1.    #1  
    I would love to start developing for WebOS, but I have a few questions. I have some basic knowledge of HTML, but that's about it. I know that you have to have knowledge of HTML, Javascript, DOM, and CSS. My question is how much knowledge do you need of each language, and how long would it take me to learn what I don't already know?

For example do I use more Javascript then HTML, and do I have to know Advance Javascript programming?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
    Last edited by karothacker; 06/04/2010 at 11:49 PM.
    To clarify: Java is NOT the same as Javascript (Javascript is what's used for WebOS programming.) You certainly don't want to start out learning a language you won't use.

As far as how much time, that's purely subjective. How long did it take you to learn HTML? All depends on how willing you are to type code, how quickly you can pick up the abstract concepts, etc. As such, it would be impossible to answer such a question.

You will need to know a fair amount of Javascript. While HTML and CSS are used, to actually make an app do anything, you have to use Javascript. There are some very good resources, but very little WebOS specific tutorials (Although my tutorials and links in my signature will hopefully get you started.)
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    To clarify: Java is NOT the same as Javascript (Javascript is what's used for WebOS programming.) You certainly don't want to start out learning a language you won't use.

As far as how much time, that's purely subjective. How long did it take you to learn HTML? All depends on how willing you are to type code, how quickly you can pick up the abstract concepts, etc. As such, it would be impossible to answer such a question.

You will need to know a fair amount of Javascript. While HTML and CSS are used, to actually make an app do anything, you have to use Javascript. There are some very good resources, but very little WebOS specific tutorials (Although my tutorials and links in my signature will hopefully get you started.)
    Well thank you for correcting me. I wasn't aware of that and now I feel like an *****. It took me less than a week (two or three days, can't remember) to learn HTML. I'm not 100% fluent, but I know enough.

Ok I'll look at it.

Edit: Learned the basics of CSS last night. It was easy lol
    Last edited by karothacker; 06/05/2010 at 08:49 AM.
    biggest thing you'll need to learn about javascript is the DOM and how Prototype extends that. Check out prototypejs.org and developer.palm.com... Aside from that Javascript is really an odd language. I say odd but really it's just huge. It's been around a long time and has had lots of bits and pieces just cobbled on. It's got a million different ways of doing things and you'll mostly just have to look stuff up as you go. I've been using it for 10 years and I still have to go on a google spree every time I start a new project...
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have no clue what either of you guys are talking about.

Last year in October, I didn't know JACK....I rolled up my sleeves and dug in....I didn't know what classes, methods, properties or attributes were but I was using them and using them effectively. I've written a couple of apps and a couple of services using java and javascript.

It's up to you to decide what is the best way you learn, but for me...I seem to have better retention through rolling up my sleeve digging in and then repetition.

tutorials and youtube videos are nice and maybe you learn better using them, but I have a low patience threshold!!!

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    biggest thing you'll need to learn about javascript is the DOM and how Prototype extends that. Check out prototypejs.org and developer.palm.com... Aside from that Javascript is really an odd language. I say odd but really it's just huge. It's been around a long time and has had lots of bits and pieces just cobbled on. It's got a million different ways of doing things and you'll mostly just have to look stuff up as you go. I've been using it for 10 years and I still have to go on a google spree every time I start a new project...
    After watching a few videos of Crockford at Yahoo teaching JavaScript I've noticed that it is a huge language with a lot of bits and pieces. I think I'm going to hold off on learning it and programing for WebOS until I'm out of Highschool. I have summerschool and then my senior year till I'm done so it's not that far away.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I have no clue what either of you guys are talking about.

Last year in October, I didn't know JACK....I rolled up my sleeves and dug in....I didn't know what classes, methods, properties or attributes were but I was using them and using them effectively. I've written a couple of apps and a couple of services using java and javascript.

It's up to you to decide what is the best way you learn, but for me...I seem to have better retention through rolling up my sleeve digging in and then repetition.

tutorials and youtube videos are nice and maybe you learn better using them, but I have a low patience threshold!!!
    I have great patience. lol I learn best by examples and by actually doing, but I like to have knowledge of something before i start.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    LOL, that's funny... I am getting ansy just at the idea of waiting for a video to get through to the part that I am interested in... I am fast forwarding right now in my head!! LOL Arrrrggghhh, I can't stand it!

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    I think I'm going to hold off on learning it and programing for WebOS until I'm out of Highschool.
    Don't do that. What I said about javascript being huge wasn't meant as a deterrent. I was simply saying that nobody really knows it. It really is like Drew said, just get started on it, you'll pretty much just learn as you go. It's a huge language, not a difficult one. You'll just want to keep reference material handy. Like the two sites I mentioned above.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    Don't do that. What I said about javascript being huge wasn't meant as a deterrent. I was simply saying that nobody really knows it. It really is like Drew said, just get started on it, you'll pretty much just learn as you go. It's a huge language, not a difficult one. You'll just want to keep reference material handy. Like the two sites I mentioned above.
    Well it's not that I think it will be hard I just don't want to have a reason to put my school work off. I have to get 9 credits next year so I really need to focus on it.