Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Nice I got it..thanks
    Been playing with this kernel for the past few days after being a UK user for a while.
    I just recently got my pre replaced (on #7 now) so I had a clean testbed to try from.

Uninstalled UK and put on Thunderchief and I've had two unusual experiences that I have NOT yet been able to reproduce since they both happened within the past two days:

1) 720Mhz glitch - Had it running fine at 1Ghz according to Govnah, temps were fine as well (mid-high 30s) , rebooted the phone after installing a patch from Preware and Govnah reported the 500/800 profile was running and it was stuck at 720Mhz. I could not get the profile, governer OR the speed to change. Did a battery pull and after reboot everything is back to normal. I've installed other patches since and it's been fine every time. Not sure why but if it happens again, I'll keep tabs and see if I can reproduce my actions.

2) Last night my battery was low (16%) so I plugged it into my PC through USB while I was doing some work. Did a few new patches (virtual keyboard) at the same time. When I finally went to bed, my battery was at 48%. This morning when I got up, battery was at 10% but still indicated it was charging. No apps were running at the time except one IM window. I have no other info at this point but will attempt the same type of scenerio tonight to see if I can reproduce it. I've never had that issue with stock or any other kernel (UK or F102/4)

Beyond those two oddities, this kernel has been fantastic.

- Very stable so far. No TMC as of yet (I dont keep a lot of stuff open all at once, but did get the error occasionally when I was stock kernel). Temps have stayed very reasonable, fluctuating between 32 and 38 in most cases.

- Noticeably faster than 800Mhz

- Appears to be about the same battery drain (5%/hr give or take) for light-moderate use: IM/SMS off and on all day, Pandora usage while driving (maybe an hour total for my commuting), a few phonecalls and some quick web browsing.

Very nice work all together, just gives me more reason to be pleased with my Pre!

Still watching it since it's pretty fresh on my phone, but if anything else pops up, I'll post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    I hear you, but after adding the feeds, the kernel is still not shown on preware on my phone. :^( Let me do some more research, I'm sure this is user error.
    Hint: it's not in the normal webos-internals testing feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    You should uninstall this kernel.
    Noooooooooooooooooo.

I'll be good. I promise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    Hint: it's not in the normal webos-internals testing feed.
    Thanks. I got it, just needed to plow through it, been a long day at work. :^) Hope I help help with the development of this.
    Woohoo installing now.
    Been running this kernel for a couple of days. As stated, it is definitely a bit snappier then F102 and overall runs very well. Had a couple instances opening the slider the phone would not immediately come on, but eventually got to the launcher without any crashes.

However you need to watch your temps, if not careful it's going to do bad things to your phone..

Any chance of developing a cpu limiter/governor that would cut the speed automagically when the cpu reaches a defined temperature? Would go a long way to keeping the phone at its 'best performance' without having to worry about the cpu burning your hand

Great work and keep it up!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Odd. the freq is fixed at a min 500Mhz. its next to impossible to scale to 125.

i'll have to play with the TS for a while.
    It turned out that my phone doesn't like this kernel with Govnah intsalled. After that strange incident and some other strange behavior (couldn't change speeds even by echoing commands to the files, but was stuck at wrong speeds), I uninstalled Govnah and it's working flawlessly. I am noticing the expected increased battery drain and some heat, but I still tend to stay under 40 degrees C. No crashes or anything else untoward on my phone.
  9.    #189  
    For those that are complaining about 720Mhz being stuck:

There is no 800MHz slot. So if you had a govnah profile of X/800 and boot this kernel it will choose 720 since it's the closest.

So reset the sticky govnah profile for 500/1005 and all will be fine. I will be removing the other slots in the next update.
    Live free or DIE!
    everythings perfect!!!!!! Just got up to 45C on the mobile hotspot(sprint pre). Guess iam expecting to much. But overall very satisfied!! Thanx devs!! A++++
    I have F105 and everything is running smooth and fast. One question though, Do I set Compcache enabled to true or false?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Working reasonably well for me. Battery drain about 10%/hr, which is a bit faster than with UK, but I can charge during the day, so no problem.
    Did get up to 42 degrees on the Touchstone, but no hotter. Weirdly, Jason's temperature alarm patch did go off twice today, but the battery temp was reading 30-32 degrees both times. I hadn't had that happen with any previous kernels.

I had to pull the battery once - When I pulled it off the Touchstone at one point, it ran REALLY slowly and wasn't recovering, so I had to pull the battery and start over. Has been perfect since then. Having said that, I had to do that every few days when running UK anyway, so not a big deal so far.
    (Prior to installing F105, I had doctored, so I was starting clean)

Thanks again Unixpsycho
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    just installed f105 about an hour ago and have been trying it out. i was previously using the uk kernel oc'd to 800MHz

1. love it so far, with all the other kernels i tried there was a bit of choppiness in some apps (camera & messaging mostly) but i have yet to notice any lag or choppiness with this one. actually there is a small bit of choppiness i noticed when browsing the precentral site but only in landscape mode, it wasnt too noticeable but it was there, other than that i havent noticed anything bad.

2. my temp has been pretty steady between 38-42 even when dl'ing apps through preware. and in fact the battery temp even felt cooler after installing the kernel. oh and temp while charging was 38-39 (wall charger)

3. all apps seem to load about twice as fast now, usually between 1 to 2 seconds at the most. websites load faster as well, about twice as fast as well.

4. haven't been able to test the battery life bc my battery was already kinda low so i had to charge it...but i did notice that when charging the speed dropped to 500 MHz...i'm using the wall charger, not a touchstone, and i wasn't able to raise the speed while charging. i know u had talked about that happening on a touchstone but didn't see anything about the wall charger...not sure if i missed that somewhere.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Not sure if anyone has had this quirk happen to them. I have been running F105 for a couple days now with no issues, and today I watched a World Cup game in a meeting until my battery completely dies. I put it on a Touchstone when I got back to my desk. It charges back up and a bit later I happened to open Govnah, and it appears to be running at 1GHz even though it's on the TS. It's been a little warm (42 degrees), but I have only checked a few text messages and Facebook since it's been charging. I assume this might be just a glitch with the phone booting up on the TS, but I figured I'd put it out there so someone doesn't do the same thing and open some 3D games and then wonder why the phone stops responding.
  15.    #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    just installed f105 about an hour ago and have been trying it out. i was previously using the uk kernel oc'd to 800MHz

1. love it so far, with all the other kernels i tried there was a bit of choppiness in some apps (camera & messaging mostly) but i have yet to notice any lag or choppiness with this one. actually there is a small bit of choppiness i noticed when browsing the precentral site but only in landscape mode, it wasnt too noticeable but it was there, other than that i havent noticed anything bad.

2. my temp has been pretty steady between 38-42 even when dl'ing apps through preware. and in fact the battery temp even felt cooler after installing the kernel. oh and temp while charging was 38-39 (wall charger)

3. all apps seem to load about twice as fast now, usually between 1 to 2 seconds at the most. websites load faster as well, about twice as fast as well.

4. haven't been able to test the battery life bc my battery was already kinda low so i had to charge it...but i did notice that when charging the speed dropped to 500 MHz...i'm using the wall charger, not a touchstone, and i wasn't able to raise the speed while charging. i know u had talked about that happening on a touchstone but didn't see anything about the wall charger...not sure if i missed that somewhere.
    Wall charging is mentioned in the 1st post.
    Live free or DIE!
    For those that are complaining about 720Mhz being stuck:

There is no 800MHz slot. So if you had a govnah profile of X/800 and boot this kernel it will choose 720 since it's the closest.

So reset the sticky govnah profile for 500/1005 and all will be fine. I will be removing the other slots in the next update.
    I appreciate you clearing this up. I am reinstalling now and will remove all other stickies except for 500/1005. Great work on this kernal!!
    I reinstalled everything and govnah still shows screenstate min - 125 and max - 1005. I have to physically go into govnah and change it to 500 and the renable compache. But, its funny, when the Pre boots up, it doesnt seem like its running at 125mhz, it feels like its running at 500mhz, but govnah isnt acknowledging that fact. Trust me, if the Pre was running at 125, i would know because it will be annoyingly sluggish. But i still go in there to change it to 500 just to make sure. FWIW, im running the newest version of govnah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I reinstalled everything and govnah still shows screenstate min - 125 and max - 1005. I have to physically go into govnah and change it to 500 and the renable compache. But, its funny, when the Pre boots up, it doesnt seem like its running at 125mhz, it feels like its running at 500mhz, but govnah isnt acknowledging that fact. Trust me, if the Pre was running at 125, i would know because it will be annoyingly sluggish. But i still go in there to change it to 500 just to make sure. FWIW, im running the newest version of govnah.
    I installed the kernel and govnah today and saw the 125 min freq screen state. I have v0.4.2...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    I installed the kernel and govnah today and saw the 125 min freq screen state. I have v0.4.2...
    as stated in a previous post, this is normal.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2519653
    Last edited by Nightburn; 06/23/2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added link to post
    any chance this kernel affects data connection?