1.    #1  
    Spotted this app called Skobbler for iPhone and I wondered whether it could be ported over to WebOS.

Skobbler first totally free turn-by-turn navigation app for iPhone — Autoblog

I know we have our own 'Navit for Pre' being developed and it looks great but could this be another alternative?
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    Spotted this app called Skobbler for iPhone and I wondered whether it could be ported over to WebOS.

Skobbler first totally free turn-by-turn navigation app for iPhone — Autoblog

I know we have our own 'Navit for Pre' being developed and it looks great but could this be another alternative?
    You could always email them and ask them if they would be willing to put it using the webOS pdk. You can also remind them that the pdk hot apps contest is starting 1st July, so a chance for money. http://www.precentral.net/palm-annou...ram-pdk-apps-0
  3.    #3  
    Would be a hell of an incentive, interesting thought. Wouldn't hurt to try!!

Edit: OK that is done, sent a nice email, will see if it has an effect. Will update if I receive a reply!!
    Last edited by beastobadness; 06/09/2010 at 01:40 PM.
    awesome I've been wanting a turn by turn nav app.
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    Would be a hell of an incentive, interesting thought. Wouldn't hurt to try!!

Edit: OK that is done, sent a nice email, will see if it has an effect. Will update if I receive a reply!!
    Yes and I think they would have a really good chance of coming top in the contest because there are no independent navigators for webOS so far.
    It's also worth mentioning that the data they use (OpenStreetMap) is freely available to the public, if they don't want to develop a WebOS app it's quite possible someone else could build an OSM-based navigator app. Of course, OSM stuff could well navigate you right into a river, but free is free....
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have never had a problem with Sprints NAV app. It's been hyper accurate for me ....until yesterday when it sent me 2.5 miles south before going to my destination which was 1.5 miles north of my initial position.

this was the only time I ever experienced a problem in very heavy usage.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
    Of course, OSM stuff could well navigate you right into a river, but free is free....
    So same results as everything else on the market?
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    So same results as everything else on the market?
    Haha, dangerously true. I haven't played with AT&T Nav app (I just switched from a Nexus One, so the idea of paying for navigation is not pleasant to me), but I assume it's just as problematic as most of the others.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
    It's also worth mentioning that the data they use (OpenStreetMap) is freely available to the public, if they don't want to develop a WebOS app it's quite possible someone else could build an OSM-based navigator app. Of course, OSM stuff could well navigate you right into a river, but free is free....
    Just to mention there is a nav app in the tubes called navit for pre. And it is coming on leaps and bounds, and uses OSM data

http://m.forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/224609-navit-pre.html
    Last edited by beastobadness; 06/09/2010 at 06:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I have never had a problem with Sprints NAV app. It's been hyper accurate for me ....until yesterday when it sent me 2.5 miles south before going to my destination which was 1.5 miles north of my initial position.

this was the only time I ever experienced a problem in very heavy usage.
    But keep in mind that VZW and AT&T customers have to pay for their nav apps, and nobody else gets turn-by-turn apps from Navtel (or anyone else).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Would want this to happen. Any luck?
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
  13.    #13  
    Sorry to dig this post up from the depths. Just a quick update. Someone else already tried, but wouldn't you just guess the answer.
    Check it out - Support for Palm WebOS platform