Page 29 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    i've been running .60 for almost a day now. Phone is fast, but stays a lot cooler. (A little bit above room temp) Nice work on this build.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Try disabling compcache to see if the pausing goes away. I suspect the Pre's CPU isnt as good with number crunching like other CPUs, like what's in the Pixi. The Pixi destroys the Pre-overclocked in some benchmarks.

a kernel-based temp throttle is in the works.
    Compache is off(AT&T version of the Pre Plus, no shortage of RAM).
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Njtroncoso View Post
    I get an error trying to install that says that this kernel is not compatible with my version of OS... ??? I;m running 1.4.1.1
    Has anybody else had this problem??
    I haven't tried this myself, but if you try installing the kernel from 1.4.2 and you have 1.4.1.1, that MIGHT cause that error. You are looking in the wrong place for the kernel YOU need from the sound of it.
    In the few tests I ran last night and this morning on the latest version -60 I am seeing improved battery life. Everyone morning I get up around 4:30am visit PreCentral, update Preware, and look for updates to my app catalog apps and when it is constant use I can just see the battery life decreasing no problem because I love the speed. With -60 doing the same routine this morning I had to wonder is the battery working. I did a little extra this morning and used my wifi sync to sync two videos and it only lost 1% in battery life. I usually am at about 85% so I have to put my Pre with the 2600 battery on the touchstone while I get dressed for work so I can crank it back up to 100%.

I am always impressed with the other kernels but I must say and old Southern saying when they eat something good "you must have put your foot in this kernel" I will be content with this one for awhile. Now if the 1.2 ghz comes out I will have to experiment with that one as well. Thanks unixpyscho.
    Last edited by mamouton; 06/29/2010 at 06:49 AM.
    Reading through the F105 Thunderchief thread, I couldn't help but notice all the people asking where the download is, why is this? Did they not read the very first post? Did they not comprehend what it is that was written in said post? I welcome all opinions and thoughts on why people do this.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Ive had the F105 on my Pre + for a few days now. Yesterday I did a full run from 100% charge to Zero and got approximately 7 hours out of the battery; with my percentage of use per hour going between 9-15 percent. Ill list how I used the phone.

All antenna's except for wifi on.
    -Email and Twitter pushing at every half hour
    -Roughly 20 text messages sent throughout my work day.
    -Deleted a few junk emails.
    -Browsed Preware off and on all day.
    -Between 5-10 webpages, and some time spent with the Engadget app.
    -Two 5 minute Youtube videos
    -45 Minutes stream of the 404 podcast via bluetooth in my car.

After the podcast which drained the battery at like 15 percent an hour it was over. Amazingly I received no high temp warnings. The phone felt warm to the touch during video playback but nothing out of the ordinary and again no temp warnings. It should also be noted I'm not a heavy multitasker. I am in the habit of closing out cards after I'm done with them. At most I might have had 4 to 5 cards going at one point.

Aside from the expected accelerated battery drain I have no other problems. No crashes, freezing, artifacts, nothing.

Im going to continue using the F105, as the battery drain isn't a problem. I have a TS in my car and on my desk at work, the phone is rarely in a place I cant charge it.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I've been on -60 since yesterday afternoon, and am blown away. The temp on the touchstone is much lower than with UberKernel(35c vs ~40-41c) My Pre is super fast, and I have experienced no freeze ups or lags. UnixPsycho is the man!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Thanks for all your hardwork, I finally had the free time to search for the testing feed. I just uninstalled the UK and will put on the F105. Will update with some stats. Any specifics tests you would like ran. I am on a week long break and don't have much to do this week. I am willing to run whatever.

Also to everyone else looking for the feed google is your friend especially if you search: "Here it is....How to add Testing Feed in Preware." Best of luck
    so far using the F105, its been 3 days... my results from a 100% charge at night (then standby for 10 hours off the charger going to 85%):

I got 13 hours of use of the phone from 85% 6am to 12% at 7:30pm

from 6am to 4:30pm moderate use, text messages, tweet me, preware, newsroom, accuweather, a few calls

then from 5 to 7:30 music player remix for working out about a 20% drop for the 2.5 hours straight.

I also opened up 40 cards with very minimal slow down and no TMC errors (i tried this all on a sprint pre, I have a AT&T pre have not tried that yet)

all in all this kernal is the best Ive used so far.
    I got the F105 up and running, yesterday. I'd like to thank Unixpsycho for what appears to be a great kernel in my limited testing.

Things are blazing fast and appear to be stable with my usage thus far. That's saying something as I had the old, old 800sh previously. (Yes, I doctored the phone first.) I hadn't realized so much progress had gone on with the screenstate stuff... it seems like I'll get more speed and more battery life than I got before, since 95% of the day is with the screen off.

I hadn't crossed over into the world of Govnah before yesterday, so I have limited experience with what is a "normal" temp. When I got F105 up it was at 44 degrees. I was not too surprised by that and figured that my huge extended battery may play a role in that. However, upon a little use it seemed to drop dramatically to 34 degrees. I put it down for a few to charge (which I know puts it back to 500mhz), and it was around 27 degrees. That definitely seems like a good sign.

I'm not sure if I'll be a good alpha tester as my battery metrics may be off. It's a bigger battery to start, but it's a generic off Ebay, so its real mAh is anyone's guess.

Besides all the "good job" wishes, I would like to comment on the people asking for where the kernel is...

I realize the first post said, "I'm not going to tell you where it is." I think we all saw that. However, it is reasonable to ask in this thread in case someone else is willing to say where it is. Otherwise the first post could have said, "I respectfully ask that no one disclose where it is" or something to that effect.

However, the concept of using people's ability to find needles in haystacks as a way of determining if they are a good alpha tester is extremely odd to me. If I offered anyone the ability to test drive my Ferrari, but said, "To make sure you are good drivers, you must first find where I've hidden the keys." you'd think I was a crazy loon. I would actually be more offended if people accepted that logic, than if they called me a crazy loon.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just disappointed that my extensive software engineering experience and degree were trivialized. I had to spend many hours searching these forums (with a really bad search by the way), Unixpsycho.com, the Webos Internals wiki, etc... only to find that when I had all the information I had to piece it together like a puzzle. I never did find a thread that simply explained the testing feed url completely. I had to put the partial URL (ending in "/testing/") in a browser to realize that there is more to it that wasn't explained in other threads I saw.

I respect the wishes to not let everyone grab unstable stuff and destroy their devices via their own stupidity. I just think a better system should be in place. Maybe it is via invite or something. I can tell you there are a lot of people who probably could have helped who gave up searching... and a lot of people who hit the jackpot with the search who are probably the ones you wanted to keep this away from.

Sorry for being so wordy. Fortunately, most of my 1700+ are much, much shorter.
    after a full day of testing -60. I've noticed pausing, from simple tasks of checking email to texting. (i do have lots of emails though; about 1 every 10 miniutes)

never noticed any pausing in -47

battery life for me is the same on -47 and -60

I noticed unix said above to disable compache. I will give that a try.

for me, thus far though, -47 is more stable and speedwise to the naked eye, performance is the same in -47 and -60
    My 2 cents:

Installed F105-60 yesterday on a Palm Pre (O2DE, unlocked used with Movistar Argentina SIM Card)
    Running Screenstate Gov. with 500-1005 settings and compcache enabled
    Temp went up to 41C° as soon as it booted and then decreased to 38C°. We are in the middle of winter in Argentina, and at home it got as low as 18C° !
    Started with a full charge. Used it through yesterday with little to none WiFi usage. After 14 hours with this settings Battery life was good, reaching 77% this morning. Today I started with this 77% and used a lot of WiFi without charging. After 4 Hours Battery is at 46% which is pretty good considering the test conditions.
    As far as speed and general performance, there is not much I can Add: great performance, games run like a blaze, too many cards is part of my past now and in general I notice that applications which were a bit painful to use (facebook, Preware while updating feeds, etc) are now a pleasure to use.

Overall, I highly recommend this new kernel.

I did test the Überkernel before and performance improved at 800MHz but the real change came with 105-60. While testing this kernel and by a terrible (terrible!) mistake i got the phone to run at 60C° (flamy Icon and all) but the phone performed ok even at this temp and with no noticeable damage. I DO NOT ENDORSE, RECOMMEND OR EVEN SUGGEST YOU REACH THIS TEMP. THIS IS JUST A COMMENT TO ILLUSTRATE MY EXPERIENCE.

GO TEAM, GO ! This kernel shows what power users are made of
    Noticed my first issue with the kernel, using the latest build. I did not notice this before (although maybe I missed it).

When my Pre is on the touchstone and I have the phone set to vibrate, I get no vibration for a text message. I get normal vibration alerts for emails. If I take it off the touchstone or turn on audible alerts, it is normal.

Anyone else experiencing this?
  14.    #574  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    I realize the first post said, "I'm not going to tell you where it is." I think we all saw that. However, it is reasonable to ask in this thread in case someone else is willing to say where it is. Otherwise the first post could have said, "I respectfully ask that no one disclose where it is" or something to that effect.

However, the concept of using people's ability to find needles in haystacks as a way of determining if they are a good alpha tester is extremely odd to me. If I offered anyone the ability to test drive my Ferrari, but said, "To make sure you are good drivers, you must first find where I've hidden the keys." you'd think I was a crazy loon. I would actually be more offended if people accepted that logic, than if they called me a crazy loon.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just disappointed that my extensive software engineering experience and degree were trivialized. I had to spend many hours searching these forums (with a really bad search by the way), Unixpsycho.com, the Webos Internals wiki, etc... only to find that when I had all the information I had to piece it together like a puzzle. I never did find a thread that simply explained the testing feed url completely. I had to put the partial URL (ending in "/testing/") in a browser to realize that there is more to it that wasn't explained in other threads I saw.

