Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #901  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    @unixpsycho

After yesterday I realized that my battery was draining 10% per hour with no use (screen off, no apps running other than battery monitor, only the phone radio on). I unistalled F105 and it only dropped to 5%/hour while idle over the entire evening. I installed UberKernel (which I was using prior to trying F105) and it still remained at 5%/hour at full idle. That matches my previous experience that UK didn't have any effect on battery life based on my usage patterns. Previously idle drain was never more than about 2%, so there must still be something running in the back ground that I am not aware of...

I was "sure" nothing else changed, but those drain rates can't be explained any other way. So, if I cant find a culprit today, I will doctor over the weekend and start fresh with 105.

I'll report back whatever results I get from that. Thanks again for all the cool stuff you and the homebrewers create. I doubt people realize just how good you guys really are...
    I run around 5-6% drain per hour, and I run alot of crap in the background. 10% is a little extreme for mostly idle usage.

Love your avatar!
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I run around 5-6% drain per hour, and I run alot of crap in the background. 10% is a little extreme for mostly idle usage.

Love your avatar!
    Thanks! I haven't seen more than about 2% drain when fully idle/screen dark, so I'm guessing there is a facebook process or something like that, not something from a kernel. If I can't figure out what is doing that, I will doctor and let you know!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I found an update to KeyBoss that fixes the Screen Capture issue and didn't require me to restart, so took a screencap of Battery Monitor just now as continued from my post earlier today: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2545039

I attached the image below.

Oh, I've been at work the past 5 hours and dropped about 30%, so that's 6%/hour; compared to 30% over the prior 13 hours, about 2%/hr. So I have had more usage including a phone call or two and lots of emails while at work, although still nothing heavy like games or long-term screen usage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by webfellow; 07/08/2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: .
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Is there any prep that needs to be done before installing this? I have govnah installed + UberKernal.

I threw it in WebOS Internals and got this message after trying to install the ipk

5.    #905  
    Quote Originally Posted by costas View Post
    Is there any prep that needs to be done before installing this? I have govnah installed + UberKernal.

I threw it in WebOS Internals and got this message after trying to install the ipk

You have another kernel installed. Uninstall previous kernel 1st.
    Live free or DIE!
    Yup, what the man said.
    I personally removed my theme to be sure.
    Just in case also, my personal experience with installing uberkernel via Preware has created the dreaded restart loop. with and without patches. Installs great via WOSQI though.

Also, loving this new Kernel, brings a tear to the eye thank you!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick reply. I set it back to Palm Default, but I don't see UberKernal in Preware now as part of my installed packages so I'm unable to uninstall it. I think I may have jacked things up when I tried to install it ontop of UberKernal, whoops.

edit: reinstalling the original palm kernal, and trying F105 afterwards. *crosses fingers*
    I've been using the 105 kernel for several weeks now. I've been updating it as the new ones come out. I've been using Ver.69 since it came out. All the updates have gone extremely smooth. About a week ago I uninstalled Govnah because the 105 doesn't need it. I can't give specific's, but battery use is the same, if not better then before the 105, and temps (battery temp now) I would describe as normal. One request, when your new 1,200 kernel come out, would you consider skipping the F-111? I think you were just too good of a programer to let the F-105 jinx you. I wouldn't push it. You even said yourself the 105 was a good bomber. It should have been a B-105 instead of an F-105. Personally, I'd skip the F-111 and go for the newer (great looking fighters). The F-14 would be a good start. and save the F-22 for your ultimate kernel. OK, even the new F-35 might be worthy of a top notch kernel. I'm just saying... Keep up the terrific work. We all appreciate your efforts immensely.
  9.    #909  
    Quote Originally Posted by stashu11 View Post
    I've been using the 105 kernel for several weeks now. I've been updating it as the new ones come out. I've been using Ver.69 since it came out. All the updates have gone extremely smooth. About a week ago I uninstalled Govnah because the 105 doesn't need it. I can't give specific's, but battery use is the same, if not better then before the 105, and temps (battery temp now) I would describe as normal. One request, when your new 1,200 kernel come out, would you consider skipping the F-111? I think you were just too good of a programer to let the F-105 jinx you. I wouldn't push it. You even said yourself the 105 was a good bomber. It should have been a B-105 instead of an F-105. Personally, I'd skip the F-111 and go for the newer (great looking fighters). The F-14 would be a good start. and save the F-22 for your ultimate kernel. OK, even the new F-35 might be worthy of a top notch kernel. I'm just saying... Keep up the terrific work. We all appreciate your efforts immensely.
    Wow! Nobody likes the F111 it seems. Someone mentioned an F106. I'll have to think about it...I like Cold War era bombers/fighters due to my age.
    Live free or DIE!
    Wow! Nobody likes the F111 it seems. Someone mentioned an F106. I'll have to think about it...I like Cold War era bombers/fighters due to my age.
    How about some "RED" names too?
  11.    #911  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    How about some "RED" names too?
    How about Mig29 Fulcrum? I dont know if I like seeing a Hammer and Sickle flag on my kernel. Although Germany flies them still.
    Live free or DIE!
    Don't let them tell you how to name it Stick with your original plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB007 View Post
    Hows this compare? With moderate to heavy usage, starting at a battery of 93%, coming off the charger at 4:30 my battery was dead by about 7:20. Hows that for awful battery life? I'm going back to try F104 and see what happens..
    Yeah that sounds a bit similar (probably a little worse) than what i'm seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    When it comes to battery life, you have to look at how you use the device.
    Yeah. I'm completely aware of the fact that battery life is practically as unique as a finger print for each user. However, I assume that people are getting between 2 and 5% drain per hour while "idling". I'm getting upwards of 10% while on Airplane mode. At that point, I don't think its a matter of usage...

