Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    A unique file extension using the existing filepicker API would work fine. This file could be a standard JSON with information on where the widget is, the name, widget-specific configuration etc...

For example, .wcf (widget config file)

/media/internal/widgets/clock/clock.wcf
    /media/internal/widgets/weather/weather.wcf

Using FilePicker API to select files of extension wcf would allow the use of already existing and Palm-supported API to provide the user a way of choosing an installed widget.

PS: I really think a new name should be used as Palm already uses "widget" in a different manner than is intended here
    Ah, didn't think of that.

Also, I wouldn't call it widget for obvious reasons, and the community as a whole would be the ones coming up with the name for it. It would be an AGPLv3 Open Source app maintained by the community, of course, after the initial framework creation.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  2.    #22  
    So, is there a next step to the process of building a framework? What should be done and how can I help?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Just my two-bits. But file access isn't even needed. Any and all graphics for widgets should be vector graphics so they can be easily rendered any size(even more important with tablets on the horizon) which can just be transmitted as a string via AJAX, stored in an HTML5 database and rendered on a canvas.

IMHO, filesystem access is highly overrated. Databases provide a much richer and more powerful storage system. Not to mention that they're actually faster at accessing complex data patterns and comparable when accessing simple ones.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  4.    #24  
    I wanted to bump this, it seemed to have some real good steam but then died. After playing with android for a few hours and seeing the latest active card 2 I really think an open widget framework would add a lot of value, especially given the new touch stone mode thing, set the pre on the TS and a bank of widgets fires up.

What would it take to get some energy under this? Maybe the next hackathon could take this on?

I am asking for a UI independent widget framework that developers could add widgets to. Then let people make UIs to host it as they see fit to innovate.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  5.    #25  
    Silence? Can I speculate that no one talks of this because it is already in 2.0 and NDAs are keeping people quiet?

Or is that no body really cares about glancable information.
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    Silence? Can I speculate that no one talks of this because it is already in 2.0 and NDAs are keeping people quiet?

Or is that no body really cares about glancable information.
    Speculate away. Of course it could just be that this isn't that important to some people and they have other apps in development, etc.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12