Page 19 of 73 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cakbep View Post
    this is purely speculatory at this point, but if everyone that's having instances of lock up is on an original Pre, it could be that compcache is doing more harm than good, or there's a delay in accessing the swap.
    the latest uberkernel has compcache i think, and i do not experience the freezing with it set at 800 constant. i think it has more to do with the speed increase(imho) as has been stated not all pres will act the same, and what i experienced is just that, my experience.. love the work that rod and unixpsycho are doing
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ok so after unplugging it I would have had to launch a program to clock the speed back to 1ghz?
    I just recently got back into the whole homebrew kernel development thing after a long absence, so I haven't been following things well. But what I believe what he means, is that if you install this kernel and have your charger plugged in, you automatically get scaled down to 500MHz. When I first installed Warthog Kernel I had it plugged in the wall and wondered why I couldn't go any faster than 500MHz. Unplug the phone after installing and then press the power button to turn off the screen and then power once more to turn it back on, and it should be at 1GHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB007 View Post
    I just recently got back into the whole homebrew kernel development thing after a long absence, so I haven't been following things well. But what I believe what he means, is that if you install this kernel and have your charger plugged in, you automatically get scaled down to 500MHz. When I first installed Warthog Kernel I had it plugged in the wall and wondered why I couldn't go any faster than 500MHz. Unplug the phone after installing and then press the power button to turn off the screen and then power once more to turn it back on, and it should be at 1GHz.
    oh ok thank you for clearing that up for me.

not sure if this is caused by the kernel, but google map's icons are all messed up...
    Last edited by jamhandman; 06/26/2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Wrong image url.
    This does not work with the Navtech charger-holster. When this kernel is installed the battery charger cycles on and off.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    not sure if this is caused by the kernel, but google map's icons are all messed up...
    Thanks for putting where you live. lol

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I have been running the F105 kernel for about 24 hours now. Just checked google maps. No messed up icons.

Finally having a day off work is going to give me a chance to do some really nice testing. Ill be reporting back later tonight with a full set of results.

Checked Google Maps on my PrePlus and the icons look normal. Overclocking is risky, you could be experiencing strange computational errors from your CPU not being happy running at 1GHz.
    Last edited by 4wheels; 06/26/2010 at 01:44 PM.
    I just tried it now an the icons are all normal now. Are you guys going to visit me now?

weird... No restart of phone done. That's for the responses and this was a pre+ on verizon.
    i think my problems might be because i dont have the latest alpha govnah, and i cant seem to find the test feeds for govnah.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i think my problems might be because i dont have the latest alpha govnah, and i cant seem to find the test feeds for govnah.
    quick question for u, why do u need govnah if this kernel does 500/1000?
    Quote Originally Posted by cakbep View Post
    this is purely speculatory at this point, but if everyone that's having instances of lock up is on an original Pre, it could be that compcache is doing more harm than good, or there's a delay in accessing the swap.
    I have a Sprint Pre. I've been using compcache kernels for months (February maybe) without issue (other than finding out mine is a CPU that doen't like 125MHz). The issue can almost certainly not be compcache. I'd say start oooking at those who are running <500MHz. Are those the people with issues?

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    quick question for u, why do u need govnah if this kernel does 500/1000?
    for the f104 kernel.. wrong thread ooppps
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I am running 1.2GHz right now.
    MAN...you got some serious WEBOS!!!
    Where the heck is all the parking for those fairly large buildings?!? (seen from Satellite view on the computer)

M.
    So as promised here are my test results for using the kernel today.

I ran two separate test. One test had compcache disabled and the other had it enabled(24mb). I hope these results are useful to someone lol. Also each test was performed at different times of day. So the test were not run back to back. Also the phone was restarted between test just to be refreshed. As a side note I have been using the F105 kernel for about 48 hours now without any crashes and no known problems. Enjoy.

Sprint Palm Pre - Original from release date

Test 1:
    Compcache disabled
    Wifi enabled and connected to local router
    Gps and bluetooth disabled
    gps auto enabled with gmaps via patch

1 hour with no use and screen off battery drain was 3.79%

App load times: (hand timed using ipod touch stop watch also stopped when app was fully loaded)
    email: 1.4 secs
    gmap: 10.4 secs
    the weather channel: 1.4 secs
    facebook: 3.9 secs
    camera: 2.9 secs
    Temperature after running app loading: 32c

Opening as many apps as possible without closing (ended test when pre became unusably slow)
    Initial battery charge: 75%
    Initial cpu Temp: 32c
    Number of apps opened: 43
    govnah mem 230
    govnah swap 127
    Ending battery: 62%
    Ending Temp: 39c
    Battery Drain per hr: 28.48
    Total time it took to run test 26 mins 22 secs

Test 2:
    Compcache enabled 24 mb
    Wifi enabled and connected to local router
    Gps and bluetooth disabled
    gps auto enabled with gmaps via patch

1 hour with no use and screen off battery drain was 3.84%

App load times: (hand timed using ipod touch stop watch also stopped when app was fully loaded)
    email: 1.6 secs
    gmap: 6.7 secs
    the weather channel: 2.2 secs
    facebook: 4 secs
    camera: 2.7 secs
    Temperature after running app loading: 39c

Opening as many apps as possible without closing (ended test when pre became unusably slow)
    Initial battery charge: 55%
    Initial cpu Temp: 28c
    Number of apps opened: 48
    govnah mem 234
    govnah swap 125
    Ending battery: 42%
    Ending Temp: 39c
    Battery Drain per hr: 27.10
    Total time it took to run test 28 mins 0 secs
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Where the heck is all the parking for those fairly large buildings?!? (seen from Satellite view on the computer)

M.
    secet places... Nah, indoor garages and a few parking lots behind buildings. Back to kernel posts!
    Nice test results. So is compcache doing any good? Aside from maps opening faster it looks like things ran slower with compcache. You do seem to have gotten a few more apps open with it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrymad View Post
    Nice test results. So is compcache doing any good? Aside from maps opening faster it looks like things ran slower with compcache. You do seem to have gotten a few more apps open with it on.
    Well from what i understand is compcache takes away some ram and compresses it so that you can basically store twice as much in it without having to go to the swap space which is much slower. As you open apps they fill up the rest of the ram and then once it hits swap space you get the really bad lag. You know when you open a card and it hangs or you goto select and icon and nothing happens right away. Compcache buys you a little extra time from hitting the swap space. its a little slower then main memory due to compressing and uncompressing but much faster then swap.

My pre without having any apps open is using 232mb of main memory (it only has 256mb total). So for opening facebook, email, twitter etc fills it up really quick and my phone would lag much sooner. So for me compcache helps. But once you start opening 40+ apps your phone is going to slow down .

I would say the Pre plus probably doesn't need to use compcache at all. It has 512 mb of ram and can already easily handle 50+ applications.

Prior to using the kernel and compcache my pre could barely handle 20 apps open at a time. So either way its a bonus.
    Last edited by theXfactor2011; 06/26/2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: included a comparison to before kernel update
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    Original Pre = Compcache enabled
    Pre Plus = Compcache disabled

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.