Page 39 of 73 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    His 600mhz number is for the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I don't think we should go past 1ghz, just based on what I have seen with people overclocking the DROID. 1ghz is about as far as you can go.

Nick, Sunspider is a synthetic benchmark that is deisgned to use very little memory and only stress the CPU. For people running a non-plus pre with 256mb ram, I doubt the CPU is the bottleneck anymore. In real world usage, you are going to be much more constrained by ram.
    thanks for your insight but I will roll with Marco on this one if he posts the 1.2 ghz for alpha testing I will hopefully be one of the first ones to volunteer. I don't think anyone in this forum would do anything or post anything that would deliberately damage our Pre's. Since the thunderchief itself is an alpha kernal I know the risks involved and am willing to take them in the name of testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Maybe I misread the details BUT i thought it was said that there was no way to have it drop to 500mgz while on the touchstone unless screen was off.
    F105 will drop to 500MHz on the Touchstone if the screen brightness goes low enough. The screenstate governor doesn't really know the difference between a very low brightness setting and off. I've had mine set this way since day 1 and it works great.

EDIT: -67 changed the operation of the screenstate governor and it will no longer change speeds based on brightness.
    Last edited by 4wheels; 07/05/2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Nick, Sunspider is a synthetic benchmark that is deisgned to use very little memory and only stress the CPU. For people running a non-plus pre with 256mb ram, I doubt the CPU is the bottleneck anymore. In real world usage, you are going to be much more constrained by ram.
    Understood, but because the SunSpider test is very CPU centric, it's a good tool to test overclocking performance.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    That is hilarious. Cuz Warthog uses the same patchset for the overclocking but he uses 1050 for the highend and even *lower* voltages.

I would call this a placebo. But whatever you think works well for you.
    I am not sure it's placebo, if you set your screenstate settings to 1005mHz for the low end and 1050mHz for the high end, the graph the change as being different. Maybe others can test that and see if that happens to then too??
    Last edited by thePretender; 07/04/2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Welllll. i just installed this, and i must say it's pretttty damn fast! installation was easy via preware and the kernel testing feed i found on google. CPU temp runs low around 34-35 Celsius which is what it ran on the 800 kernel. 3rd part and native apps start and run incredibly fast. most apps start before the symbol starts glowing when the card pops up if that makes sense. the only problem is that i'm losing battery at a rate of 2% per 10 minutes. all in all props on this one! for anyone who would like to tempt fate and take this on PM me for the CORRECT testing feed.

h t t p://i47.tinypic.com/2pq6jrn.jpg

^^
    picture since i just joined
    Quote Originally Posted by M@tterhorn View Post
    Welllll. i just installed this, and i must say it's pretttty damn fast! installation was easy via preware and the kernel testing feed i found on google. CPU temp runs low around 34-35 Celsius which is what it ran on the 800 kernel. 3rd part and native apps start and run incredibly fast. most apps start before the symbol starts glowing when the card pops up if that makes sense. the only problem is that i'm losing battery at a rate of 2% per 10 minutes. all in all props on this one! for anyone who would like to tempt fate and take this on PM me for the CORRECT testing feed.

h t t p://i47.tinypic.com/2pq6jrn.jpg

^^
    picture since i just joined
    That doesn't sound normal to be losing 2% batt per 10 minutes... You might wanna remove the kernel.. install the recovery kernel from preware, and reinstall the one you were using.

Cheers!
    I'm using Thunderchief F105 without govnah.... Does it need govnah to perform well, or using govnah isn't mandatory but more like preference/choice?
    I use govnah to tweak the comcache settings. It is already hardcoded at around 20 mb.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I use govnah to tweak the comcache settings. It is already hardcoded at around 20 mb.
    So if I don't use govnah will the performance be any less.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    F105 1.4.1.1-67 Just released on this fine 100 degree holiday. I guess temp checking will occur poolside today ( wheres my spare batteries?)
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    I have .67 and govnah .5 no longer shows speeds above 600 or the screen state governor. Is this expected operation? I have v60 before 67. Thanks.
    jamhandman not sure what is going on. I have .67 and govnah .5 and mine is currently working as it did before with .60. Maybe an uninstall/reinstall would fix this.
    Ok I'll do that and report back.
    Just updated to .67 and I'm not complaining at all, but I do already miss a few things about the previous version. I loved the fact that it was so easy/intuitive to just slide my brightness down to 1% when I wanted to to use my phone but didn't want/need to be over clocked, then slide the brightness right back up when I felt the need to go fast. Just a lot easier than opening up Govnah and changing things back and forth there. Also, I don't like that it is forcing 500 when charging, it was nice having options. I mean *generally* I don't mind having my phone be at 500 when it's charging, like overnight when I'm not using it. But there are plenty of times I have to toss my phone on the charger during the day real quick and now it's stuck at 500 when I do so. Overall, this kernel has truly been great since switching from UberKernel. I mean the device runs great in regards to speed, battery life, temperatures. I just feel that a very good 'feature' was lost with this update. I love running at 1GHz, but I also love being in control of *my* device. I understand the risks with alpha testing, or any sort of testing in general. I'm educated/smart enough to monitor my device, I never come on here asking 'stupid' or just plain ignorant questions like some I've read. I figure things out on my own and don't come crying for help when something is wrong or I can't figure it out. All that said, is there another kernel where *I* can control *my* device in the way that works for *me*? Or is it possible to get the previous version of this kernel? I mean I'm okay with bugs and issues, that's understandable. But removing what I'd call 'features' from what I considered the perfect kernel kind of bothers me. Thank you for the constant development Marco, I mean all of this has really taken the Palm Pre to the next level, pretty much a 'new' phone. I look forward to another update or new kernel where the informed/experienced user can control their device as they wish or need to, maybe even 1.2 for ****s and giggles.
    I installed my Thunderchief today. I uninstalled the -60 version. I hope that wasn't a mistake, and not doing the recovery kernel? Because what happened afterwards really sucked. I hit the OK upon Luna Resyart notification and the notification simply closed. It didn't restart right away,and it didn't for well over a couple minutes. I didn't keep track of the exact time it took,pperhaps I should have. So I waited, let it restart and I did a battery pull. Went back into Preware and installed the newly updated Thunderchief. Upon hitting OK to Luna Restart, again it lagged. It has done that about 4 or 5 times now. The first time was just a few days ago,post Thunderchief installation.

That is what I wanted to share with you all; my fellow Palmers. If anyone else experiences this,or has in the past, I would love to hear from you.

To Marco and Rod: What are your guys' thoughts on these; my latest shenanigans?
  17.    #777  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Just updated to .67 and I'm not complaining at all, but I do already miss a few things about the previous version. I loved the fact that it was so easy/intuitive to just slide my brightness down to 1% when I wanted to to use my phone but didn't want/need to be over clocked, then slide the brightness right back up when I felt the need to go fast. Just a lot easier than opening up Govnah and changing things back and forth there. Also, I don't like that it is forcing 500 when charging, it was nice having options. I mean *generally* I don't mind having my phone be at 500 when it's charging, like overnight when I'm not using it. But there are plenty of times I have to toss my phone on the charger during the day real quick and now it's stuck at 500 when I do so. Overall, this kernel has truly been great since switching from UberKernel. I mean the device runs great in regards to speed, battery life, temperatures. I just feel that a very good 'feature' was lost with this update. I love running at 1GHz, but I also love being in control of *my* device. I understand the risks with alpha testing, or any sort of testing in general. I'm educated/smart enough to monitor my device, I never come on here asking 'stupid' or just plain ignorant questions like some I've read. I figure things out on my own and don't come crying for help when something is wrong or I can't figure it out. All that said, is there another kernel where *I* can control *my* device in the way that works for *me*? Or is it possible to get the previous version of this kernel? I mean I'm okay with bugs and issues, that's understandable. But removing what I'd call 'features' from what I considered the perfect kernel kind of bothers me. Thank you for the constant development Marco, I mean all of this has really taken the Palm Pre to the next level, pretty much a 'new' phone. I look forward to another update or new kernel where the informed/experienced user can control their device as they wish or need to, maybe even 1.2 for ****s and giggles.
    Go back a few pages and look at the debate about charging at 500MHz. This is *EXACTLY* why I cannot win, which I predicted back there.

I am sorry for the feature that you loved is now gone. But you were taking advantage of a "bug". 99.9% of users considered that a bug, which it really was a kludge. I heard the same complaining when developers took advantage of undocumented API's and then Microsoft or Apple came out with an update that broke those APIs, developers cried and complained. Well that was their fault for using something that was undocumented or known to have bugs in it that favoured certain things.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    The older ones are still in the testing feed. Just uninstall the current one and install one of the previous ones you liked.
  19.    #779  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    I installed my Thunderchief today. I uninstalled the -60 version. I hope that wasn't a mistake, and not doing the recovery kernel? Because what happened afterwards really sucked. I hit the OK upon Luna Resyart notification and the notification simply closed. It didn't restart right away,and it didn't for well over a couple minutes. I didn't keep track of the exact time it took,pperhaps I should have. So I waited, let it restart and I did a battery pull. Went back into Preware and installed the newly updated Thunderchief. Upon hitting OK to Luna Restart, again it lagged. It has done that about 4 or 5 times now. The first time was just a few days ago,post Thunderchief installation.
    If you are updating Thunderchief then you dont need to uninstall, Preware does it for you. Sometimes the restart after install takes a while. Be patient. Hit "Restart" and walk away for a few minutes.
    Live free or DIE!
    Listen, I'm happy with the update/upgrade. I think it's awesome that it now charges at 500mhz.( If I'm reading correctly) @ Unixpsycho you know by now that someone on here is always gonna complain about this or that.

Keep sending the updates/upgrade for your kernels.... (note for everyone) Please read the info on the update prior to install.

Cheers!