Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1452
Like Tree6Likes
    I've had the F105 for the last several weeks, almost from when it first came out for alpha testing. As an Alpha tester, I wish I could provide some bug reports, but I don't have any. ha-ha.

It has been running great, no resests, freezes, etc. It's very noticably faster than UberKernel and much smoother scrolling. Phone works much better and faster when dialing/hanging up. Battery life is much better than Uber and with my 1400mah battery, can usually last the whole day. I don't use compache (have a Verizon Plus) and have a lot of patches and usually a theme. It's a great piece of work.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    anyone on the newest kernel, -74 yet? I don't like going in completely blind. -69 has been super stable for me!
    I installed -74 this morning and everything seems to be the same in terms of speed, heat and battery usage. So far, so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    For those who feel it isn't fair that F105 is not available on the normal Preware feeds, here is a bit of insight as to why. Keep in mind this is my own opinion.

The normal kernel you see is UberKernel, which is the general release kernel. It has been deemed to be "safe" for general use, meaning you can use it without fear of frying your phone.

F105 is still considered an "alpha" grade kernel, meaning it is still in very active development. As time goes on, various features from the different "alpha" kernels get moved into the UberKernel, and at some point that will probably include the 1005MHz run speed.

Until that happens though, these alpha kernels are still considered unstable and at any time may change for the worse(a new update may be worse than the previous build, or the phone stops working, or it screws up your phone so bad you have to buy a new one due to potential damage). Yes, that is a very real danger of running an experimental kernel, and this is why you have to have enough technical ability to even find the feeds where the experimental kernels can be found.

So, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK is a very real thing, and if you can't do a Google search to find the proper feeds, then you probably have missed it.

I will say it again, these experimental kernels all say: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, and any damage to your device is strictly your own fault if you don't read this warning. How many people ignore these sorts of warnings, and then sue the authors? How many people just don't read the opening post in a thread FULLY, and then complain when things break on them because they couldn't be bothered to read SIMPLE instructions on how to remove an update, or run the WebOS Doctor to get their phone back to stock conditions?

So, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK....do a search for the feeds, because they have been given around the precentral.net forums in various forms. If you don't know enough to use WebOS Doctor, and are not ready to wipe your phone and put it back to factory due to problems, then you should stick to UberKernel.

UnixPsycho, do you think this was clear enough, or should I have given a full description of USE AT YOUR OWN RISK?
    great post, bump!!
    like this should be reiterated:
    and this is why you have to have enough technical ability to even find the feeds where the experimental kernels can be found.

if you can't find it without asking,you shouldn't use the test feeds...
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've been using -69 for a while. Other than occasionally having to do a Luna reset when things bog down (would happen every 48-72hrs), it ran great. I installed -74 this morning and it's been great all day. Fairly heavy usage of data/voice (lot of email/sms and a few calls) and battery is performing well. Still at 77% and off the charger for 3hrs.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  6.    #986  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    anyone on the newest kernel, -74 yet? I don't like going in completely blind. -69 has been super stable for me!
    Live free or DIE!
  7.    #987  
    For those who feel it isn't fair that F105 is not available on the normal Preware feeds, here is a bit of insight as to why. Keep in mind this is my own opinion.

<...snip...>

So, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK....do a search for the feeds, because they have been given around the precentral.net forums in various forms. If you don't know enough to use WebOS Doctor, and are not ready to wipe your phone and put it back to factory due to problems, then you should stick to UberKernel.

UnixPsycho, do you think this was clear enough, or should I have given a full description of USE AT YOUR OWN RISK?
    This should be re-iterated every page it seems.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Too bad the forum doesn't have a theme option where this thread could have an orange or red theme instead of the normal green. Signifying Nuclear, Murder, Death, Kill potential.
    I've been using -74 for a short time and find it working perfectly. The upgrade went flawlessly as usual. Not specific to -74, but I have noticed the volume levels lower in the last few builds. I thought it was me, but have seen several other 105 users having the same problem, so I'm beginning to think it's not just me. I don't have all the tools, so I'm usually reluctant to say too much, but I honestly do notice increased battery life with the 105. I've read where some have had increased battery life, and others shorter, but I think without a doubt mine lasts longer now. I personally don't see a speed difference between 800 and 1000hz. I'm sure it's faster, but it's nothing like the difference between 500 and 800hz. All in all, the 105 seems to be a solid build and the -74 continues the tradition. I have only one issue with my phone period and that's the secure unlock feature. It locks up sometimes when trying to wake the phone up. I know the last comment belongs in a new/different thread, so I won't go into details here. GREAT KERNEL...
    Installed -74 last night.. when the phone is up it works great.. but it seemed to freeze everytime during the shutdown process when you restart luna or restart device. did not have the problem with the prior builds.

*upgraded from -69. will try to uninstall and reinstall

**update--- reboots dont hang up anymore. Happy camper again
    Last edited by Rollerboy; 07/12/2010 at 03:37 PM.
    I'm STILL catching up on reading all of the posts in this thread, but I installed -69 day before yesterday and I wanted to help with an alpha test.

In performing this test, I am using a Sprint Pre bought in the Feb. timeframe. I am using Govnah v.0.5, and Thunderchief -69 with Compache running at 32 MB.

I charged my phone up to 100%, then ran the following things. After everything was up, loaded, and running, I unplugged my phone (so that it would ramp up to 1GHz) and began cruising the web so that the screen saver wouldn't turn on (specifically, reading this forum. ...).

Running: Sprint Navigation (navigating to a source, despite the fact that I was still)
    Music Maker Remix (actually playing songs)
    PowerNap (set to 30 minutes)
    Govnah (set to ping every second)
    Web - Reading the forums @ PreCentral

Battery level after 30 minutes: 86%.

I am uninstalling -69 right now and will re-install UberKernal. I'll then repeat the conditions for 30 minutes and report the battery level. Same for -74 (which I didn't know was out until I'd started the test).

-69 is working great, though my temps were high during the test (42-44 degrees the whole time).

If the "people in charge" (unixpsycho/rwhitby/whomever) would let us know what we should be specifically testing for I'll try to create and execute some test conditions for it. The last thing I read was a cause of concern was battery life, so that's what I looked at.

EDIT: BTW - I'm still reading this thread - only on Page 34 - and I'd like to chime in on something. It DOES come off as elitist that one has to go out and "find" Thunderchief. With that said, I decided - since I am a "modding" newbie" - to actually do the things they mentioned needing to be able to do. The process of figuring out the stuff needed to install the kernel made me learn enough so that, if something does happen, I can handle it.

It may SEEM like a jerk thing to do, but after having done it, I can see the point of the process. If you still haven't found the kernel, don't give up and keep looking. It is worth it thus far.
    Last edited by JAM Renaissance; 07/12/2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added commentary on the kernel being "hidden".
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I will put in the effort to re-post it every day then, considering it seems to be needed. Or, feel free to copy/paste my post to save time when YOU want it said. I can't help with the code side(I got out of programming back in 1993), but I can at least help support those who do the hard work.

I am doing the update to -74, though I had ZERO issues with -69.

UnixPsycho, would you say that F105 is almost to the point of being stable? What would you consider the issues you are still tweaking, just voltage tweaks and settings for when on charger and charger detection SEEMS to be where you are focused(based on the latest updates).
    Did you have your phone on the charger? Wall charger or Touchstone?

The kernels use a bit of undervolting to conserve power while at 500MHz, and it may be a hair too little power to allow the tone to sound.

No, it was off the wall charger. I'm still waiting for a new e-mail notification. I missed one early this morning because I was deep asleep
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    No, it was off the wall charger. I'm still waiting for a new e-mail notification. I missed one early this morning because I was deep asleep
    Check your kernel version again. Also, what patches do you have installed, since some of them MAY cause problems. Mode Switcher for example COULD cause some issues since it allows for some things that could throw off the screen state governor.
    I shall post something more official soon, but just to let you know...been running this bad boy on my launch day o2 pre, and I have to say, by FAR the best kernel available, I have had it for about 3/4 weeks (running -74 atm), and it has only had ONE random restart, and not the slightest bit of trouble any where else, I have another pre running the UberKernel and I will perform benchmarks of them both and post them in a pretty format in a bit.

But as you can see in my avatar, I've had 7...yes 7 3d games running at the same time as 13 other apps and the phone was still usable...so yeh, better than a pre plus!!!
    Check your kernel version again. Also, what patches do you have installed, since some of them MAY cause problems. Mode Switcher for example COULD cause some issues since it allows for some things that could throw off the screen state governor.

Kernel version is correct -74. I don't have the Mode Switcher installed. I have 42 patches installed, none of which had ever conflicted with 105 since *-60 or any that were documented to. I never had any of the patches installed that have been associated with any conflict with this specific kernel as posted by others that have hruought this thread. I'm still waiting on a new e-mail notification, so I still don't know yet if my luna and preset 1 2 combo worked yet. I'll let you know when it happens. Thank you for the help
    I just want to give a quick shout out to the kernel devs working on all the kernels. You have single handedly made a previous generation device as fast as the newest generation of devices. At 1ghz the Pre is nipping on the iPhone 4 heels in every benchmark.

Bravo team.

Now if you excuse me I must install -74.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    e-mail notification works fine
    I love the two last update... Fix for current_mA in touchstone detection, and fix for PC USB charging. Yay!!!!!

I anticipate the next update.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Installed the -74 last night. It been working flawless! But, then again so did all the past kernels. Been using the phone none stop (need a intervention). Great work and thank you!