Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by stashu11 View Post
    I installed the F-105 a couple hours ago. My last Kernel was the Uber-40. The Uber is a great kernel, but the 105 takes it up another notch. I'm glad it has all the "stuff" built in so I don't need Govanh to set my preferences (Govanh is a great app, don't get me wrong). The F-105 has my preferences exactly. No problems whatsoever. Temps are normal and battery uses seems normal too. The only thing that bothers me is the F-105 was such an ugly airplane compared to the 102 and the 104. I hope this isn't an omen? P.S. My dad was in one of the first squadrons of the 102's. I guess it was quite the plane during it's hay-day.
    How could you not like the F105 and the Wild Weasels? Excellent combat record. Quite a few got shot down and got a terrible nickname...but still a good bomber.

You want ugly plane? Wait till F111 Aardvark.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Marco,
    applied the F105 kernel moving from the latest UK kernel. installed with Govnah -49 build and when opening Govnah, shows "screen state" as governor but also shows min speed as 125 and max as 1005, so uninstalled both and reinstalled and check again and same info, so tried battery pull and recheck of Govnah and same results....I thought F105 was hard code to min of 500??? what up!
    Last edited by vansmac; 06/22/2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: additional info: also did full device restarts in between installs
    I noticed something interesting.

When plugged into the power (not touchstone) If I turn the screen on while it is still plugged in, my Pre remains at 500 MHz. If I turn the screen off, then unplug from power, then turn it on again it jumps to 1 GHz. I THINK it acts similarly on the touchstone, but I have yet to test it since I'm at work right now.

I accidentally installed the UK before I installed this one, but I definitely uninstalled UK before this one though, could that be it?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Speaking of beautiful planes, Nothing beats the Tomcat.

Nothing.
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmac View Post
    Marco,
    applied the F105 kernel moving from the latest UK kernel. installed with Govnah -49 build and when opening Govnah, shows "screen state" as governor but also shows min speed as 125 and max as 1005, so uninstalled both and reinstalled and check again and same info, so tried battery pull and recheck of Govnah and same results....I thought F105 was hard code to min of 500??? what up!
    If you look from the CLI you will notice it is not 125. F105 acts and is pretty much the same as F102, you can use Govnah but it is not required.
    Live free or DIE!
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I noticed something interesting.

When plugged into the power (not touchstone) If I turn the screen on while it is still plugged in, my Pre remains at 500 MHz. If I turn the screen off, then unplug from power, then turn it on again it jumps to 1 GHz. I THINK it acts similarly on the touchstone, but I have yet to test it since I'm at work right now.

I accidentally installed the UK before I installed this one, but I definitely uninstalled UK before this one though, could that be it?

Has anyone else noticed this?
    That is by design. I should probably put this in bold on the OP. but i'm sure it will be ignored.

F14 Tomcat was kick ***! I agree.
    Live free or DIE!
    charging state has been asked and states over and over to min 500...

could you perhaps show us how to mod it ourselves? ..or is it a complete re-write of the code (not a coder, so I might not understand this too well)
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    charging state has been asked and states over and over to min 500...

could you perhaps show us how to mod it ourselves? ..or is it a complete re-write of the code (not a coder, so I might not understand this too well)
    It cant be modded unless you rebuild the kernel.

This is why F104 came out, to give you the lower low end. But doing that does more harm than good. ie: worse battery life.

And letting it run full speed while charging is asking for a meltdown.
    Live free or DIE!
    darn, I wish charging state would stick at max 1ghz.

I use the phone while on the charger to browse the web extensivley (doing that right now as I type)
  9.    #129  
    darn, I wish charging state would stick at max 1ghz.

I use the phone while on the charger to browse the web extensivley (doing that right now as I type)
    You can use USB charging and it will run full speed just fine. Unless your PC has an abnormally hi-output port (1000mA).
    Live free or DIE!
    you know- I was thinking that.

I may look for a micro usb 500ma charger on ebay for use at the bedstand.

so is it correct that 500mah will produce a max freq, and will not drop to min?
  11.    #131  
    you know- I was thinking that.

I may look for a micro usb 500ma charger on ebay for use at the bedstand.

so is it correct that 500mah will produce a max freq, and will not drop to min?
    If you have the USB cable that came with the Pre and plug it in to the PC you will see. as long as the charging source isnt 100mA it will run full speed.
    Live free or DIE!
    Living on the edge... I installed it and so far so good. Google Maps, Facebook Beta, and a couple of apps load much faster. Temp has been down as well. I'll report more in a few days! Great work once again! This should tie me over until the new webOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Mind sharing the results?
    Of course not

iPad, iPhone 3GS and NexusOne results come from AnandTech Apple's iPad A4 SoC: Faster than the Nexus One's Snapdragon?
    I will be testing the iPad, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 myself later this week. One of the people in my office has an iPad and iPhone 3GS and is getting the iPhone 4 in Thursday.
    The tests were run 5 times, with the average taken.

iPad - 10475
    Palm Pre 1GHz F105 - 10646
    Palm Pre 800MHz UK - 13260
    Google Nexus One - 14409
    Palm Pre 720MHz UK - 14721
    iPhone 3GS - 17360
    Palm Pre 600MHz UK - 17375
    Palm Pre Stock - 21325
    Last edited by A.Stice; 06/22/2010 at 06:27 PM.
    I got it installed. Everything works great. I am going to graph some performance results at different clock speeds to see how things scale.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I had it installed all for about 16 hours before removing it due to heat issues. Before installing I did not doctor, if that makes a difference. The un-installation of the previous kernel was successful before installing this Kernel.

