Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the latest news from HP about not buying Palm for the smart phone aspect I wanted to throw out the idea about maybe WebOS internals team porting a version of WebOS to the Evo... If they can put android on an iPhone why not WebOS on the new EVO that would be great And not just on the Evo there are many nice devices with great hardware... let me know what you think about this idea and if you think it's indeed a good idea pass it on to WebOS Internals. If any one can do it i believe they can. They are WebOS god's...
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    The biggest problem there is that one of the most important aspects of WebOS, that of the gesture area, do not exist on the EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    The biggest problem there is that one of the most important aspects of WebOS, that of the gesture area, do not exist on the EVO.
    Or on any other phone - lol
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    or may b they can use the lower half of the touch screen as the gesture area, but writing code for it will b a pain, not impossible though.

i woul love to see webos on the evo

we would also need a better virtual key board
  5.    #5  
    Ya i was kind of thinking the same thing as well it how ever does have 4 buttons along the bottom that are touch buttons you could set one to do thee same as what the button on the pre does then if you swoop your finger from left to right or vise versa maybe could make it work that way?
    I'd love to see WebOS on hardware of the same caliber as the EVO, but I don't see it ever being ported to that phone.

Let's just hope that Palm's next phone is up to snuff. The Pre was passable last year, but it feels cheap and outdated hardwarewise. They will also need to up the resolution to at least 800 x 480 in order to shine against the new crop of Androids and the new iPhone.

I really would have loved to see HTC buy Palm. That would have made for some awesome devices.

I don't much like Android, but I am buying an EVO tomorrow morning because I am tired of this rinky dink Pre. I will probably just keep the Pre for development.Still, I will get whatever Palm comes out with next.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    You should have ended your thread title with a "?".
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Without a physical keyboard, I'm not interested.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I feel the same way, but I'm willing to give it a try. Supposedly, it's quite nice since the screen is so big. We'll see. I need a dev phone for Android. My wife gets annoyed when I beef hers to test stuff.

If I don't like it, I'll just take it back. I charge my phones to my Sprint account so I won't even be out any money while I try it.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    No virtual keyboard.
    WebOS doesn't have voice speech to text like Android, so... can't use that either.
    You'll need like a BT keyboard.

In my opinion, I think cards + smooth games will be the only thing you gain from putting WebOS on Evo... and since the Evo doesn't run games as well as the OMAP series, our games won't run as smoothly.

So just cards + gestures. The gestures Evo can't do, so there goes that. Right then and there you lose like 50% of the user interface, which is arguably the only thing WebOS has going for itself. :/

Android is fine on the Evo.
    WebOs needs to be optimized for the Evo.

First of all, WebOS would need a virtual keyboard. Android has one, Sense has one, Swype can be put on it, and it also has speech to text if all else fails... however, WebOS is left with 0 vkb's.

Secondly, with an 8MP camera, one would need lots of settings. Android has contrast, face recognition, auto focus, flash, zoom, etc.
    WebOS just has a toggle for flash.

And well, those are all the problems I guess... there are other limitations as well, but it would take ages listing all of Android's features.

Otherwise, 50+% of WebOS's problems are solved by new hardware.
    Last edited by Kedar; 06/03/2010 at 04:32 PM.
    wait when was webos ported to the iphone, any videos??

edit i reread the first post and noticed it was android ported to the iphone, nvm
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    wait when was webos ported to the iphone, any videos??

edit i reread the first post and noticed it was android ported to the iphone, nvm
    It wasn't only android was and even that doesn't work very well
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Wouldnt be all that hard if you had the luna code. Unfortunately, even simple things like the odd HID protocol of the touchscreen still eludes a lot of people for even developing natively on the Pre.

Probably would be an easier effort to make a Launcher for Android that appears to mimic WebOS cards.
    the gesture area is a no brainer since we can create a layer to add the virtual keys if their are not enough to mimic the gestures. i dont think a touch screen wll work for the gestures IMO since they are based on the IR sensors next to the center button. If you need a dump of the code thats installed inside the Touchscreen chip I can get you that to see if their are clues inside.
    I'd say you have two options:

1. Settle for android

2. Wait t'ill palm releases a new device, and hope it meets your needs...
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all your input guys we defiantly need some shiny new hardware for webOS i bought an Evo just because i am a tech ***** lol but i have to lines and am still using my pre as the main phone but i have to admit the evo is fast and its a lot better for games and media as soon as the next webos phone comes out i am game Again thanks for all your info...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    On Android phones, that area with the buttons is usually just an extension of the touch screen with defined button areas. It is literally part of the same touch panel without a display behind it. The buttons are really more like permanent, hard-coded shortcuts. The capacitive glass in that area is capable of detecting touches anywhere, but it's not coded that way in the software. It could easily be recoded as a gesture area, and the buttons ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    On the contrary, the Evo does have a fairly large capacitive section below the display for it's capacitive buttons. Proof that this entire area is covered in sensors and that they can be accessed by software is shown when you scroll a webpage in the browser: if you start scrolling on-screen and then move your finger down, you can scroll from side to side below the screen on the capacitive strip, just like on Palm Pre.
    Agreed with regards to the gesture area. If the emulator can map a back gesture to the escape key then other devices should be able to do the same.

As for lack of keyboard, there's one available through preware that, with some heavy improvement, could maybe be used as a permanent solution to not having a physical keyboard (this is conjecture. I'm not certain of exactly how the VK on Preware works in terms of expanding its functionality so I can't be certain this is possible).

Regardless, it would be interesting to see WebOS running on other devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangejedi829 View Post
    On the contrary, the Evo does have a fairly large capacitive section below the display for it's capacitive buttons. Proof that this entire area is covered in sensors and that they can be accessed by software is shown when you scroll a webpage in the browser: if you start scrolling on-screen and then move your finger down, you can scroll from side to side below the screen on the capacitive strip, just like on Palm Pre.
    exactly the buttons on the bottom are one strip so it would be a great gesture area, i would rather have it a little thinner than it is on the pre theres too much wasted space. also we could use the preware vkb it would render really fast on the evo i bet, it would seem natural. just have it set up so that every text box you click on it opens instead of having to double tap the gesture area!!
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast