View Poll Results: Will you continue deving after the statement?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

18 27.27%
  • NO

15 22.73%
  • Waiting for clarification.

33 50.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So you managed to find no reasons on your own, but yes reasons are hard for you to come by so you want us to do your work for you? It kind of sounds like you have your answer.

If you have the necessary knowledge to develop elsewhere, go elsewhere. If you have the time to pick up the necessary knowledge to develop elsewhere, go elsewhere. If you have the desire to develop elsewhere, go elsewhere. If you have the need to develop elsewhere, go elsewhere. If you have neither the desire nor the time, don't particularly have the desire and lack the need, then stay here.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I like weatherIcon.
    My reasons for staying is that I'm not skilled enough for other platforms, and I love the community here, which got me interested in learning how to code apps for it. If I can make a buck doing something I enjoy, or would do anyway, then gravy....
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I like weatherIcon.
    I just changed the server for weatherIcon to a paid server so it should work faster, I'm also going to redo some of the code before I go to bed.
    Given the recent updates and the new development frameworks that are coming soon... This seems like a pretty bad time to be jumping ship.

Heck, all i know is HTML and CSS, I can't code at all... but I'm still totally gonna try with WebOS

You want WebOS to be successful? Then stay, make apps, and help it grow and thrive.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Okay, look, no one here can tell you what's best for you. But Palm and HP have major product releases coming next year. We will probably hear something in Jan at CES. I know it looks grim now, but trust me, in Jan, people will be talking about Palm again. Can you give it a month before your final decision?

You've made some awesome apps that I LOVE. I use WeatherIcon, My Clock and Find My Car and all the time. You're Box.net app is awesome. You're apps are always polished and really functional. Really REALLY well crafted. I'm a huge fan. If things go well for WebOS in the next year, you'll do well. At the same time, no app developer should stick with one platform out of loyalty. I'd say the same thing if you were developing only for the iPhone. I'd say, hey, look at WebOS, you can port your apps easily and we're a small community now, but things could change.

But in the mean time, please PLEEEEASE release your Weather & Clock Widget for sale in Canada!!!!! Please. I'm begging. I have no shame. You name the price. Personally I'd pay $5 easy. I hear it works really well, and I'm excited about the really interesting way you've taken the WebOS Cards metaphor and matched it with the Android Widget metaphor. You're obviously super clever and will do well wherever you go, but if your going to leave, please allow me to give you money and use your app.

From an Abesapps fanatic.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Well, I know there will be more users once the new hardware comes out...I had all the negative talk, but whatever...

If you want to move on for now, work on something -when you notice the users increasing, definitely come back. I hate seeing devs/users leaving, but hopefully soon it will change.

At least hold off until CES...
    The best reason for staying with webOS development is that you are needed here.

Thanks for what you do.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Why not stay and develop for webos, and develop for another platform. Is it really an either/or question?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I thought the SDK or something made it really simple to port apps from another platform if that was the case why do we not see more ported to WebOS and you could always cross develop if you could also port to Android or iOS as well with less work
    Come on, is it Really clear that HP isnt getting thier act together? I know that technology moves crazy fast but come on. there was just a merger and after jumping the gun with the pre dont we think the should get thier ducks in a row before attacking the market again? This could be thier last shot so it needs to be good. If you really cant see the befefits and long term potential then do what you want to do. but these type posts are getting so annoying.
    like your weathericon app abegee. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    Should I continue webOS development or not, If yes WHY, ( I have all the reasons not to continue ).

It seems obvious that Palm/HP can't get their act together and are just being lazy ( as is evident from the lack of interest they have in keeping and getting new big devs ). So should I stay or go?
    If it's "obvious" to you, you should go. On a more serious note though, I suspect the real answer would depend a lot on what you are developing.

The rumored 7 million tablets in the works can hardly be ignored. A well written app that would work on the tablet and on phones might be a highly desired item...
    Just one word: Enyo.

I've been waiting for something like this since day one.

Forums is my last Mojo app. I'm going to try Jo meanwhile, but my bet is Enyo. Palm has said that Enyo will run in every webkit browser out there.

If you're developing data consumption apps, the deal is:

Enyo (or Jo) + Phonegap = every platform without hard rework.

If you're developing other kind of apps, then you must decide which path to follow.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Just one word: Enyo.

I've been waiting for something like this since day one.

Forums is my last Mojo app. I'm going to try Jo meanwhile, but my bet is Enyo. Palm has said that Enyo will run in every webkit browser out there.

If you're developing data consumption apps, the deal is:

Enyo (or Jo) + Phonegap = every platform without hard rework.

If you're developing other kind of apps, then you must decide which path to follow.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Have they said if the Enyo release is going to be when they finally allow "hybrids" of programming back end with web technology front end apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Have they said if the Enyo release is going to be when they finally allow "hybrids" of programming back end with web technology front end apps?
    Enyo will come later. webOS 2.0 ("official release", not Pre 2 release) is the milestone for hybrid apps, I think.

Not sure how "wrappers" like PhoneGap will work with hybrid apps.

I think I'd like it if it worked for me, but all I get is a black screen - not my wallpaper showing through. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but to no avail. Also, a landscape mode would be a nice addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipStewart View Post
    I think I'd like it if it worked for me, but all I get is a black screen - not my wallpaper showing through. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but to no avail. Also, a landscape mode would be a nice addition.
    Wrong thread?

I just started developing only because I have the phone. Not much of a market, so I'm writing stuff mostly for me, and probably occasionally will release one of them.

The other app store have a entrance fee though, which is why I haven't developed for them. not enough money in the budget... though that could get me more money in my budget... ahh.... catch 22
    Provide as much love to the platform that reciprocates in kind. Maybe webOS doesn't have the user base now but can you maintain existing webOS apps until they justify further time and resources without taking much away from other platforms with greater user bases?

And since WP7 looks a helluva lot nicer than Android or iOS maybe also check out:

http://www.wpcentral.com/android-vs-...28wpcentral%29
    Last edited by foosball; 01/13/2011 at 11:48 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast