Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Except this time I did not have Battery Monitor (at 15 sec interval) and/or Govnah (at 1 s inteval) running.
    Leaving Govnah open at 1 second interval will suck your battery dry.

Each second it is sending 6 dbus requests to the govnah service, each of which may start a number of shell commands, the results are returned over dbus to the app, and then the app redraws the graphs on the screen.

So at least 6 different Linux processes are woken up - not good for battery life.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd get 50 million people saying "Govnah is not updating the graphs anymore, it's broken", I'd change the default polling frequency to at least 15 secs.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    So I will be testing this again after all. After reading all the other user's comments, I figured there had to be something wrong with mine some where along the line. So I uninstalled all kernels. Reinstalled a recovery kernel, and then tried this F105 Kernel again. I charged my battery to 100% before installing it, so far I seem to be losing around 1-1.5 % per hour, I need to get an app to check that out.

My temps are also much, much cooler. Currently it is idling at 24 C, that is considerably low in my experience with the stock kernel. When I start to use it, it easily jumps up in the 30s, but it has barely touched 40 C so far in the past three hours.

I will give this a run for the next couple of days and report back with an in depth break down of my experience.

Quick edit, my last post I had issues with video, it would reach 50+ C. So far this time around it has peaked at 39 C five minutes in the video, nice!

Awesome work guys!
    Last edited by squeezy; 06/24/2010 at 12:51 AM.
    im keep getting an error while trying to install what should i do
    I would remove any kernel that may be installed, check via preware. If none, install the Pre/Pre+ recovery kernel, ad then try installing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    I am running some perfomance tests running as many apps as I can. I have tried this with several alpha releases of UK and am currently using thunderchief (obviously). With UK running at 800mhz and with 24mb compcache, I would be able to run 34 apps at most before the phone became unresponsive. Right now I am running F105, I have 41 apps open (pretty much every kind of app except 3d games); my temp is at 42C and my memory is at 234/127...and the phone is still very responsive. I am going to try to push it further...47 apps, still good...50! phone slightly sluggish but memory at 234/127 still, temp 48C...app 52 was wikiHow, phone really slowing down...53: foursqure, phone crawling now, screen more or less unresponsive. I'd like to get back to the govnah card, but cant.

Edit: I'll run battery life tests in the next couple of days of normal usage.
    in a pre or pre plus?
    Last edited by jobito8; 06/24/2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Well, since we have half the people in this thread saying that F105 has dramatically increased their battery life, and the other half saying that it has dramatically reduced their battery life (and both groups pointing the finger at the kernel as being the cause), you tell me whether we can consider this to be an effective alpha test of the F105 kernel (which is the same piece of code delivered to both groups of people).

Nothing gets into UberKernel in the public feed until is has reliable, repeatable results from effective alpha testing by a large number of people.

So, if you want > 800MHz speeds to get into UberKernel, then the alpha testers here in this thread need to do a much better job of performing controlled experiments to prove or disprove the stability and efficacy of the chosen voltage and DLL settings in the F105 kernel for OPPs greater than 800MHz.

-- Rod
    thanks Rod, I will for sure do some additional testing along guidelines that are specified as well. I have experience with all of the kernels that have been released through preware, and of course the first few that were installed by script. From what I had experienced, the F105 was by far, IMO, the best except for one thing, it was either cranked to the max, or at 500 when not in use.. I'm sure most everyone would like to be able to scale up to 1g or higher but still be able to scale to 500/600 screenstate and 500/800 screenstate, I think that would be the best set of options.

Also, the F105 ran cooler than what I expected it would, I thought it would be frying, but it was no hotter than UK.

My Battery life was improved with the F105.

I will be sure to post all of my testing results that are relevant to the kernel testing.

(I currently am running UK-50 & govnah-4.10, I removed the F105 to compare again and test downgrading, needed to Dr, automatically forced)

I will reinstall the F105 for testing on the next update.

SJ
    Well, since we have half the people in this thread saying that F105 has dramatically increased their battery life, and the other half saying that it has dramatically reduced their battery life (and both groups pointing the finger at the kernel as being the cause), you tell me whether we can consider this to be an effective alpha test of the F105 kernel (which is the same piece of code delivered to both groups of people).

Nothing gets into UberKernel in the public feed until is has reliable, repeatable results from effective alpha testing by a large number of people.

So, if you want > 800MHz speeds to get into UberKernel, then the alpha testers here in this thread need to do a much better job of performing controlled experiments to prove or disprove the stability and efficacy of the chosen voltage and DLL settings in the F105 kernel for OPPs greater than 800MHz.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    thanks Rod, I will for sure do some additional testing along guidelines that are specified as well. I have experience with all of the kernels that have been released through preware, and of course the first few that were installed by script. From what I had experienced, the F105 was by far, IMO, the best except for one thing, it was either cranked to the max, or at 500 when not in use.. I'm sure most everyone would like to be able to scale up to 1g or higher but still be able to scale to 500/600 screenstate and 500/800 screenstate, I think that would be the best set of options.

Also, the F105 ran cooler than what I expected it would, I thought it would be frying, but it was no hotter than UK.

My Battery life was improved with the F105.

I will be sure to post all of my testing results that are relevant to the kernel testing.

(I currently am running UK-50 & govnah-4.10, I removed the F105 to compare again and test downgrading, needed to Dr, automatically forced)

I will reinstall the F105 for testing on the next update.

I would love to see 1GHz or higher make it to UberKernel to accompany the other govenors there for sure!

SJ
    Alright. Does anyone else have digloo and f105 kernel installed?
    Does F105 stop digloo from functioning properly?
    I do not.

Newsroom is crazy fast now. The app's interface is very smooth. I also like how fast the browser is now. Wow, this kernel feels much better then UK, not sure why...maybe the visit to the doctor before install helped.

Using Govnah 0.4.11 says Memory is 392 / 0 MB.
    This is ridiculous. Awesome job Unixpsycho. I do like my phone and am sticking to your F104 for now......LOL

I will give this patch a month or two to see if anyone burns their fingers off as their Pres melt the slider and the keyboard together into one peice.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Here are some initial reactions.
    F105, govnah 0.4.11

As far as scaling down when charging goes, it only scales the speed when the screen is cycled completely off/on. For example, if I am up and running at 1005 with screen on and then plug in the wall charger, no speed change occurs. Therefore, if I keep the screen on and plug in I can continue using at 1005 while charging. If I let the screen go off and then turn back on, it stays at 500 like it should. Works the same vise-versa, if I am charging and at 500 with the screen on and unplug the charger, it does not go back up to 1005 until the screen is cycled.

As far as the touchstone goes, it does not seem to care that it is on the touchstone and just thinks the screen is on so it stays at 1005 (or whatever max freq is set to) whenever on the TS.

Not at all a deal killer at all for me, I just had to figure out exactly how the charge-scaling worked since I stream Pandora while on the TS all day at work and at 1005 it got hot quick.

Great so far, this is all I have for now as I just installed it, thanks Marco and Rod for all of your great work!

-Reese
    Temps have been good. No huge increases with heat. This is mainly heavy web browsing. I haven't played any games.

I do get freezes every once in a while, but it clears itself up in 5 to 10 seconds. I believe this is more related to the Pre not having enough RAM.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I noticed that once it freezes or studders, turn the lcd scren OFF then back on. (perhaps to relieve compache)?

no sure, but that works.

but yes- this kernal does studder a bit more than F104 (not too much, but noticeable)
    Quote Originally Posted by jobito8 View Post
    in a pre or pre plus?
    Sprint Pre believe it or not...it may have been a fluke, but i tried to open a variety of apps (some with location services, photo apps, etc). I didnt stream or run any 3d games, but I also didnt just open a bunch of browser windows. My phone ended up requiring a sym+orange+r because the only thing it would respond to was going from card view to app view.

I am testing regular usage right now for battery life. In a few days I will get back to some performance tests.
    It does seem like the polarization of battery results people have been getting would be expected for overclocking this high. One group of people may be playing with their phone alot and seeing what this thing can do; in my performance tests I was burning through battery at an incredible rate, but I never use my phone like that. The group of people who are actually using the phone like they normally would may be seeing the same battery life or slightly better because tasks are finishing quicker with the higher clock speeds and the phone spends more time idling.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Is there any better way to monitor CPU temp other than opening govnah? This is how everyone else is doing it... right?

-Reese
    Quote Originally Posted by princechrm1 View Post
    im keep getting an error while trying to install what should i do
    give up?
    Do I have to doctor pre anyway? I had F104 installed before, so I uninstalled it, reinstalled recovery pre kernel (original) and shut down the phone. Now can I install F105 without doctoring my phone? Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Alright. Does anyone else have digloo and f105 kernel installed?
    Does F105 stop digloo from functioning properly?
    I've been having issues with Digloo too. I've been using UK for a while, but this Digloo issue just started today. When I tap on an article on the main page, I get an error..
    no need to doctor, you are fine coming from 104