1.    #1  
    Just really trying to get some dialogue going on this to see what may be possible as I'm playing around with my Brother P-Touch 1230 USB Label Printer.

Out of the box, it seems the USB port can be used to make the Pre a USB drive, allow networking/tethering, and 2-way comm. with a PC... what else can it be utilized for?

Supporting a flash drive or card reader? Printing (labels)? Automotive DLC/CanBUS/ODBII diagnostics? Just throwing thoughts out there.
    OTB the USB port is locked to client mode. That means it is a peripheral device and can't be used to operate other peripherals - i.e. printers. The port itself, however is just a generic USB port, so getting it to run in host mode so you can hook up printers and what not is just a matter of putting the right kernel/modules/software on your phone.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  3.    #3  
    There's the words I was looking for... Client and Host Modes.

I suspect I could get it to run under a command line with the available webOS Internals tools... any thoughts on webOS supporting a host mode?
    I was able to use my HP Photo Printer and pull pictures off my Pre. I plugged my pre into the Pict-Bridge port and put it on USB Mode. The Printer detected the pictures and I was able to print some photos that were stored on the phone. Good Luck!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lildroopie View Post
    I was able to use my HP Photo Printer and pull pictures off my Pre. I plugged my pre into the Pict-Bridge port and put it on USB Mode. The Printer detected the pictures and I was able to print some photos that were stored on the phone. Good Luck!!!
    That's because the printer was the host.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, I believe the printerwas just reading the Pre like a flash drive... just like a PC would.

I want more!
    Hey,

when you enter "usb passthrough control" there are many option to use like Diag, GPS, HCO Control Port

I have just used Diag mode to connect it to QPST.

But been wondering what the other 2 option are for, can GPS let you connect de gps on the phone to the PC and use the PC software??
    I suspect I could get it to run under a command line with the available webOS Internals tools... any thoughts on webOS supporting a host mode?
    You'll need to rebuild the kernel with host mode support.
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    OTB the USB port is locked to client mode. That means it is a peripheral device and can't be used to operate other peripherals - i.e. printers. The port itself, however is just a generic USB port, so getting it to run in host mode so you can hook up printers and what not is just a matter of putting the right kernel/modules/software on your phone.
    Actually, our understanding is that some of the external circuitry required for host mode is not present on the Pre, so it's a hardware restriction, not a software restriction (yes, we've put all the right modules in place and verified that it doesn't work).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Chalk this up to a failure of imagination and a lack of technical knowledge on my own part...

What kinds of things could be done with the USB port if the external circuitry required for host mode was present on the Pre?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, our understanding is that some of the external circuitry required for host mode is not present on the Pre, so it's a hardware restriction, not a software restriction (yes, we've put all the right modules in place and verified that it doesn't work).

-- Rod
    Well, crap.
    Well, thanks for clearing that up... I'm gonna go cry now.