1.    #1  
    Hello all! I am hoping to become an app developer, but I have some concerns.

First, without going into too much detail, I have some issues that have rendered me for the most part non-employable, so I have been searching for a way to become self-employed. When I got my Palm Pre Plus, I was so thrilled with it that I decided to study to become an app developer, despite no previous web design experience. I learned (X)HTML and CSS and am now working my way through JavaScript. I figured that if I can't make money developing webOS apps, I could try to fall back on web design, though there seems to be a glut of them out there.

Today I saw an article dated today on the following blog site: Mobile phone blog reviews & News, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, LG, Motorola. It says pretty explicitly that HP will not be making smartphones. Now, I'm not sure if this is based on a misunderstanding of the June 2nd statement from HP, or if new information has been released, but it has me worried. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I guess my next question is one of career advice. I'm not sure that native app development on the Pre can produce a self-sustaining income. Any opinions? If not, how difficult would it be to move to app development for Android or iPhone? Specifically, does Android require anything besides Java, and iPhone C++, and how difficult are those to pick up? Can app development for those be self-sustaining?

Finally, any thoughts on what I could do with knowledge of (X)HTML, CSS and JavaScript/jQuery besides marketing myself as a website creator?

Thanks!
    The editorial that you read is just a guess too, you will just have to wait and see like everyone else.
    That article is wrong. HP is in the phone business. Their challenge is to gain enough market share so that someone like you can make a living rather than moving your efforts to iPhone or Android.

You might want to check out Jason at Canuckware (he has his own category here. He is in college and has taught himself all of this stuff from scratch. And he is considered to be one of THE top webOS developers, and the most prolific. He did a twitter interview on that, and you might find other nuggets on his web site or by PM to him...
    article in NYT today (see thread http://forums.precentral.net/future-...t-article.html ) says HP has signed 40 app partners (including Google and Nickelodeon) for their new app store for web-enabled printers coming out this month. Although webos wasn't mentioned explicitly in this article probably because they won't own it until the merger is complete, you can read between the lines.
    Yeah, that's what I am reading between the lines too, with many more devices (tablets, printers and etc.) many more developers will be inclined to develop/port more apps to webOS
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Having the #10 app in the palm hot apps for paid apps, I don't think that developing for webOS only is really a way to make a living.

If HP starts releasing more webOS devices that might change, but its always good to diversify and have multiple areas of expertise. webOS has the advantage that if you know web development, you can pretty much code on webOS without having to learn anything new.

Java isn't hard to learn (plus knowing Java never hurts), C is trickier with memory handling and such.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    webos is a young platform now so I can see why development would not be lucrative. If HP can drive sales via small business penetration etc, it could look really different say, a year from now.