Page 36 of 73 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wanablaze View Post
    This thing cooks! Was way easier to install than I thought it'd be. Took me about a half hour to find newest wosqi, install it, and then install thunderchief. I spent more time looking for the ipf file than actually installing it.
    You really should install from the Preware alpha testing feed so that you get notification of updates ...

-- Rod
    Hi,

I was using F102 and am installing F105A, but I noticed that there are other kernels that are newer with some very strange names.

Such as Warhog, etc. are those different and in what way.

The version I had F102, I did not need to deal with Govnur it was a kernel that had a built set of speeds and you could not play around with it.

Hopefuly F105A is just like that. But I'm not sure if I go by the listing if I shouldn't be installing those Warthog Kernels and now something by someone I'm not sure of SBromwich Kernel?

Thanks for any of the info you can provide. Just want to be as safe as possible, even if I do go into a melt down! LOL!

Rob

UPDATE: I installed F105A and all looks good. Even though I don't believe I need Govnur, it is reporting back that I am at 1ghz.

But does anyone know why I am left with a icon that just has the history in it, nothing else. The app is labeled F105 Thunderchief? Is it suppose to be there?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 07/01/2010 at 04:57 AM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wanablaze View Post
    This thing cooks! Was way easier to install than I thought it'd be. Took me about a half hour to find newest wosqi, install it, and then install thunderchief. I spent more time looking for the ipf file than actually installing it.

My pre would shut down mid boot after the install. To get it running i had to press volume up while starting. Is this normal? Seems to work fine now and thunderchief icon is in my "app" menu.
    That isn't normal...you should be using Preware to do the install, not WebOS Quick Install, since that will let you easily monitor for updates as well as uninstall it before 1.4.5 comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

But does anyone know why I am left with a icon that just has the history in it, nothing else. The app is labeled F105 Thunderchief? Is it suppose to be there?
    Uberkernel did this as well. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $supposed$ $to$ $be$ $there$.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Unixpsycho, do you know if any progress has been made on getting Touchstone charging to trigger the cut-over to 500MHz? Related to this, would it be possible to trigger the conversion of 1GHz to 500MHz the moment you plug in the charger rather than needing to toggle the screen state?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I tried F105 all yesterday and was ok...but seemed slow at times...then had picked up to be faster and it'd be ok. It usually happened after I woke the phone up but sometimes it would do it randomly. An hour ago I just had to switch back to warthog as the phone was running strangely while I had the youtube app open. I would go to scroll then immediately open the video I started to scroll on...then it'd take a couple back swipes to go back then when I would scroll down it would shoot down about 5-6 videos then come right back to where it was...very strange. So I'm now back on warthog -62
  7.    #707  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaciel90 View Post
    I tried F105 all yesterday and was ok...but seemed slow at times...then had picked up to be faster and it'd be ok. It usually happened after I woke the phone up but sometimes it would do it randomly. An hour ago I just had to switch back to warthog as the phone was running strangely while I had the youtube app open. I would go to scroll then immediately open the video I started to scroll on...then it'd take a couple back swipes to go back then when I would scroll down it would shoot down about 5-6 videos then come right back to where it was...very strange. So I'm now back on warthog -62
    That is hilarious. Cuz Warthog uses the same patchset for the overclocking but he uses 1050 for the highend and even *lower* voltages.

I would call this a placebo. But whatever you think works well for you.
    Live free or DIE!
  8.    #708  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Unixpsycho, do you know if any progress has been made on getting Touchstone charging to trigger the cut-over to 500MHz? Related to this, would it be possible to trigger the conversion of 1GHz to 500MHz the moment you plug in the charger rather than needing to toggle the screen state?
    I was working on it for a while, not going not happen. Palm has informed us dont bother trying. The TS charging code is controlled by the modem which we cant touch in kernelspace.

http://forums.precentral.net/2516909-post850.html

But there's an easy fix... Simply dont have your screen set too low, remove conflicting apps that get in the way of reading the screen level, and turn off the LCD on the Touchstone - then it would scale down to 500MHz.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    That is hilarious. Cuz Warthog uses the same patchset for the overclocking but he uses 1050 for the highend and even *lower* voltages.

I would call this a placebo. But whatever you think works well for you.
    It was weird...i thought the same thing about warthog using patchset but I didn't experience it with warthog. I'm gonna keep doing comparisons when I get home as I'm at work and need my phone to work without annoying me. But who knows...maybe it woulda done the same with warthog...i guess I'll try to replicate with warthog...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    So far everyhing is great for me, following directions an temp has been no higher than 40. The only thing I have noticed is if I go into an app or site in browser and start to scroll to quickly, the screen freezes for a brief second before continuing. I'm sure that's just because I am just being over anxious, probably nothing to do with kernel. Great Job!
    I'm sorry, but let me see if I understand properly what's going on with the kernel.

When the screen is on, the clock is 1GHz, when it's off the clock is 500MHz. Also, when the phone is charging it is at 500MHz (except on touchstone) but it takes a screen cycle to set this. Govnah is an app that reads info from the kernel sets flags to control the clock speed.

Compcache compresses a small amount of ram to provide a large, mid-speed place to store memory to ease the transition from fast memory to slow swap. Also, the TMC error has been disabled.

The processor is being undervolted to save battery, correct?

If these assumptions are right, I have a couple of question-suggestions for you. Would it be possible to integrate the functionality of mode switching in to the clock speed control of Govnah? For example, the clock could automatically change from screenstate to userstate with a fixed clock speed when placed on the charging via cable/touchstone or when your battery gets below 20%. I could also potentially see a use for time of day changes, though not nearly as often as the battery level/touchstone charging.

Also, what about a control for the voltage levels? Every processor is going to have a wide variation in the amount of undervolting it can perform stably with, which would greatly limit any hard coded settings into the kernel (has to be stable on just about every device, right?). A user setting would provide for much better battery life on many phone.

Anyway, from my testing the battery life, stability and temperatures of this kernel have been excellent. I haven't noticed any significant increase in battery drain over the 800MHz clock, in fact I would lean towards better battery life.

I have noticed hangs on occasion when loading apps or the launcher, but it's been inconsistent. As I'm using a Sprint Pre I imaging it's more related to the memory being full than to the kernel being unstable, but it still might be relevant.

As far as temperature testing, I ran sunspider tests back to back for a little over an hour and I played various PDK games (Asphalt, Hero of Sparta, etc) for extended periods of time without problems. The highest temperature that I noticed was about 42C.

I'm confident that with proper undervolting many of these phones will be able to handle clocks greater than 1GHz, but not at the current voltage settings. Even though the temperatures have been well in the acceptable range they are still 2-3C higher than the 800MHz kernel. Another 200MHz jump would raise them (by my estimation) at least 5-8C. Greater undervolting on the phones that can handle it would probably counter a lot of this.
    This may not be the place for this, but what the heck, you all will know where if I've misplaced this...

What about a use and temp sensitive governor, that would run at max speed when the screen is on, but scale back if the temp gets too high? Sort of like: screen off 125, screen on 1Ghz, past temp x, reduce by the predefined steps (800, 720, 600, 550) to 500. If temp makes it to y, sound alarm. If temp gets up to z, turn device off. (Where x, y and z would all be configurable in govnah.)
    Somebody PLEASE tell me if this is true? Or a joke?? :S
    Can't wait for my Pré!
    it is for reals...

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akienmaciain View Post
    This may not be the place for this, but what the heck, you all will know where if I've misplaced this...

What about a use and temp sensitive governor, that would run at max speed when the screen is on, but scale back if the temp gets too high? Sort of like: screen off 125, screen on 1Ghz, past temp x, reduce by the predefined steps (800, 720, 600, 550) to 500. If temp makes it to y, sound alarm. If temp gets up to z, turn device off. (Where x, y and z would all be configurable in govnah.)
    This has been mentioned before as something that was being worked on for other kernels(not the 102/104/105s), but I have not heard anything on this in around a week or so when Unixpsycho mentioned it.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneBunting View Post
    Somebody PLEASE tell me if this is true? Or a joke?? :S
    If you had read the responses in this thread, you would have seen that many people are testing things on 105, pulling it off, trying this and that, talking about new builds, etc.

It is very real, and works beautifully!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You really should install from the Preware alpha testing feed so that you get notification of updates ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    That isn't normal...you should be using Preware to do the install, not WebOS Quick Install, since that will let you easily monitor for updates as well as uninstall it before 1.4.5 comes out.
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'll take all the advice I can get right now. I've never used preware, so I guess I have more reading to do. I've had 4 other pre's and never hacked/rooted one before... kinda dove in headfirst. The reason I used preware to install was because those were the install "directions" from unixpsycho's page (unless I read it wrong).

To the OP, another "bug" i have noticed is that if I receive a notification while the phone is off, I get two chimes/vibrations when the phone starts up instead of one. No big deal, but it's done this twice: once for a voicemail and once for a text. It used to just chime/vibrate once as it was starting up. I am running -60 with no issues! yeeehawww
    installed F105 -60 kernal on a 1.4.5 version webos and YES it works fine

*as mentioned in another thread, I got the update from an ATT palm pre/ flashed with sprint webos 1.3.5 then OTA update to 1.4.5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    installed F105 -60 kernal on a 1.4.5 version webos and YES it works fine

*as mentioned in another thread, I got the update from an ATT palm pre/ flashed with sprint webos 1.3.5 then OTA update to 1.4.5
    Can you leave it installed for the update or do you have to remove it?
    Laissez Faire
    not sure.

always advised to remove first though.

This was a freshly doctored pre. updated FIRST, then installed kernal second