1.    #1  
    Can anybody tell me how old you have to be to develop apps for the palm pre?
    I've been to the Official Palm site but i haven't tried registering.
    I'm asking this because i have an interest in developing apps for the pre.
    Im 15 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgo123 View Post
    Can anybody tell me how old you have to be to develop apps for the palm pre?
    I've been to the Official Palm site but i haven't tried registering.
    Im 15 years old.
    I don't think there is an age requirement, the only restriction you might have is access to a paypal account as I think they require you to be 18. Somebody should be able to shed more light on the situation and you could always ask palm what you need to develop.
    developer acct requires ssn/tax id and paypal. If you can't get those on your own talk to your parents. There are several developers here that are minors, so I don't think they require you be a certain age... In fact I recall one kid from germany getting told by a palm rep(mighta been here, but I think it was on the palm forums) to just get his parent's to help set up.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I don't think there is an age requirement, the only restriction you might have is access to a paypal account as I think they require you to be 18. Somebody should be able to shed more light on the situation and you could always ask palm what you need to develop.

Thanks... i didn't know about the paypal requirement...
    ill send an e-mail to palm to find out more info
    Dude. Check out Tumbly and HitzRadio. Connor Lacombe is the developer. He's 13 years old.
    Im 15 years old.

Dude. Check out Tumbly and HitzRadio. Connor Lacombe is the developer. He's 13 years old.

I am such a lame, underachiever!

* hangs head in shame *
    That kid who made Tumbly should definitely stick with learning how to write apps...

I taught myself HTML and Javascript when I was 12. I played around with it for a few years then found other things to be interested in lol. I wish I really stuck with it though... I could have been a pro WebOS app developer right now
    I'm actually 14 now but when I created my Palm Developer account I was 13. I got the Tax ID from my Dad and PayPal too.

Good Luck
    The developers for Keen Studios (Checkers app and Yo Dawg!) are in their teen years so it is definitely possible. Like mentioned before, the main thing is getting that tax ID.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Great post! Thank you for sharing.
    I think it's great that these "younguns" are developing apps. I was coding my own games in my early teens, but there was no way to easily distribute and sell apps. I'm glad to see these guys making some money while learning programming.
    Probably should be out of diapers, but at the rate we're going that won't be a requirement for long.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    There is a consideration that hasn't been mentioned.

If there are devs that are not 18+ that have apps in the catalog it may be moot ...at least until there is a legal conflict that tests the system.

But there are legal considerations due to the fact that by accepting certain terms you're entering into a contract [of sorts] with Palm.

Minors cannot enter contracts.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    There is a consideration that hasn't been mentioned.

If there are devs that are not 18+ that have apps in the catalog it may be moot ...at least until there is a legal conflict that tests the system.

But there are legal considerations due to the fact that by accepting certain terms you're entering into a contract [of sorts] with Palm.

Minors cannot enter contracts.
    No, not on their own. However, considering someone 18+ (typically parent) must set up the PayPal account (or a student acct for the minor), then the parents are basically waiving that limit and saying their kid can enter into the contract with the parents being liable.

I am 17 and I am working on a couple apps for webOS. Just graduated HS today too. I just wish webOS was around a couple years ago
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    no age requirement, just please don't make another fart app.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    No, not on their own. However, considering someone 18+ (typically parent) must set up the PayPal account (or a student acct for the minor), then the parents are basically waiving that limit and saying their kid can enter into the contract with the parents being liable.

I am 17 and I am working on a couple apps for webOS. Just graduated HS today too. I just wish webOS was around a couple years ago
    Certainly an agreement between one's parents and paypal does not validate an implied agreement between Palm and the child!

A parent could open a bank of america account for a child and be held responsible for overdrafts, but can the parent be held responsible for money the child deposits from drugs sales for example? [or from the proceeds of some other hypothetical violation of an agreement between the child and a third party]

However, like I said, this may all be moot, UNTIL someone chooses to test the system.

If that occurs, there will be people with 20+ years of education and multiple decades of experience with law debating both sides of the argument.

They would certainly have a more valid assessment of how all that would be interpreted, than I would.

BTW, congrats on your graduation.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 06/10/2010 at 03:47 AM.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!