Page 38 of 73 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    ssshhhhh. There are already 1.4.5 builds of F105 available and working.

When the next major version comes along it will take a while to hack it to overclock.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There are 1.4.5 builds of all our kernels in the testing feed.

Once I get some wider feedback on UberKernel on 1.4.5 (it works fine for me) I'll push it to the public feed.

-- Rod
    Thanks guys! I will wait patiently for 1.4.5. I was just wondering if I had to get my heart ready to go stock for a while. What an awesome team you are!!
    After doing more testing to see just how much faster 1005Mhz is than 800mhz, I increased the count from 10000000 to 40000000, my theory was that in the long run that the faster clock speeds would separate at a quicker rate. And I was correct on my hypothesis. I'm testing something else at the moment, using the idea of Race to Idle I'm testing my phone with the scaling of 1005mhz to 600mhz & with 1005mhz to 550mhz to see which is the perfect one battery consumption and temperature.

800Mhz
    root@palm-webos-device: time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null count=40000000
    40000000+0 records in
    40000000+0 records out
    real 2m 29.18s
    user 0m 21.55s
    sys 1m 35.82s

900Mhz
    40000000+0 records in
    40000000+0 records out
    real 2m 4.65s
    user 0m 19.60s
    sys 1m 26.10s

1005mhz
    40000000+0 records in
    40000000+0 records out
    real 1m 55.74s
    user 0m 16.80s
    sys 1m 18.41s
    I am running 1.2gig now
    Any time frame on when this will be alpha tested?
    I just read this thread, and was so pumped up, I put on Top Gun with danger zone blairing... Now time to install f105. Thanks guys.
    I am not at liberty to say which version.

But if you look at 2.6.34 you'll see a huge merge of OMAP34xx code into mainline.

Then Palm will be giving us a pretty kick **** kernel in it's own right! I look forward to the up coming changes!

M.
    so four days into testing and I have to say awesomeness no lag no hic ups just pure smoothness have not seen the temp go above 41 amazingly I have tried no use which is about 2 an hour not much difference from stock on my phone moderate use some net use a little messaging and game use come to around 15% an hour...with high use card of net on and earthwarm jim and constant messaging started at 6 now at 10:50 pm I am at 51% I'd say this is awesome...
    Well i installed the thunderchief thursday morning ..installed and ran fine until about 11am that morning ..whent to make a call and it froze on me ... it started working fine .... my wife called and i answered and she could not hear me , i thought it was her cheap azz vzw service .. but it was me .... i said well ill do the good old doctor .. in the mean time i call the local sprint service center to see if they would replace my pre cause of a crack at the usb port . tech said yes they will. on the way there i noticed it would not work untill i put the headphones in . you know its messed up when it wont ring normal till you plug the phones in and then it will ring ... so on my new pre will be here monday .. ill just stick to the 720 kernel .. till my upgrADE in december..
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheels View Post
    If you have your screen "on" brightness set to a low/normal level (I use 11% brightness), the screenstate governor will set it to the 1GHz. Then when the normal screen dim occurs, it will drop to the 500MHz after sitting on the Touchstone for a bit.
    Maybe I misread the details BUT i thought it was said that there was no way to have it drop to 500mgz while on the touchstone unless screen was off.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've been testing this kernel for about 24 hrs. So far, excellent. It's also the first kernel since OEM that is allowing me to scale down to 250MHz. It actually let me use 125, but I wasn't comfortable leaving it there, as I had been crashing using 250 on UberKernel & Warthog.
    I've also noticed that even after a phone reset, all of my Govnah settings are remaining the same- not going to default! Love that (as long as none of the settings are causing a crash, of course)!
    I've also been getting spectacular battery life. Off the charger for over three hours and still at 92% with only minimal usage [one call of about 4 minutes and checking email twice].
    Sorry I didn't try this earlier.
    Last edited by Trident; 07/03/2010 at 09:37 AM.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt406regal View Post
    Well i installed the thunderchief thursday morning ..installed and ran fine until about 11am that morning ..whent to make a call and it froze on me ... it started working fine .... my wife called and i answered and she could not hear me , i thought it was her cheap azz vzw service .. but it was me .... i said well ill do the good old doctor .. in the mean time i call the local sprint service center to see if they would replace my pre cause of a crack at the usb port . tech said yes they will. on the way there i noticed it would not work untill i put the headphones in . you know its messed up when it wont ring normal till you plug the phones in and then it will ring ... so on my new pre will be here monday .. ill just stick to the 720 kernel .. till my upgrADE in december..
    It's stuck in headset mode which is a known and documented issue that has ben around for a long time. It has nothing to do with the kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I've been testing this kernel for about 24 hrs. So far, excellent. It's also the first kernel since OEM that is allowing me to scale down to 250MHz. It actually let me use 125, but I wasn't comfortable leaving it there, as I had been crashing using 250 on UberKernel & Warthog.
    I've also noticed that even after a phone reset, all of my Govnah settings are remaining the same- not going to default! Love that (as long as none of the settings are causing a crash, of course)!
    I've also been getting spectacular battery life. Off the charger for over three hours and still at 92% with only minimal usage [one call of about 4 minutes and checking email twice].
    Sorry I didn't try this earlier.
    You can set those values (125 and 250) in Govnah but, it still only goes down to 500Mhz on the low end by design.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tainvst View Post
    You can set those values (125 and 250) in Govnah but, it still only goes down to 500Mhz on the low end by design.
    Really? Interesting. I thought that if those frequencies were not available, they wouldn't show up.
    Thanks for the info. I guess that's why I'm not crashing at the lower frequencies. I'm not really at them.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    There was a post around page 5 that explained why. Just don't remember the wording.
    I am excited to hear about 1.2gigs!!!!!!!!!!!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    where can i download it from ?
    Running F105 on a Verizon Pre Plus. Been off the charger since 10am this morning. Drove ~ 30 miles, rode the underground subway (lots of handoffs, dead areas) for ~40 mins in both directions. Gmail set to as it arrives, Exchange set to every 15 minutes. Had 3-4 phone calls, checked voicemail (< 30 mins total), checked weather a few times, ran Newsroom and read a few articles on the subway. Ran Newsroom and Facebook again at home (on WiFi for ~ 15 mins total).

Temps stayed < 34C during actual use, swap hovered between 380-398MB. Battery dropped from 100% - 71% over 7.5 hours, so ~ 3.8% per hour. That's similar to the burn I saw on Uber w/ Conservative 250/800 sampling every 0.5 secs, up threshold 55%, down threshold 35%, step 40%. Uber would generally not top 28C, but other than that, power consumption is similar on my Pre.

Much smoother, but that's a given
    Quote Originally Posted by jatta12 View Post
    where can i download it from ?
    Read the entire thread. Even if Marco didn't state where to get this from, it's somewhere buried in the thread.
    From my testing it looks like performance isn't flattening out yet. 1.2 ghz should be nice.

Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Any time frame on when this will be alpha tested?
    I don't think we should go past 1ghz, just based on what I have seen with people overclocking the DROID. 1ghz is about as far as you can go.

Nick, Sunspider is a synthetic benchmark that is deisgned to use very little memory and only stress the CPU. For people running a non-plus pre with 256mb ram, I doubt the CPU is the bottleneck anymore. In real world usage, you are going to be much more constrained by ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    From my testing it looks like performance isn't flattening out yet. 1.2 ghz should be nice.

You should probably rerun these test again. In real life usage 600 will never be slower than 500. A more realistic test, would be using something like time

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null count=90000000