View Poll Results: Will you continue deving after the statement?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

18 27.27%
  • NO

15 22.73%
  • Waiting for clarification.

33 50.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-ceo-we-...phone-business

after reading this I will stop developement on my apps.

weatherIcon, myClock, findMYcar. and more, why should I work for a dying platform.

EDIT: I sould have written, I will "pause" developement, I voted for clarification.
    Last edited by abegee; 06/02/2010 at 08:11 PM.
    I didnt vote since I am not a dveloper, but its tough to justify me to fight for you to stay.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I would suggest wait until the buyout is finalized. It's not dead yet,lets wait until palm publicly announce something to that nature. I love this phone so much that I'm willing to stick it out until the end.
    I just hope the CEO just messed up on stage
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    not a developer. And i'm leaving the platform even before this for my own reasons. But i think to say this is so amazingly boneheaded it's unbelievable. The people that like their pre's now could defect. That's just dumb business in my mind.

And he said, "We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices"? I'll be honest and ask, "Where?" I see HP printers and hp laptops. That's hardly tens of millions of devices. are they talking a total that they've ever sold or tens of millions of seperate products they offers for sale. cause i maybe know of like 100, if you consider every laptop and printer model a seperate device. regardless this will drive away people and it's a dumb statement. He'll back track i'm sure but if you read the full quote he is clearly not misspeaking. He's clearly saying they bought it for webos not to use on phones but to use on other devices. it's a direct rebut to the idea they bought it for phones. And i think that's just dumb when that business is about phones. I continue to pray the Iphone comes to sprint. if not. Evo or hell, they'll be another better android device next month or the next month or the next month.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    not a developer. And i'm leaving the platform even before this for my own reasons. But i think to say this is so amazingly boneheaded it's unbelievable. The people that like their pre's now could defect. That's just dumb business in my mind.

And he said, "We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices"? I'll be honest and ask, "Where?" I see HP printers and hp laptops. That's hardly tens of millions of devices. are they talking a total that they've ever sold or tens of millions of seperate products they offers for sale. cause i maybe know of like 100, if you consider every laptop and printer model a seperate device. regardless this will drive away people and it's a dumb statement. He'll back track i'm sure but if you read the full quote he is clearly not misspeaking. He's clearly saying they bought it for webos not to use on phones but to use on other devices. it's a direct rebut to the idea they bought it for phones. And i think that's just dumb when that business is about phones. I continue to pray the Iphone comes to sprint. if not. Evo or hell, they'll be another better android device next month or the next month or the next month.
    millions of devices thats counting devices sold, not models. one model laptop can sell 100million devices.
    I am willing to bet he just meant that HP doesn't want WebOS to be pigeon-holed in mobile phones only, NOT that they will be ignoring mobile phones. Could we be any more knee-jerk with our reactions?
  8.    #8  
    I Hope that's what he meant but I doubt it.
    Kneejerk reaction to a comment that is honestly being blown out of proportion, in my opinion. But hey, if you don't want to continue development, that's your prerogative. I just wouldn't expect anyone to continue to buy your unsupported apps either.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I Hope that's what he meant but I doubt it.
    i wouldn't assume the worst just yet. Even if HP truly wanted to kill of WebOS phones, they wouldn't say that now. It'll only kill potential revenue streams prematurely. I believe this was just poor choice of words from a man who wants people to see Palms potential outside of the smartphone market.
    Edit: Removed from thread now that read by intended viewer.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/02/2010 at 08:02 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Kneejerk reaction to a comment that is honestly being blown out of proportion, in my opinion. But hey, if you don't want to continue development, that's your prerogative. I just wouldn't expect anyone to continue to buy your unsupported apps either.
    soon noone will have phones to put my "unsupported" apps on.
    Woah guys, I think what he's saying is WebOS is going beyond the smartphone market. And if I was a developer, that means access to a MUCH larger market.

You can stop if you like. I think there's not much any of us can say until the takeover happens, and we see the beginning of what they have in mind, but think about it for a second Abagee, what if your WeatherIcon program was now open to not only smartphones, but Tablets, Set Top boxes, TV's, Fridges, Printers...

I have no idea what's going to happen in the next couple of years, but think about it. Your weather app seems to me to be PERFECTLY positioned to go beyond smartphones. And that could mean more money in your pocket.

How is that not good?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    PS: To the OP, this has nothing to do with your post whatsoever. But as a developer for a platform that is based on the web, I'd like to make the constructive criticism that while you give a disclaimer about it (with a popup dialog??? and a URL to a non-existent page) your site gives a very poor impression on the PC and you might want to work on making that look a little nicer in your time off from webOS development.
    thanks for the constructive critcism, I was planning to work on the pc version off the site, but why shpuld I, the OS is dying, oh and BTW the site is for webOS devices so visit it using your pre and tell me how you like it.

Abe
    Last edited by abegee; 06/02/2010 at 07:49 PM.

weatherIcon, myClock, findMYcar. and more, why should I work for a dying platform.
    You mean the dying platform that's going to be put onto tablets, printers, and other smartphones?

He said he didn't buy it to be in the smartphone business, he didn't say "we're not making smartphones"
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    but they'll have tablets and printers. I think you're over reacting a little
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    You mean the dying platform that's going to be put onto tablets, printers, and other smartphones?

He said he didn't buy it to be in the smartphone business, he didn't say "we're not making smartphones"
    again I hope thats what he wanted to say, but as a developer, I can't spend time working on apps, unless I know whats going to happen.
    in context, insert the word 'just' or 'only'.

he is including phones as part of a spectrum of mobile and connected devices. The sky is not falling.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/02/2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
    [url]

EDIT: I sould have written, I will "pause" developement, I voted for clarification.
    that's fair. I expect you to refund what people have paid you, and remove them from the catalog before anyone else buys a dead product from a developer who has no future. That seems fair.

lets all resist the temptation to over react.

Hey Abegee while i understand where you are coming from; if you created an unfinished product and sold it to some isn't it fair that you continue to support those that supported you at least until it has been completed? unless you feel that your product is complete otherwise the least you can do is give everyone what they paid for. - It can always be ported to other platforms as well.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast