Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AurelioB
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I created a very simple eSpeak service for personal projects, but it might prove useful for others so here it is.
    As it is used as any other service, it could be used to write patches or apps to announce caller ID, read text messages, announce song title (would be useful while driving) or any other crazy thing you might think about.

My linux install isnīt working, so I havenīt been able to build eSpeak by myself. Meanwhile, you'll need to install the eSpeak package that comes with Navit:
    www hp-jochmann.de/Download.nsf/Download?OpenAgent&doc=37B8A6BE782A7E04C1257702006A6DCD
    Note that Navit isnīt needed, only the eSpeak package that comes with it.

Here is an example of how to call the service from your app:

Code:
    	var Obj = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.kauna.espeakservice',
    	{
       		method: 'readText',
       		parameters:
       		{
    			text: "Hello World"
       		}
    	});
    Currently there is just one method, but I'll include options to select different voices and read text from files.

I've tested it on my Pre and found no problems, but take in mind that this is in no way final and that updates will eventually come.

So here is the package and source:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Can it read Chinese words?
    This sounds very promising and useful. I look forward to a homebrew, in the near future.
    BUMP

What else happened with this??
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Has anyone looked at making this as a standalone app ... To read selected text... Its very useful... There are similar apps On droid and iPhone that I use while commuting, I would pay for this. Especially if integrated into an ereader.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I want speech to text.... really bad
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    has this gone anywhere??
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Not until now. The webOS service is still missing, so it is only used by Navit.

HaPe

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities