Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Several WebOS Internals apps just got new versions published in the Homebrew catalog ('WebOS Internals Feed' in Preware).

These are apps meant to execute one time only and then they uninstall themselves. They are typically used to manage/diagnose any hiccups related to patches as a result of an OS update. So you usually don't need them unless something goes wrong after an OS update.

It's pretty sweet that the WebOS Internals team has thought of almost every possible exception scenario and has provided a simple way to recover.

In the past these types of app updates have been indicative of an impending WebOS update.

The apps just updated were:
    • Emergency File Verification
    • Emergency Migration Helper
    • Emergency Patch Installer
    • Emergency Patch Recovery
    • Emergency Reconstruction Utility
    • Emergency Service Enabler

Are you excited yet?
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    It brings PDK to the Pixi, that's a huge step in my book!
    Quote Originally Posted by zefyx View Post
    It brings PDK to the Pixi, that's a huge step in my book!
    1.4 - Late Feb
    1.4.1 - April 1st (one month)
    1.4.5 - Mid June (two half months)

Truthfully, 1.4.1 was just a bug fix for 1.4 and didn't implement any features. Considering that, it has been a 3-4 month period. If all we gain is PDK support for Pixi, then that is a pretty big letdown. I love my Pixi brethren as much as the next guy yet I just hope there is more to this update then we think.

As far as I've heard, it is nothing particularly interesting than what we have heard already so I'm not getting my hopes high at all.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    so really... what does the 1.4.5 update offers for the pre?
    Improved battery life... Didn't you know that?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Improved battery life... Didn't you know that?
    They always say that but yet my battery still go down 30% in 2 hours
    Being a Verizon Pre Plus owner, all I'm hoping for is a fix to my dumb gps...

Also, not sure if its just me, but I noticed some minor undocumented performance enhancements when I received the 1.4.1 update. Specifically, scrolling in apps and the web browser were noticeably smoother and more responsive. Also, flipping through images had less lag time. Having said that, I'm sure the next update will offer a number of subtle enhancements that aren't big enough to warrant an announcement.
    @dbd @csal80
    no i was being serious. we need speed improvements more than we do a new standard palm app or a modification to an existing one. well atleast at this point.
    I'm sure it'll be more than just Pixi PDK support, Palm is very good about mentioning the big things, then fixing a large variety of problems and adding small features.

Each update I've been through has been quite big, but only a few features necessarily pushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    1.4 - Late Feb
    1.4.1 - April 1st (one month)
    1.4.5 - Mid June (two half months)

Truthfully, 1.4.1 was just a bug fix for 1.4 and didn't implement any features. Considering that, it has been a 3-4 month period. If all we gain is PDK support for Pixi, then that is a pretty big letdown. I love my Pixi brethren as much as the next guy yet I just hope there is more to this update then we think.

As far as I've heard, it is nothing particularly interesting than what we have heard already so I'm not getting my hopes high at all.
    Agreed
    Speaking as someone who has worked for a software company for many years now, I am guessing that version 2.0 has been the primary focus for the last several months and only the most critical things are being "pushed back" to enhance version 1.X. I've been using WebOS since lauch day on Sprint and although it has come a long way since then, if their developers were working on just the single version stream, I would expect that we would be much further along than where we are at today (yes, I know Palm is smaller, but they are still larger than the company that I work for). So, to me, that means that they have at least another development stream for version 2.0 where we will see much more dramatic updates then these .1 udpates that we've been getting.

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that Palm might be waiting to make a larger announcement very shortly after the iPhone 4 goes on sale on June 24th. The iPhone hysteria should die back down to normal levels very shortly after that. That doesn't mean that version 2.0 will be released then, just some sort of announcement. We will likely see a nother minor update or two before we get to 2.0. We may even see some new hardware along with the 2.0 announcement. Just guessing though.
  11.    #31  
    I sure hope you are correct. The complete lack of updates for the most important apps (contacts, calendar, phone, camera, etc.) during the last year is surprising. I sure hope Palm realizes the "fat middle" of the smartphone customer base includes corporate workers.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12