The performance, in my opinion, was over all noticeable, but not enough for me to consider keeping the kernel. As I mentioned before, scrolling was very smooth, I cannot stress that enough. Loading apps from a fresh restart was surprising with how quickly they loaded, Facebook, Browser, and Calendar specifically. Though it seemed after closing them and reopening them moments later seemed to take longer than before. Drop down boxes within apps and the ones on the corners of the screens were slightly more responsive if felt like, which is a plus for me. When those have any sort of lag it irritates me more than anything else lagging on my phone.

The temperatures would idle around 38-42 C, a few more higher than it does at 800 MHz, for example it's running UK at 800 and it's between 34-35 C. Preware usually gets my temps up, I'm not sure if it's because it has to uncompress the packages? With this Kernel it would peak at 50 C when opening Preware. Running UK at 800 it peaks at 45 C. When I loaded a video I was sold for a moment on the Kernel. A 200 Mb video that usually takes 5-10 seconds to load took 2 seconds consistently.After watching it for about thirty seconds I checked my temps, they had reached 55 C. Watching the same video on UK at 800 it only reaches 45 C.

I never time my boot up time, this is my first smart phone so I find the long boot times.. long to say the least. With this Kernel the boot time seemed just as long.

During the time I used it I could not find any bugs, everything functioned just as it normally did, aside from my temperature issues. I hope my input helps!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Installed it just an hour ago. Definitely faster.
    Not sure about battery life (I've been playing with it constantly, so it's been draining fast).
    I checked some speeds against my wife's Pre running the latest Uberkernel at 800 MHz. There is CLEARLY a difference.
    Google maps loads 5-6 seconds faster. Same for Preware.
    The apps that already loaded quickly before seem to be a wash (email, messaging both load about the same on both devices in less than 1 sec).
    But opening a web page - Bookmark tile screen came up about 1-2 sec faster. Actually loading CNN.com was ~3-4 seconds faster on my Pre running F105.

So far, I'm loving it. Even with using it near constant, the temp has been under 40.

Unixpsycho, I saw the same thing in Govnah that others did. It shows the min set to 125 MhZ and Compcache sent to False. But, when run "cat /proc/cpuinfo" from WOSQI, it shows that it's running at 500 MHz when sleeping.
    Any idea why Govnah shows different settings?
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    Installed it just an hour ago. Definitely faster.
    Not sure about battery life (I've been playing with it constantly, so it's been draining fast).
    I checked some speeds against my wife's Pre running the latest Uberkernel at 800 MHz. There is CLEARLY a difference.
    Google maps loads 5-6 seconds faster. Same for Preware.
    The apps that already loaded quickly before seem to be a wash (email, messaging both load about the same on both devices in less than 1 sec).
    But opening a web page - Bookmark tile screen came up about 1-2 sec faster. Actually loading CNN.com was ~3-4 seconds faster on my Pre running F105.

So far, I'm loving it. Even with using it near constant, the temp has been under 40.

Unixpsycho, I saw the same thing in Govnah that others did. It shows the min set to 125 MhZ and Compcache sent to False. But, when run "cat /proc/cpuinfo" from WOSQI, it shows that it's running at 500 MHz when sleeping.
    Any idea why Govnah shows different settings?
    Cuz govnah knows nothing about the type of kernel. It reads the freqs available, even tho they are not really available.

I am going to have to get ruthless and totally remove those from being listed so no one asks anymore, even tho they should know they are installing a kernel that cant go below 500.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I had read above that the kernel can't go below 500. I was just curious why Govnah shows what it does. Thanks for explaining.

Thanks for all your efforts and for remaining patient with us.
    Day 2 update...

Everything is much faster than 800 scaling with F102. I did not have any heat issues but i also don't play any 3D games so i never have. Menus and apps all load faster. The camera is almost instantaneous to load, which is awesome. As always with these kernels, no TMC errors.

My only negative is battery life. With very mild use today (web browser and 1 app at times, no calls or games) i am going to just squeak by with making in through the entire day, about 15 hours. Thus, it performs more like the stock battery but on F102 i was getting almost double battery life (50% left with 15 hrs mild use).

I am also aware that my phone often takes time to 'digest' these kernels and in a few days my battery issues could improve significantly. All in all i'm loving the 1ghz speeds-- no major issues, great work!

Sprint Pre
    Screenstate 500/1005
    Standard battery
    Last edited by mikeh20; 06/22/2010 at 09:29 PM.
    i've been running this kernel for the past 6 hours, I love it! The 1000/500 screenstate works great for me. I played Tiger Woods for 30mins straight while I was on the bus and left the app open while I was at work so I could sneak in a couple holes. My battery drain is less then what it was w/ UK @ 800/500 no compcache. It's lost about 60% with music playing, on and off Tiger Woods, and texting. And the last hour i've had the music playing while the screen has been off and i've only lost 2% battery loss. This Kernel is awesome! And the speed increase is noticeable from the 800 UK. You tha man Unixpsycho!

oh and I have Govnah and the memilimit up at 24%, I don't even remember what a TMC error looks like!
Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast