah i find it hard to believe no one is using an extended battery...everyone is probably just p!ssed at me LOL
    I use a couple different extended ones. 1300mAh and 2800mAh. And yea...

id reccomend using the kernel, i havent had any issues whatsoever.
    YOURS does. A lot of them can't run at these speeds. Some can't even run <500MHz. My Pre is somewhere in between. I run at 1GHz, but it simply hates running <500MHz. I'm not about to find out what happens at 1.2GHz anytime soon because my phone being up is too important.

To tell someone that has a stock Pre/Pixi and tell them to go straight to this kernel (or SR71) is not sound advice since you/we don't even know if their phone can handle 800MHz. Some can't. There's numerous posts about people finding their phones can't even run outside of Palm's stock settings (period).

~~~~~~~

The point of all this is (if your still reading) that there are a lot of people that do not understand what they are doing when they are playing with the kernel. It's not a damning of them, it's just the way it is. Some people aren't very technical and if said person slaps F105 or SR71 on their phone and it doesn't boot anymore, what then?

UberKernel is rock solid stable the way a Linux Kernel should be. You really won't notice much difference in speed between 800MHz and 1GHz anyway (not with the slow-ish SSD in these things, only 256M RAM in the Sprint ones, and lack of true, across-the-board, GPU acceleration in webOS...)).

install.preware.org has links to a lot of the relevant information. Most very obvious, some not-so-much (on purpose).

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

And if someone still insists on telling people to install these alpha grade kernel, at least point them here so everyone is "on the same page":

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

I hope that I have NOT reopened a Can of Worms by making this post. It is not my intention at all. I wanted to say that you are right in the sense that it's not obvious to a passer-by what is "safe" to use, just what isn't. I hope that the changes I've made to the existing wiki pages help rest the upset people (on both sides - User and Dev) and make it easier for the folks who love their Pre/Pixi, but want it to be faster, to find what they are looking for in the safest way possible.

I didn't mean to make this so long, but, thank you for the time.

M.

P.S.
    UnixPsycho:
    If you haven't already removed this thread from your Subscribed Threads, I'm sorry to drag this out. That is not my intention. I wanted to put a bit of closure on it by saying that dude's got a point and that I've made a few changes in the wiki pages to help the New People.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    After taking the evening (and night... and morning...) to think it all over, you did make a valid point (hidden in our pages of rant). It's all over the place what NOT to use, but it's not terribly obvious what TO use. The passer-by that wants to be l33t and OverClock their kernAl with the Thunderbird KernAl should NOT be using this kernel, sbromwich's, SR71, and most certainly not Warthog.

F105 has grown fairly stable, no argument there, for the devices that can handle it. Not all devices can run at 1GHz, so they shouldn't use this one and certainly can't use SR71.

I have gone through some of the relevant Wiki pages and put a big (ugly, I know...) thing at the top stating very loudly and obviously that (which ever kernel) is NOT intended for day-to-use and those that are looking for speed AND stability should use UberKernel (with the link, of course). Those who are not, can continue with the understanding that should their device get damaged, it's no one's responsibility but their own.

(To the respective Devs: If you don't like me messing with your kernel pages, you can let me know and I'll remove the warning, but I really think it's for the better)

I use a couple different extended ones. 1300mAh and 2800mAh. And yea...

YOURS does. A lot of them can't run at these speeds. Some can't even run <500MHz. My Pre is somewhere in between. I run at 1GHz, but it simply hates running <500MHz. I'm not about to find out what happens at 1.2GHz anytime soon because my phone being up is too important.

To tell someone that has a stock Pre/Pixi and tell them to go straight to this kernel (or SR71) is not sound advice since you/we don't even know if their phone can handle 800MHz. Some can't. There's numerous posts about people finding their phones can't even run outside of Palm's stock settings (period).

~~~~~~~

The point of all this is (if your still reading) that there are a lot of people that do not understand what they are doing when they are playing with the kernel. It's not a damning of them, it's just the way it is. Some people aren't very technical and if said person slaps F105 or SR71 on their phone and it doesn't boot anymore, what then?

UberKernel is rock solid stable the way a Linux Kernel should be. You really won't notice much difference in speed between 800MHz and 1GHz anyway (not with the slow-ish SSD in these things, only 256M RAM in the Sprint ones, and lack of true, across-the-board, GPU acceleration in webOS...)).

install.preware.org has links to a lot of the relevant information. Most very obvious, some not-so-much (on purpose).

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

And if someone still insists on telling people to install these alpha grade kernel, at least point them here so everyone is "on the same page":

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

I hope that I have NOT reopened a Can of Worms by making this post. It is not my intention at all. I wanted to say that you are right in the sense that it's not obvious to a passer-by what is "safe" to use, just what isn't. I hope that the changes I've made to the existing wiki pages help rest the upset people (on both sides - User and Dev) and make it easier for the folks who love their Pre/Pixi, but want it to be faster, to find what they are looking for in the safest way possible.

I didn't mean to make this so long, but, thank you for the time.

M.

P.S.
    UnixPsycho:
    If you haven't already removed this thread from your Subscribed Threads, I'm sorry to drag this out. That is not my intention. I wanted to put a bit of closure on it by saying that dude's got a point and that I've made a few changes in the wiki pages to help the New People.
    im glad we could reach some sort of middle ground on this. while i still stand by the fact that if someone is going to post something that anyone could just stumble upon that the appropriate info should most certainly be there, i do fully understand the concept of alpha testing and the difference between a public release. i guess i just find it hard to believe that if someone is going to take the time to overclock their phone...why even mess with uber when theres chief floating around?? i guess the one that got me, and forces me to agree whole heartedly was the reports of peoples phones not being able to handle it. thats defiantly the line between testing and public stuph, and THAT is the biggest and most important difference.

where did you find your extended batteries? how much? CAN I HAVE ONE?!
    Ive been running SR71-84 for three days now on 1.4.1.1 via a replacement Sprint Pre received in January. I have minimal logging enabled, over 20 patches installed & I am using Govnah 0.6.1. Since install, I have not been able to upload pictures to Facebook or play Need for Speed Undercover at 1.2Ghz. Just to be clear, pictures wont upload to face book at any speed but I am able to play NFSU at 800Mhz & its still a bit choppy at 1005Mhz. As a side note, everything played and worked just fine on F105 all versions.

Avg screen off temp on SR71=84 is 27 and screen on between 38-44. Everything else runs smooth but for the most part I cant seem to notice a difference between 1005Mhz and 1.2Ghz except when loading a game or the camera. Battery drain is at -394 per hour on a 1150 stock battery.

1st SunSpider Test at 1.2Ghz = 8974
    2nd SunSpider Test at 1.2Ghz = 8958

1st SunSpider Test at 1005Mhz = 11284
    2nd SunSpider Test at 1005Mhz = 11346

Thanks Unixpsycho for all of your work. Dont let these Aholes who wont read bring your spirits down.
    Closed per OP's request.