Page 59 of 73 FirstFirst ... 949545556575859606162636469 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1452
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newman314 View Post
    nachob, that's why you overclock. The sprint pre needs compcache. 16mb is just fine if you do not tend to leave lots of windows open
    In my mind I think the reverse, that if I don't keep a lot of cards open often then I don't benefit from compcache. Is that backwards?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    My Sprint Pre acts a bit sluggish with it enabled so I have it disabled as well.
    set at what? Sounds like you have it set too high. I have a Sprint Pre that is never sluggish. I keep it at 32M.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Because I have a Verizon Pre+ and don't think I need it and understand that it can use some resources when turned on.

You are *saving* resources and battery by enabling it. Compressing swap into RAM reduces "drive" wake ups, increases speed (because swap is in RAM and not on the drive).

Compcache is never bad.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmiranda111 View Post
    Hi, Rod. Nope, I never have Govnah open but I did have several apps open and Preware loading. Other than that, everything's been humming along beautifully.
    Preware was loading? That's why it was stuttering! I've experienced that plenty of times...
    from what I have seen from my own usage, the pre and pixis are right on the edge of available mem.

so if you never see TMCs, by all means leave it off. But I have seen TMC even with no cards open so I choose to have a little help.

haven't seen tmc in months
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Hey!

• Sprint Pre (not launch)
    • webOS 1.4.1.1
    • Thunderchief 76
    • ScreenState 500/1000

I routinely copy (rsync) some large files to my Pre at night before I hit the hay (I use my Pre to listen to stuff while going to sleep). As the MP3 was copying (~250M) my screen turned off and I saw the wlan0 graph in GKrellm on my desktop stop. "Odd", I thought to myself. I turned my screen back on and the activity immediately shot back up to the 1.1M of a G connection. I manually turned off my screen and WiFi activity stopped again.

I did this several times during the copy to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I guess, in hind sight, I didn't let it sit with the screen off long enough to see if the rsync would actually time out and die. After I would turn the screen on, the rsync just kept going like it hadn't stopped at all.

Is this "normal" (as in I just never noticed it before) or is there something with new voltage tweaks of F105-76 that could be causing this?

M.
    That's totally normal, the phone goes to "sleep" when the screen shuts off. I get the same thing when I SSH into mine. If you want to keep the phone awake get the NoDoze app in Preware.
    set at what? Sounds like you have it set too high. I have a Sprint Pre that is never sluggish. I keep it at 32M.

M.
    Set at the default of 20480
    Guys, not sure if this was mentioned before. To get some stats on compcache, run the command 'cat /proc/ramzswap'. The output helps alot with choosing the amount of RAM to use for compcache.

Output from my phone:

DiskSize: 131072 kB
    MemLimit: 20480 kB
    NumReads: 5656
    NumWrites: 20890
    FailedReads: 0
    FailedWrites: 0
    InvalidIO: 0
    NotifyFree: 4325
    ZeroPages: 852
    GoodCompress: 100 %
    NoCompress: 0 %
    PagesStored: 10949
    PagesUsed: 3459
    OrigDataSize: 43796 kB
    ComprDataSize: 12944 kB
    MemUsedTotal: 13836 kB
    BDevNumReads: 2165
    BDevNumWrites: 6818

Of particular interest to me are these lines:

OrigDataSize: 43796 kB
    MemUsedTotal: 13836 kB

That tells me that I am currently using 13836k of my 20480k so I know I have enough. It also tells me that I'm saving 43796 - 13836 = 29960k of RAM!

Now if I open a few cards...
    Last edited by csalinardi; 07/16/2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Ive been testing the -76. Everything seems to be working well, still experience the occasional brief freeze up when opening an app, (facebook beta, photos, and like one or two others... Definitely not a big deal. But smooth is always a good thing I also still experienced a bit of load lag for Web pages andapps, but much much less than previous versions. Nothing dramatic. I have also experienced some cases where I have to press my quick launcher icon more than once to access my apps. The response to touch lights up but the QLer (quick launcher) doesn't respond, even after several taps a couple of times. I'm using the default 20480 compcache. I've noticed some increase in battery temp as expected with the change to stock voltage as also mentioned by mister NachoB. I've also noticed crazy jumps and drops to the Current Draw.

Comparing the readings from Govnah and Battery monitor are dramatically different iv'e always noticed.

Last night I was playing Card Ace Hold Em', 2 e-mail cards open, two youtube pages open, the mobile version and the desktop version, playing videos, and pre-central-forums. I experienced roughly about 40-50% drain give or take in about 4hrs. and never went over 40c

(A bit of info I left out pertaining to the quick launch bug I am experiencing)
    I noticed that occasional quick launcher bug after I had installed the Reduce Drag Radius 15px Patch

Tested on a Verizon Pre plus 1.4.1.1 with govnah v0.5.6 compcache default 20480

EDIT: Read post from start
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 07/17/2010 at 12:56 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Either of you have the Shake to Refresh Browser patch installed?
    I do not have this patch. I am still having this problem. I have done a second battery pull and still have issue. Not a major problem but still worth looking in to. Thanks again.
    Govnah won't seem to let me change my Compcache settings. What am I missing here?

In on topic news, the bad slowdown and quirkiness I reported yesterday with the previous build of F105 is (knock on wood) totally gone with the latest version. So maybe it was something about that build of the kernel my Pre didn't like. So far all is great with this version!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Govnah won't seem to let me change my Compcache settings. What am I missing here?

In on topic news, the bad slowdown and quirkiness I reported yesterday with the previous build of F105 is (knock on wood) totally gone with the latest version. So maybe it was something about that build of the kernel my Pre didn't like. So far all is great with this version!
    Turn off compcache, change the settings, re-enable compcache.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    i cant find it with preware test feed...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    i cant find it with preware test feed...
    seriously, google "webos test kernel". it shows up on the first page
    I just updated to 1.4.5-76, and I have NO sound from my speaker, whatsoever. The phone still works through the front speaker, but the rear speaker has stopped working altogether. I'm going to do a battery pull and see if that helps, but... Weird!

On Bell 1.4.5, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    I just updated to 1.4.5-76, and I have NO sound from my speaker, whatsoever. The phone still works through the front speaker, but the rear speaker has stopped working altogether. I'm going to do a battery pull and see if that helps, but... Weird!

On Bell 1.4.5, btw.
    No luck with a battery pull. Gonna try removing it (the kernel, that is) to see if my sound comes back.
    No luck with a battery pull. Gonna try removing it (the kernel, that is) to see if my sound comes back.
    Device Info --> App Menu --> Tests --> Interactive Tests

Run the Audio one. If it doesn't work the first time, run it again but try raising the volume on *every* screen.

M.
    Device Info --> App Menu --> Tests --> Interactive Tests

Run the Audio one. If it doesn't work the first time, run it again but try raising the volume on *every* screen.

M.
    Good idea. I just removed the F105 kernel, and I'll see if the sound comes back (hope so!), but then I'll give that a whirl once I reinstall.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Wondering... when this kernel is installed and using the new Govnah... is it Govnah or the kernel that is only allowing use of the ScreenState governor? It is my preference to use that one, but I'd like to be able to test others.

Also, my $0.02: Pre does seem to be running a few degrees warmer under normal operating conditions. This morning it got up int the 50+ range while playing some card games and checking email.
    [using -76]
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Good idea. I just removed the F105 kernel, and I'll see if the sound comes back (hope so!), but then I'll give that a whirl once I reinstall.
    Hrm. Well, it wasn't the kernel, apparently.