I respect the wishes to not let everyone grab unstable stuff and destroy their devices via their own stupidity. I just think a better system should be in place. Maybe it is via invite or something. I can tell you there are a lot of people who probably could have helped who gave up searching... and a lot of people who hit the jackpot with the search who are probably the ones you wanted to keep this away from.
    I respectfully disagree.

I did not want a private testing group. I believe in open testing, up to a point. I want all bugs and technical tidbits posted out on the open for everyone to see. You will never see me purposely tell someone to PM me to talk technical or for install help/debugging. There are quite a few users on this site that can figure out things easily and are competent enough to test something without hand holding. I know alot of users on this site and I wanted to give them the latest stuff to play with, most of which know the tidbits of other kernels I have out there so testing for them would be easy.

That being said; I purposely did not want a stampede of users, most of which have problems just installing patches, jumping on to something new just because it sounds cool. NO matter what kind of warning I put on the 1st post they would disregard it, as apparent from many users not reading "Don't ask me where..." and they still ask. This is to save the thread from "how do i install this...", "what is a kernel...", "...this broke my phone...", etc. Proof in point, my Compcache thread posted the links and I had no problem advertising that kernel since it had no chance of destroying a phone.

So simply throwing a grenade in the air and let people do what's instinct is enough. Obviously alot of users found it and are participating just fine. The Ferrari analogy is kind of flawed. I remember getting drilled for test driving a BMW M5...have you ever driven a car like this before...can you afford it... So if you can do a simple search or already are participating in other testing feeds then this is absolutely no big deal at all. If I lost some experienced users that found it silly to search for it then so be it. When I wanted to throw a custom ROM on my old Treo 700wx and Hero I didn't post immediately how do I install this or where to find it. I searched and figured it out on my own *then* posted after I had it installed over bugs and such.

If a user has that kind of determination to search on where to find it then they have the will to test it and accept the risks just by that alone.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Noticed my first issue with the kernel, using the latest build. I did not notice this before (although maybe I missed it).

When my Pre is on the touchstone and I have the phone set to vibrate, I get no vibration for a text message. I get normal vibration alerts for emails. If I take it off the touchstone or turn on audible alerts, it is normal.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    I tested this and the vibration for texts works fine for me. Although I'm not sure why you would want it on vibrate while on the touchstone.
    I don't really care that it is not vibrating, but it is a change from performance prior to this build of the kernel and I figured it warranted reporting.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    I got the F105 up and running, yesterday. I'd like to thank Unixpsycho for what appears to be a great kernel in my limited testing.

Things are blazing fast and appear to be stable with my usage thus far. That's saying something as I had the old, old 800sh previously. (Yes, I doctored the phone first.) I hadn't realized so much progress had gone on with the screenstate stuff... it seems like I'll get more speed and more battery life than I got before, since 95% of the day is with the screen off.

I hadn't crossed over into the world of Govnah before yesterday, so I have limited experience with what is a "normal" temp. When I got F105 up it was at 44 degrees. I was not too surprised by that and figured that my huge extended battery may play a role in that. However, upon a little use it seemed to drop dramatically to 34 degrees. I put it down for a few to charge (which I know puts it back to 500mhz), and it was around 27 degrees. That definitely seems like a good sign.

I'm not sure if I'll be a good alpha tester as my battery metrics may be off. It's a bigger battery to start, but it's a generic off Ebay, so its real mAh is anyone's guess.

Besides all the "good job" wishes, I would like to comment on the people asking for where the kernel is...

Sorry for being so wordy. Fortunately, most of my 1700+ are much, much shorter.
    I found the alpha testing feed and had it working in Preware in less than 5 minutes. No extensive software engineering experience or degree required. I didn't spend any time searching the forums here, I went straight to Google.
    I just wanted to chime in and confirm what others have been saying.... The battery life with -60 is definitely improved over the original f105 release. I've experienced no quantifiable problems yet.

My phone is on the touchstone and has been charging for the past 15 minutes or so. It's chilling at 35C.
  19.    #579  
    I don't really care that it is not vibrating, but it is a change from performance prior to this build of the kernel and I figured it warranted reporting.
    Glad you reported. I will try this by uninstalling back to stock to see if this is true. but someone else said it worked fine. i'll try it anyway. if it works for email and such and not texts I would think nothing is broken and maybe a glitch of the OS getting the signal to the component, like sometimes I dont get a sounds when a text or email comes in but mostly always do.
    Live free or DIE!
    Have you recently installed any patches? I found that SMS Tone Per Contact V2 was causing similar issues for me in the Messaging app.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers