View Poll Results: Will you continue deving after the statement?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    18 27.27%
  • NO

    15 22.73%
  • Waiting for clarification.

    33 50.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 99
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Because you are being a hypocrite. Clear and simple. It is wrong for you to sell apps based on what you have written here.
    I can't see what's wrong with selling apps that are fully functioning and as I said I will be fixing bugs if they arise, as I am bound by my contract, If you have a problem with me not making new apps or adding features, (to fully functioning apps) can you explain what is wrong with that. I actually answered over 200 emails in regards to weatherIcon which is a free app, I doubt any other developer has done that (i wouldn't be surprised if they have because they are a great bunch of guys), I think that shows my commitment to supporting my apps.

    You seem to not read my posts please reread them, before you cooment again.

    Thank you
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Woah... everyone chill out. Abagee has every right to be concerned about the future of the platform. And we also have a right to try and comfort him about the future of the platform. Getting snarky and personal like this ain't gonna help.
    I didn't start such a provocative and irresponsible thread. And I'm not taking people's money while criticizing another company for doing the same thing.

    I've been so proud of this community over the years. I'm really embarrassed by it right now.
  3.    #43  
    I didn't crticize HP for taking peoples money, I said I wouldn't work on new apps, are you perhaps confusing me with someone else.

    where did I criticize HP, before you comment please point out where I wrote anything bad about HP, other then me not making new apps.

    and from the looks of the POLL I'm not the only developer saying this.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I didn't crticize HP for taking peoples money, I said I wouldn't work on new apps, are you perhaps confusing me with someone else.

    where did I criticize HP, before you comment please point out where I wrote anything bad about HP, other then me not making new apps.

    and from the looks of the POLL I'm not the only developer saying this.
    You said that you won't put your effort into a platform because you think they've said it has no future. I'm saying that others shouldn't put their money (money=time) into your stuff because you've stated that it has no future. It's the same thing. Exactly the same thing. The only difference is whose wallet is impacted. If things are clarified and you remain committed, you should start selling again.

    Cowboy up.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You said that you won't put your effort into a platform because you think they've said it has no future. I'm saying that others shouldn't put their money (money=time) into your stuff because you've stated that it has no future. It's the same thing. Exactly the same thing. The only difference is whose wallet is impacted. If things are clarified and you remain committed, you should start selling again.

    Cowboy up.
    Why does an app that is fully functioning not have a future?. I didn't start a provacative thread I started I POLL to see what other Dev's are doing and over 50 percent are waiting for clarification 25 percent are stopping compleatly and 25 percent are continuing.

    Please explain yourself a little more, because the way I see it you are very confused.

    HP has no doesn't have to make new phones and I don't have to make mew apps

    HP still needs to support the Phones and I need to support my apps.

    I can choose to stop making new apps and you can choose not to buy my apps. That doesn't make an app or a phone useless.

    I can choose to continue development and do so even if it may just be a waste of time, but I don't see how not making new apps breaks my old apps and renders them useless
    Last edited by abegee; 06/02/2010 at 11:13 PM.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    Why does an app that is fully functioning not have a future?. I didn't start a provacative thread I started I POLL to see what other Dev's are doing and over 50 percent are waiting for clarification 25 percent are stopping compleatly and 25 percent are continuing.

    Please explain yourself a little more, because the way I see it you are very confused.

    HP has no doesn't have to make new phones and I don't have to make mew apps

    HP still needs to support the Phones and I need to support my apps.

    I can choose to stop making new apps and you can choose not to buy my apps. That doesn't make an app or a phone useless.

    I can choose to continue development and do so even if it may just be a waste of time, but I don't see how not making new apps breaks my old apps and renders them useless
    Support current customers yes, Sell to new ones, no. It's not the poll, it's the provocative statements you made to justify the poll. We are clearly not going to agree on this. I'm embarrassed for the people in this forum that have shown such intelligence to think different enough to get a webOS phone, then turned off their brains based on a sensational headline. You don't see this on Android or BlackBerry forums.
  7.    #47  
    Any responsible developer should be doing this already. The moment I have specs in-hand, I'm ready to go just like I was when the Pixi came around and many had to adjust their interfaces to fit comfortably.
    I already have some great ideas for a tablet and have done some work in that direction, I hope HP makes a webOS tablet and doesn't just stick webOS on printers
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Support current customers yes, Sell to new ones, no.
    I see no reason why a fully functoning product shouldn't be sold if I will support it. You haven't explained that yet.
    It's not the poll, it's the provocative statements you made to justify the poll.
    please quote the statements.

    We are clearly not going to agree on this.

    Yeah I don't usually agree to things that don't make sense and can't be explained.

    I'm embarrassed for the people in this forum that have shown such intelligence to think different enough to get a webOS phone, then turned off their brains based on a sensational headline. You don't see this on Android or BlackBerry forums.
    You also don't see the great homebrew community on those forums, Precentral is a great site.
  9. #49  
    Wait until we know what's going on. His comment, out of context, can be taken any number of ways.

    Looking a little more closely at his comments, it seems he meant, "We didn't acquire Palm in order to focus completely on the smartphone market -- we're thinking larger than that."

    Precentral never should have ran a headline news post with only a small fraction of information. But then, they're smartphone experts, not journalists!
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Wait until we know what's going on. His comment, out of context, can be taken any number of ways.

    Looking a little more closely at his comments, it seems he meant, "We didn't acquire Palm in order to focus completely on the smartphone market -- we're thinking larger than that."

    Precentral never should have ran a headline news post with only a small fraction of information. But then, they're smartphone experts, not journalists!
    I'm surprised Precentral wrote it that way, I also reread the interview and after some talk on the Palm dev forums it seems that what he wanted to say was that HP wants to take webOS to places beyond smartphones. But Palm should clarify this.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I'm surprised Precentral wrote it that way, I also reread the interview and after some talk on the Palm dev forums it seems that what he wanted to say was that HP wants to take webOS to places beyond smartphones. But Palm should clarify this.
    That's the first sensible thing you've said in awhile. You know that the question he was answering wasn't "Did HP buy Palm so they could get Palm out of the Smartphone business?"

    Don't you wish you'd thought things through before starting this ridiculous thread? I think you should ask a moderator to close it and perhaps delete it. Everyone scared off in this panic is one less person you can sell apps to. What a mess.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-ceo-we-...phone-business

    after reading this I will stop developement on my apps.

    weatherIcon, myClock, findMYcar. and more, why should I work for a dying platform.


    EDIT: I sould have written, I will "pause" developement, I voted for clarification.
    You wanted a quote... there it is.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's the first sensible thing you've said in awhile. You know that the question he was answering wasn't "Did HP buy Palm so they could get Palm out of the Smartphone business?"

    Don't you wish you'd thought things through before starting this ridiculous thread? I think you should ask a moderator to close it and perhaps delete it. Everyone scared off in this panic is one less person you can sell apps to. What a mess.
    you obviously didn't read my posts, I have already stated previously that I hoped Hurd wanted to say this and not what the article made it sound like.

    Maybe keeping this thread open, will teach the article writers to be more careful
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You wanted a quote... there it is.
    that is provocative? How?, I was stating a fact that many agreed to.

    Please find yourself someone else to mess with, I'd much rather make apps for a dying OS then waste my time with you, you obviously misunderstood my intentions, and you can't back down. Go get a life.
  15.    #55  
    Should I continue webOS development or not, If yes WHY, ( I have all the reasons not to continue ).

    It seems obvious that Palm/HP can't get their act together and are just being lazy ( as is evident from the lack of interest they have in keeping and getting new big devs ). So should I stay or go?
  16. #56  
    No, go to a more thriving OS where you can reap the benefits of your hard work...go Android or IOS.

    Sfm Evo
  17. #57  
    Depends on what you are developing. If you are developing an app that requires as much time on one of the larger platforms as on webOS, do the other platform. If you are going for the low hanging fruit, (i.e. yet another social networking app on a second tier service), go with a more popular platform since the percentages are in your favor.

    If you are not getting any play on the other platforms because you are the 25th product of a type on the those platforms (and you are actually a skilled developer) webOS might be worth your while.

    But you probably already have this calculated. I'm curious is this a rhetorical or a serious question? I'd not pay much attention to either end of the extremists... either the 'webOS is always the best' for everything, or those more like troll-boy.

    C
  18. #58  
    Aim for Android iOS first and foremost...then when you have a moment develop for WebOS.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    No, go to a more thriving OS where you can reap the benefits of your hard work...go Android or IOS.

    Sfm Evo
    I'm looking for yes reasons, not NO reasons, I have enough reasons not too.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Depends on what you are developing. If you are developing an app that requires as much time on one of the larger platforms as on webOS, do the other platform. If you are going for the low hanging fruit, (i.e. yet another social networking app on a second tier service), go with a more popular platform since the percentages are in your favor.

    If you are not getting any play on the other platforms because you are the 25th product of a type on the those platforms (and you are actually a skilled developer) webOS might be worth your while.

    But you probably already have this calculated. I'm curious is this a rhetorical or a serious question? I'd not pay much attention to either end of the extremists... either the 'webOS is always the best' for everything, or those more like troll-boy.

    C
    actually what brought me to webOS was the chance to start with an OS with a small amount of apps, and the chance to not be the "25th", however for that to work there must be a user base and with the webOS userbase dropping it's simply not worth it.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions