Page 32 of 73 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Cuz Warthog is really not there...regular users cant see it. like Area 51.

In all seriousness, that kernel wasnt meant for end-users unless they accept upgrading everyday.
    Honestly, except for the screen not always wanting to turn on right away, it's the most stable, smooth, and least power hungry kernel I've used yet. I have it locked at 720MHz and (at idle) consistently get <1% drain per hour. Even doing work, getting mails and such, it won't go over 3% drain. I wasn't aware that it wasn't for general consumption. I hate to say it, but I tried F105 and got rid of it in under a day. 8% - 10% drain *at idle* (even after battery pull) and not having it at >=1GHz. I had it at 800MHz.

I put Warthog back on and went right back down to <1% (at idle).

M.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Honestly, except for the screen not always wanting to turn on right away, it's the most stable, smooth, and least power hungry kernel I've used yet. I have it locked at 720MHz and (at idle) consistently get <1% drain per hour. Even doing work, getting mails and such, it won't go over 3% drain. I wasn't aware that it wasn't for general consumption. I hate to say it, but I tried F105 and got rid of it in under a day. 8% - 10% drain *at idle* (even after battery pull) and not having it at >=1GHz. I had it at 800MHz.

M.
    I agree with with idle consumption...but while using the phone...it drains bad...but what do you expect when you are running a cpu at twice it's original speed. I'll have to check f105 and compare it with warthog.
    F105-60 burned its first tank on my Pre pretty quickly but was stable and fast:

Sprint Pre
    Good to Excellent Sprint signal during this run
    Bluetooth on
    WiFi off
    Runtime from 87% - 10% = 6 hrs 48 min
    Battery dph 10%+ per hour (see usage notes below)
    Temps ran in the high 20s at rest, cooler than on uber
    Temps under general use ranged in the 30s
    Temps using the GPS while on the car charger produced 45 on CPU, 47 on battery.
    Other usage notes:
    15 minutes of web browsing
    about 20 texts
    10 minutes on Facebook
    1 Exchange account - as items arrive
    1 Gmail account - as items arrive
    2 Gmail accounts - every 15 minutes
    Bad Kitty running for about 2 hours, checking every 15 minutes

Overall stable, fast and smooth on my Pre. I'll give it a run tomorrow under the worst possible conditions for battery life, roaming only with no WiFi available. I hate working in a cell phone dungeon.
    CTSLICK
    Rock ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaciel90 View Post
    I agree with with idle consumption...but while using the phone...it drains bad...but what do you expect when you are running a cpu at twice it's original speed. I'll have to check f105 and compare it with warthog.

I don't know. Frankly I don't care about all this one point twenty one jig-a-hertz stuff. ~800 is plenty fast for me (I don't notice 720 being much less). I need my phone to be *on*. I'm looking to *save* power, not spend it so I can have my ringtone tell me there's a call a 1/16 of a second faster.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post

The only problem with this post is that you don't specify the version of each.

Both of those kernels change so frequently that you really do need to specify the exact version every time to refer to one.

There was a version of Warthog, for example, which did a 50% drain per hour. There was another version which ran at 1050, but which voltages that made it only perform the same as 800. This is why its not an end-user suitable kernel - it will jump around from being perfect to being not-so-perfect and back to perfect again from version to version as different things are being tried.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/30/2010 at 01:03 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The only problem with this post is that you don't specify the version of each.

Both of those kernels change so frequently that you really do need to specify the exact version every time to refer to one.

There was a version of Warthog, for example, which did a 50% drain per hour. There was another version which ran at 1050, but which voltages that made it only perform the same as 800. This is why its not an end-user suitable kernel - it will jump around from being perfect to being crap and back to perfect again from version to version as different things are being tried.

-- Rod

You're, Rod. I'm in the middle of trying to sleep (quarter to 1am here...).

Warthog 48 through 61
    F105 59 & 60

M.
    Hello good men and women. I just installed the compcache today. I am running this on my Verizon Palm Pre 1.4.1 I am installed the thunderchief kernel, and although I do see some speed increase, I also notice some slight freeze ups. And the occasional stalled screen, that happened when I tried opening a youtube link. It also as I mentioned, stalled a bit, even froze when I opened my apps for the first time using the thunderchief. But that it goes away after that first launch. Well somewhat anyway. Everything outside of that , the kernel works fine. But for me it still just isn't exactly show stopping compared to the super prekernel,which I just learned today is part of the team behind f105 and compcache if I am not mistaken. A friend of mine and I tried to search for any apps. Or patches that may conflict with compcache performance, but we could not find anything. Does that also include custome themes? What are the chances of a custom theme to conflict with the compcache, or any other app/outside source for that matter? My pre has rebooted on it's own while just browsing through apps but the unfortunate part is that I didn't keep tab of what app it was precisely. This is my feed back for Verizon 1.4.1 , I hope that this is useful for future updates and projects. I'm thinking of taking a trip to the Pre doctor and just starting all over. But before I do, I would like to hear what you guys have to say.
    after searching for about an hour last morning(forum search sucks, btw), finally found the feed and installed it. Other than being a bit thirstier with the battery, no issues here.