Quote Originally Posted by toejam1974 View Post
    I have very similar battery life with my phone. Of course, emails arrive at a near constant rate from work and my other email accounts, I check twitter often and will fire up jumpoclock when I am having a brain fart.... not to mention govnah running while I am testing F105.

I am also sending data over an encrypted wifi connection all day.

I suppose I could look at attaching a car battery to a backpack and carrying that around all day
    LOL. Honestly, I might as well. At one point I was considering picking up a second external battery but realized that at this point it's a little excessive, and I already have two extra batteries if the new Palm phone uses the same battery type (it BETTER!).

As per your battery life, you seem to be running a lot more than I am running but getting around the same battery life (I presume). I don't get a LOT of emails, just a decent amount (maybe 1 every 1.5 hours or so). I had to stop running Govnah/Battery Monitor cuz my phone wouldn't last longer than 5 hours (on 30 minute intervals, etc.).

Love your avatar!
    Blah. If 10% is extreme for idle usage, I'm afraid of what you'd call 15%. : /. Any activity on the phone easily adds another 7 - 10% for me.

Quote Originally Posted by webfellow View Post
    Oh, I've been at work the past 5 hours and dropped about 30%, so that's 6%/hour; compared to 30% over the prior 13 hours, about 2%/hr. So I have had more usage including a phone call or two and lots of emails while at work, although still nothing heavy like games or long-term screen usage.
    6%/hour is still way better than what I'm getting on idle. I truly think I have a defective device rather than a kernel/battery issue at this point.

Thank you very much webfellow for all your data and testing. Appreciate it.

Also: Sorry Unix for sorta hijacking your thread with my battery life issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Yeah that sounds a bit similar (probably a little worse) than what i'm seeing.

Yeah. I'm completely aware of the fact that battery life is practically as unique as a finger print for each user. However, I assume that people are getting between 2 and 5% drain per hour while "idling". I'm getting upwards of 10% while on Airplane mode. At that point, I don't think its a matter of usage...

LOL. Honestly, I might as well. At one point I was considering picking up a second external battery but realized that at this point it's a little excessive, and I already have two extra batteries if the new Palm phone uses the same battery type (it BETTER!).

As per your battery life, you seem to be running a lot more than I am running but getting around the same battery life (I presume). I don't get a LOT of emails, just a decent amount (maybe 1 every 1.5 hours or so). I had to stop running Govnah/Battery Monitor cuz my phone wouldn't last longer than 5 hours (on 30 minute intervals, etc.).

Blah. If 10% is extreme for idle usage, I'm afraid of what you'd call 15%. : /. Any activity on the phone easily adds another 7 - 10% for me.

6%/hour is still way better than what I'm getting on idle. I truly think I have a defective device rather than a kernel/battery issue at this point.

Thank you very much webfellow for all your data and testing. Appreciate it.

Also: Sorry Unix for sorta hijacking your thread with my battery life issues.
    Maybe doctor your Pre, put it in airplane mode and see if you still get the 10% per hour? That's insane.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    Yup, what the man said.
    I personally removed my theme to be sure.
    Just in case also, my personal experience with installing uberkernel via Preware has created the dreaded restart loop. with and without patches. Installs great via WOSQI though.

Also, loving this new Kernel, brings a tear to the eye thank you!
    The reboot loop is usually caused by not uninstalling a previous overclocking solution properly. It cannot be reproduced if you have only ever installed kernels from the webos-internels feeds.

-- Rod
    unixpsycho, rwhitby

I have been running the F105 1.4.1-69 kernel since it was updated. I have found no bugs or issues with it. However I have found that my pre is SUPER SUPER SMOOTH running at 1005mhz and think that my pre is kind of enjoying it

I have also done some preliminery battery testing with comparisons to stock and uberkernel set screenstate 500/800. I do hope to carry out more 'real life' tests over the next few days but thought it would be worth sharing my prelim results now.

Device details: o2 gsm pre, webOS 1.4.1. Amzen 1400mah battery

Three test states -
    1)Palm Stock 1.4.1
    2)Uberkernel 1.4.1-58 Govnah set Screenstate 500/800
    3)Thunderchief 1.4.1-69 Govnah set Screenstate 500/1005

Before each test I charged to 100% and rebooted my pre(orange+sym+r). All background processes were kept constant throughout all the tests. I used Battery Monitor v1.0.7 to calculate drain per hour. I used powernap to alert me to when the desired time was up (while not ideal, it was all I had to keep track of the first few test times so thought I would keep it this way).

Test A(control test):Idle for 8 hours with aeroplane mode on, wifi off. Battery Monitor set to poll every 30 minutes.
    Drain per hour:
    1) 0.24%
    2) 0.31%
    3) 0.12%

Test B. Idle for 4 hours data on, wifi off. BM poll set to 10mins. Room A, same spot (+/- 10cm) Signal was 4/5 bars 2g
    Drain per hour:
    1) 1.73%
    2) 1.49%
    3) 1.77%

Test C. 30minutes playing Asphault 5, home wifi on with full connection, data off, voice on full bars. BM poll set to 1min
    Drain per hour
    1) 29.96%
    2) 31.74%
    3) 33.76%

As these are preliminary results and have not been extensively not much can be drawn from them as of yet. However, I do hope to run each test twice more and add 3 new 'real life' tests to each. I also want to get round to testing the other kernels (F102A/F104A/Warthog/Sbromwich)

If anyone has any comments to my testing procedure or suggestions on further tests then please feel free to share.

Just wondering if these results are of any use to the developers? And is there any interest in getting a unified effort for testing from other members/users?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The reboot loop is usually caused by not uninstalling a previous overclocking solution properly. It cannot be reproduced if you have only ever installed kernels from the webos-internels feeds.

-- Rod
    I did think that possible residue was left behind, but i did confirm that the cpu was running at original specs followed by battle pulls/restarts just to make sure. once I was good, I went ahead and attempted the install via Preware, with no luck each time. Removed just fine, but install caused the loop. Best luck i had was installing via the WOSQI all three times lol.

Well now I do have the F105 .69, and the only thing I experienced so far is 7-10% drain/hr and one lockup (was running multiple apps, plus got a notice while working it too hard). But it may be it just needed a Batt pull, cause when I first settled at a friends house, my receptions was crappier than an Iphone, but once I did the pull after the lockup, it gained all signal back. Interesting.

So far, so Better
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    I did think that possible residue was left behind, but i did confirm that the cpu was running at original specs followed by battle pulls/restarts just to make sure. once I was good, I went ahead and attempted the install via Preware, with no luck each time. Removed just fine, but install caused the loop. Best luck i had was installing via the WOSQI all three times lol.

Well now I do have the F105 .69, and the only thing I experienced so far is 7-10% drain/hr and one lockup (was running multiple apps, plus got a notice while working it too hard). But it may be it just needed a Batt pull, cause when I first settled at a friends house, my receptions was crappier than an Iphone, but once I did the pull after the lockup, it gained all signal back. Interesting.

So far, so Better
    Just checking the speed is not enough to detect the residue files that will lurk on your device and later cause the reboot loop.

-- Rod
    version 69 really agrees with my pre, it is stable, very smooth and lightning fast. Averaging about 3 percent battery usage at idle. Doesn't seem to drain as fast when using heavily. Very happy with this build. I'm using a sprint pre and no govnah
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Just checking the speed is not enough to detect the residue files that will lurk on your device and later cause the reboot loop.

-- Rod
    I should'a mentioned that I have doctored my Pre this morning (after the first loop) and experienced the same result on a fresh install. Thing is cursed lol

Either way, the work ya guys put in is awesome