Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1050555657585960616263646570 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1452
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    Hrm. Well, it wasn't the kernel, apparently.
    Last post on this, since it's not the kernel... Just removed all patches, and apparently my phone's speaker has stopped working altogether.
    Last post on this, since it's not the kernel... Just removed all patches, and apparently my phone's speaker has stopped working altogether.
    Guess it was the phone... that's covered by insurance.

That's what I thought too. Run through the audio test and try raising the volume on *every* page. There's one page where my volume was at dead zero when *all* the other ways to do it were maxed.

M.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    If you see the Palm kernel in the preware list twice, try using the second one.

Worked for me, though who knows if it was luck or not, because it didn't work the first time I tried it.
    Unfortunately, there's only one listed. I tried Warthog and F102 as well and no joy...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    Unfortunately, there's only one listed. I tried Warthog and F102 as well and no joy...
    Sounds like you're taking an uninformed trial and error approach to the installation of alpha testing kernels, which is not really a good idea.

You should see two Palm recovery kernels in Preware (one for Pre, one for Pixi). If you do not, you should resolve that issue first before proceeding to randomly installing things that could possibly wipe your device completely.

-- Rod
    Just installed the Thunderchief f105-76. But during the installation it stalled. I was forced to quit preware, and thats when I ran into my main issue. Now my phone cannot complete a restart, just hangs during the palm loading circle. In the end I have no choice but to do a battery pull for a restart. Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by nexgencpu View Post
    Just installed the Thunderchief f105-76. But during the installation it stalled. I was forced to quit preware, and thats when I ran into my main issue. Now my phone cannot complete a restart, just hangs during the palm loading circle. In the end I have no choice but to do a battery pull for a restart. Any advice?
    How long are you leaving your device to restart before a battery pull?
    You might want to give a more detailed report. Device, webos version etc. If anything caused the hang.
    I would give a better reprot and then wait for one of the devs to chime in, but it is likely that you will have to doctor.
    If you can't wait for an answer then I recommend you run the doctor now. Recovery steps can be found on the wiki.
    Sprint Pre (Hardware version A)
    webOS v 1.4.1.1
    Preware v 1.2
    Govnah v0.5.8
    Another thing to keep in mind is that my phone "does" work, just cant do a software restart. (example; org+sym+R or holding down the power button and choosing restart)

Also, I used preware's new "install Package from URL" feature to install the F105-76 kernel. Thats where it hung.
    I think I might have jump the gun on doing an over-the-air kernel install. If I can avoid a doctor it would be awesome!

thanks for the help! as you can see i am kindof a newbie
    Do we need to uninstall this before 1.4.5 update? Just in cas I stopped automatic updates.
    Sprint Pre (Hardware version A)
    webOS v 1.4.1.1
    Preware v 1.2
    Govnah v0.5.8
    Another thing to keep in mind is that my phone "does" work, just cant do a software restart. (example; org+sym+R or holding down the power button and choosing restart)
    Could you clarify a little, are you saying that you can knock your phone on but you can't reboot without pulling the battery, or something different.
    Also, I used preware's new "install Package from URL" feature to install the F105-76 kernel. Thats where it hung.
    I think I might have jump the gun on doing an over-the-air kernel install. If I can avoid a doctor it would be awesome!

F105 is designed to be installed over the air from Preware and is in the Preware testing feeds. As the install package from URL feature is also still in testing, I don't know how well it would go down, but I guess you are one of the first to try installing a kernel this way. Which link did you use to get the kernel from, might be useful to the devs?

I don't know of a way to avoid the doctor on this one and you should really expect it as you agreed to these testing principles when installed F105. But please wait for a devs response if you can. You could try the irc channel #webos-internals
    Don't give up on it yet! Try plugging/unplugging some headphones a few times. There's a switch in there that detects when headphones are connected. Sometimes it gets stuck, I've had this happen several times, a reboot doesn't help.
    About the reboot issue, If I hold down the power button and choose "power" and then choose either "restart" or "shutdown/swap Battery" option it will just hang during the shutdown process. Then, I have to remove the battery to get it back up, about the rules and regulations on using the testing feeds, i'm all good with it, I was just hoping to extrapolate any meaningful fix for me and others to take note of. So in the end, if the only solution is to doctor it, no problema.

Cheers
    About the reboot issue, If I hold down the power button and choose "power" and then choose either "restart" or "shutdown/swap Battery" option it will just hang during the shutdown process. Then, I have to remove the battery to get it back up, about the rules and regulations on using the testing feeds, i'm all good with it, I was just hoping to extrapolate any meaningful fix for me and others to take note of. So in the end, if the only solution is to doctor it, no problema.

Cheers
    Can you uninstall it or is it not in the app list? You can reinstall the stock kernel with preware, that might fix it. Maybe the partial install goofed up the modules or init scripts.
    I tried installing a few different kernels (starting from the stock) with no luck on the reboot issue. But, the installs at least complete, so I can see the changes are taking effect when I run Govnah. But I think your right in that it is related to some missing or corrupted files from the botched install.

Cheers

Cheers
    So you are saying that you are able to boot up your Pre? You just can't correctly power it down? Anything else out of the ordinary?
    And from my previous post, where did you try installing the F105 package from.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    So you are saying that you are able to boot up your Pre? You just can't correctly power it down? Anything else out of the ordinary?
    About the power issue, that is exactly what I am saying. Aside from that, it seems to be ok..

I installed the F105-76 from the testing feed directly over the air using preware.
    Last edited by nexgencpu; 07/17/2010 at 08:04 PM.
    I tried installing a few different kernels (starting from the stock) with no luck on the reboot issue. But, the installs at least complete, so I can see the changes are taking effect when I run Govnah. But I think your right in that it is related to some missing or corrupted files from the botched install.

Cheers
    Did you try the last resort recovery kernels and still get the hung on power down?

Quote Originally Posted by nextgencpu
    About the power issue, that is exactly what I am saying. Aside from that, it seems to be ok..

I installed the F105-76 from the testing feed directly over the air using preware, as I stated before.
    No you stated this

Quote Originally Posted by nextgencpu

So how did you actually install it?
  18. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    has any one else had problems with touchscreen registering with f105 (i haven't read thought the whole thread). In particular, the up swip for the launcher. The quick launch button works, but swiping fails 90% of the time. Also swiping in the launcher doesn't always work correctly.
    Did you try the last resort recovery kernels and still get the hung on power down?

No you stated this

So how did you actually install it?
    I just realized I failed to mention where I got it (F105-76) from on the previous post(I edited the last reply to reflect that) Also, I just tried uninstalling the kernel(s) and reinstalling them with no luck. I also tried the recovery Kernels from preware with 0 luck...isnt looking too good for this install.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    has any one else had problems with touchscreen registering with f105 (i haven't read thought the whole thread). In particular, the up swip for the launcher. The quick launch button works, but swiping fails 90% of the time. Also swiping in the launcher doesn't always work correctly.
    Have you confirmed that this is repeatable by uninstalling the kernel, confirming it works again, installing the kernel, confirming it doesn't work, and repeating those steps again twice more?

That is what an effective alpha tester should do as the very first thing before posting.

-- Rod