rather disheartening though, imho, to get home from working a graveyard shift, check precentral (OMG AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!), then find out that everyone is treating it like a state secret or something. Even after it made the front page of precentral.

why not just simply post the feed and nothing else? Those who know how to use preware (and obviously knew how to install it) will know what to do with it. Seems rather childish. Just my 2
    Just installed the f105-60 kernal on my Sprint Pre (which I got in February). Was using uber before this, not sure of the version, but the one before the most current. Was running idle about 35-37. Unsure of typical battery dph.

Running screenstate 500/1005

f105 runs very cool. Idles at probably mid to high 20's screen off, about 30-32 with the screen on, little data usage. I've been playing music on it for about 3 hours or so, and its running cool at 30-32 (music player remix). I've seen it get up to about 38-39, but rarely above 40. With uber it routinely got hot enough to feel on the case physically. Playing music would jump up to about 45-48 immediately. GPS would jump up to 55 right away (sprintnav). Can't comment on that yet, haven't used gps with f105.

DPH with f105 is about 10-12. While I've been playing music tonight it's been about 12.5% per hour.

May have noticed a bug. Last night, I think after I plugged it in before bed, I kept remembering to check a couple of things before I passed out. I would check, turn off the screen, and it would turn back on. Now that I think about it, it would turn on to the lock screen, so maybe it wasn't plugged in. I can't really remember, but it happened several times I know for sure. Don't think it was user error.

All in all, great kernal, I like where this is going.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    quick question. What is different between F105 kernel and Warthog? I see new kernel in preware warthog.
    warthog is more of a "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" kernel than F105.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettwerk View Post
    quick question. What is different between F105 kernel and Warthog? I see new kernel in preware warthog.
    Warthog is an experimental developer testbed. It is not intended for use by end-users, and it can change functionality and features drastically from version to version, and the only real documentation of it's current status is in the source code at http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke...git;a=shortlog

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    thanks rwhitby for explain.
    With -60 and compcache disabled I don't seem to have any freezing. Even with compcache disabled I am able to open tons of cards with no TMC errors.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I just had my 4 paragraph comment some how refreshed in the middle of typing this down with my pre. Very upsetting,i refuse to type that all over again simply put, I tweeked the min and max frequency. Min- 500 Max-1ghz and I luna restarted because my profile would change back to 800mhz for some reason. And I also made the mistake of not luna restarting after adjusting my logging manager. Now everything as far as I've noticed works okay. I still have more run through to go through and ensure that this is flawless, and that dph isn't an issue. I use the web more than anything other than calls and texts. I hope this feedback is useful to the staff working on this compcache. The last and most certainly important feed back I habe to share with everyone is that while on the min-125 and max-1ghz freq. Setup my phone rebooted on it's own. Here was the cause. I was on fb beta posting an update and afterward opened a card after I received a text and before I could reply, my phone rebooted. On a side note, there is one app that conflicts through my preware feed. It is the sms ringtone per contact patch. It will not update or be removed. I get a ipkg error. I hope some of this feedback is of use.
    on a side note. I don't have multiple cards/apps opened at one time. NEVER. If this is of use to the developers of compcache, again; I don't use multiple cards or run apps at the same time. I hope this feedback is useful in the long run of compcache as a whole. I am running this kernel on 1.4.1.1, (installed url as 1.4.1 for Verizon)
    will this kernal finally arrived preware in the official kernel feed?
    Quote Originally Posted by orckiller View Post
    will this kernal finally arrived preware in the official kernel feed?
    No. Features from this kernel after being tested will be rolled into uberkernel.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Was using F105-60 with no issues. Updated Govnah and installed the Save/Restore 0.9.2. Now I can't get Govnah or Command line to register the 1005 clock speed. Will back track and try to find where this change occurred or where I made a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    With -60 and compcache disabled I don't seem to have any freezing. Even with compcache disabled I am able to open tons of cards with no TMC errors.
    Note that the F10x series of kernels have the TMC lowmemnotify code permanently and completely disabled. You will never get a TMC error from an F10x kernel, no matter how hard you try until you fill both memory and swap and crash the device.

-- Rod