Page 15 of 73 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    The next user that asks how and where to get F105 I will pull the kernel.

Especially in a PM.
    Why wait? I think you should shut the door to anyone who hasn't already figured out how to get it. When it's ready, it'll be accessible in the stable release of UK, then they can spam that thread.
    Hey hey now, lets not jump the gun. I know how to get it and i plan to but i just didnt want to right out of the gate. We can just not justify a dumb question with a response and continue to let it be available to the people that know how to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by cakbep View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to be romantically involved with a kernel, but I think I might make an honest woman out of the Thud. This is absolutely fantastic, unixpsycho.

Current f105 observations (which are ongoing) relative to UK -43, on a Pre Plus running 1.4.1.1:

Idle CPU Temp: 31C vs. 38C
    CPU Temp after 2 minutes of H.264 video at 480x320: 40C vs. 45C
    Battery Drain after 3 hours (stationary, tested twice on each kernel): ~2.5%/hr vs. ~4%/hr

Before a throng of non-testers start asking for installation instructions again, bear in mind that my observations taken alone don't mean anything. Only after several observations under the (more or less) same conditions should anyone start drawing inferences about performance on their device.
    Thank you for the input and data collection. This is exactly what is needed.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Hey hey now, lets not jump the gun. I know how to get it and i plan to but i just didnt want to right out of the gate. We can just not justify a dumb question with a response and continue to let it be available to the people that know how to read.
    seeing as he is the developer, im pretty sure he can do what he wants with it
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reese917 View Post
    Here are some initial reactions.
    F105, govnah 0.4.11

As far as scaling down when charging goes, it only scales the speed when the screen is cycled completely off/on. For example, if I am up and running at 1005 with screen on and then plug in the wall charger, no speed change occurs. Therefore, if I keep the screen on and plug in I can continue using at 1005 while charging. If I let the screen go off and then turn back on, it stays at 500 like it should. Works the same vise-versa, if I am charging and at 500 with the screen on and unplug the charger, it does not go back up to 1005 until the screen is cycled.

As far as the touchstone goes, it does not seem to care that it is on the touchstone and just thinks the screen is on so it stays at 1005 (or whatever max freq is set to) whenever on the TS.

Not at all a deal killer at all for me, I just had to figure out exactly how the charge-scaling worked since I stream Pandora while on the TS all day at work and at 1005 it got hot quick.

Great so far, this is all I have for now as I just installed it, thanks Marco and Rod for all of your great work!

-Reese
    +1. I thought I broke something, but it appears like I'm not the only one experiencing this behavior. Not a big deal for me either as I'm constantly watching the temp, but maybe a warning for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    As long as its GPL.
  7.    #287  
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregister View Post
    As long as its GPL.
    And that's why there is nothing stopping anyone from building this kernel themselves. Source code is freely available.

I have a very short fuse for people that dont read. I am not expecting everyone to read through 20-40 pages of stuff... but at least scan through it for good tidbits... and at least read the 1st post!

If you all think *i* am bad, go visit the XDA site which i have been frequenting for years.... you will get flamed and then put on a stake to have stones thrown at you.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I noticed that once it freezes or studders, turn the lcd scren OFF then back on. (perhaps to relieve compache)?

no sure, but that works.

but yes- this kernal does studder a bit more than F104 (not too much, but noticeable)
    When you turn the screen off, webOS does a *full* garbage collection which can sometimes take seconds to complete.

No relationship to compcache.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When you turn the screen off, webOS does a *full* garbage collection which can sometimes take seconds to complete.

No relationship to compcache.

-- Rod
    So what is the difference between this and JStop?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    So what is the difference between this and JStop?
    JStop is on demand and autoscheduled, the other is done by Luna when certain triggers(like LCD off) are tripped, and also on a less frequent schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    JStop is on demand and autoscheduled, the other is done by Luna when certain triggers(like LCD off) are tripped, and also on a less frequent schedule.
    So do they interfere with each other?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    So do they interfere with each other?
    No.

-- Rod
    glad i didnt have to ask where to find f105 very noticeable speed increase, for better or worse, its off to the races
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    have the f102 and f104 kernals been made ota safe?
    Any kernel that you install from Preware using a feed hosted at ipkg.preware.org is designed to be OTA safe.

Any kernel which comes from elsewhere is not.

All of Marco's kernels (well, excluding the ones that were incorrectly packaged and released by another person against Marco's wishes) are available in Preware via the public or alpha testing feeds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi UnixPsycho, rwhitby and all of the rest of you testers!

I've been overclocked since the first couple of .sh scripts. tried uberkernel it works great.. tried F104 it was simply awesome. F105 i am feeling indifferent as of right now. Here's a brief experience i have had. (long time lurking first time posting about OC)

Original .sh & .ipk: Fast as hell but because it didnt screenstate for me often times it would run hot while on the TS. (i exclusively use TS for my charging needs at home and in the car)

Uberkernel: I played with this for only a couple days because frankly I've been using the ipk package for a long time and didnt realize about uberkernel until maybe 10days ago? it was great for me because I was still able to get the 800mhz while using it and it lowered down to 500mhz which saved a ton of battery. I didnt run battery test with it but i assumed that while idle I avged around 2-3% dphr. still getting TMC errors with UK but much less then the stock userspace.

F104: Found out about this and installed it about 1 week ago. been playing with battery monitor and nailed down an avg of 1.5-2% dphr. found that this ran much cooler then UK for me. in the week that I used it The temp warning came up maybe a total of 5times each time it was on the TS either while being on the phone with bluetooth or using GPS.

i installed F105 last night and while so far I have had zero temp warnings.. i've hardly had a chance to really play with it. but I have noticed that my battery drain is around 8.5%!!!! but then again i've been getting more people texting me today then avg.. so take that info with a grain of salt. I'll continue to monitor the battery for a couple more days to see how it goes. Overall speed was great! I've tested using Sunspider and @500mhz my time was around 22000ms where at 1ghz I came in around 11000ms! I will try out with 800mhz this soon

Thanks Unixpsycho and rwhitby for letting me hang on to my pre and not jump to the snapdragon bandwagon!

- using my original Launch day Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    Hi UnixPsycho, rwhitby and all of the rest of you testers!

I've been overclocked since the first couple of .sh scripts. tried uberkernel it works great.. tried F104 it was simply awesome. F105 i am feeling indifferent as of right now. Here's a brief experience i have had. (long time lurking first time posting about OC)

Original .sh & .ipk: Fast as hell but because it didnt screenstate for me often times it would run hot while on the TS. (i exclusively use TS for my charging needs at home and in the car)

Uberkernel: I played with this for only a couple days because frankly I've been using the ipk package for a long time and didnt realize about uberkernel until maybe 10days ago? it was great for me because I was still able to get the 800mhz while using it and it lowered down to 500mhz which saved a ton of battery. I didnt run battery test with it but i assumed that while idle I avged around 2-3% dphr. still getting TMC errors with UK but much less then the stock userspace.

F104: Found out about this and installed it about 1 week ago. been playing with battery monitor and nailed down an avg of 1.5-2% dphr. found that this ran much cooler then UK for me. in the week that I used it The temp warning came up maybe a total of 5times each time it was on the TS either while being on the phone with bluetooth or using GPS.

i installed F105 last night and while so far I have had zero temp warnings.. i've hardly had a chance to really play with it. but I have noticed that my battery drain is around 8.5%!!!! but then again i've been getting more people texting me today then avg.. so take that info with a grain of salt. I'll continue to monitor the battery for a couple more days to see how it goes. Overall speed was great! I've tested using Sunspider and @500mhz my time was around 22000ms where at 1ghz I came in around 11000ms! I will try out with 800mhz this soon

Thanks Unixpsycho and rwhitby for letting me hang on to my pre and not jump to the snapdragon bandwagon!

- using my original Launch day Sprint Pre
    Did you have Wi-Fi,3G, or GPS on when you went through these tests? I've been getting around 8dphr on F104A Starfighter and around 11 dphr using F105 Thunderchief.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    the person who wrote the post about just pulling it anyway was not the developer. Of course the developer can do what he wants and if people are bothering him with dumb questions of course he should. Simma down nah
    For those who have installed the newest kernel, so far how much different is it than the current uber-kernel in preware? Is it definitely worth the upgrade?
    ran the fying logo test and got up to 22 fps with 36 images in landscape mode. Cpu temps went high so only ran test a few seconds at a time... Got up to 51C, but cooled after swaping to a different card.
    Some images were corrupt...
    the
    Flying Images
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I was using the F104 Kernel which ran very smooth aside from the occasional screen not coming on. I'm not sure if this issue is caused by the Kernel or not, but it seems it only happens when custom kernels are installed. I know that there were cases with earlier kernels in which there was a small delay before the screen lit, but this is no the case in my experiences. I'll hit the power button, or open the slider and the screen will remain black. I can dial a phone number with the keyboard and press enter and sure enough it'll dial and can talk on the phone, but the screen will remain dark until i do a battery pull. This happens very sporadically. Or it may not be sporadic and I just may not know what I did to trigger it. Aside from that, no other issues with F104.

With F105 I'm getting some strange results. When I reboot the phone, it doesnt default to 500/1005. Sometimes it boots to 500, sometimes to 720, and sometimes to 800. In the pictures attached, I shut the phone down and restarted it. It booted to 500/800 showing the current frequency at 720 (pics 1 & 2). So I changed the settings to min 500 max 1005 with compcache memlimit at 24mb (pics 3 & 4). I have tried disabling compcache and reenabling it and it still produces strange results. It seems as though it takes a few minutes for the 1ghz setting to kick in after changing the settings. Also my app catalog flickers. This was an issue with a previous kernel, wasn't sure if it was the same with this one. When it does finally jump up to 1ghz its awesome (aside from app catalog flicker).

Thanks Guys
    Attached Images Attached Images