View Poll Results: Will you continue deving after the statement?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

18 27.27%
  • NO

15 22.73%
  • Waiting for clarification.

33 50.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    in context, insert the word 'just' air 'only'.

he is including phones as part of a spectrum of mobile and connected devices. The sky is not falling.
    I reread the articles and HP CEO's statements and I thing there may be some "selective journalism" going on, so I'm waiting for clarification.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    Hey Abegee while i understand where you are coming from; if you created an unfinished product and sold it to some isn't it fair that you continue to support those that supported you at least until it has been completed? unless you feel that your product is complete otherwise the least you can do is give everyone what they paid for. - It can always be ported to other platforms as well.
    my paid apps are finished products and i will continue to help the users via email, weatherIcon is a free app and isnt compleatly done it has great reviews check it out. I'm just putting new apps and updates on hold.
    you have it all wrong. the platform is not dying. if anything that is the only reason hp said they were buying palm, is FOR webos.
    i do use weather icon that is what my inquiry was really targeting.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Everyone's overreaction to the CEO's poorly worded statement is amusing. I'll say it again, he just meant that HP wasn't going to niche itself on smartphones and that WebOS will be on many different devices in the future.

Or maybe I'm wrong and the sky is falling like you say....
    Last edited by webfellow; 06/02/2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: .
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    i do use weather icon that is what my inquiry was really targeting.
    I have an update of weatherIcon waiting for approval, which brings nighttime icons and fixes a bug with the pixi and german devices, i have plans for more stuff but it would be easier if I get some type of clarification from palm regarding the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    my paid apps are finished products and i will continue to help the users via email, weatherIcon is a free app and isnt compleatly done it has great reviews check it out. I'm just putting new apps and updates on hold.
    Will that still be the case when the next webOS update arrives?
    I guess I wouldn't mind streaming radio to my toaster. Does hp really make toasters? Maybe my toaster will change its display with the weather. Can I adjust the toaster's settings with my pre? Do I have to eat burnt toast til the next update?
    Quote Originally Posted by webfellow View Post
    I am willing to bet he just meant that HP doesn't want WebOS to be pigeon-holed in mobile phones only, NOT that they will be ignoring mobile phones. Could we be any more knee-jerk with our reactions?
    I would think this is what he meant. Bonehead mistake? YES. Not to talk of fruit too much, but the iPhone and iPad make a pretty good pair. WebOS can make both better and I'm sure HP knows this, you don't dump one to put out the other IMHO
  10.    #30  
    Will that still be the case when the next webOS update arrives?
    The next update is almost here, I'm waiting for clarification from HP/Palm as to the intent of the CEO
    The next update is almost here, I'm waiting for clarification from HP/Palm as to the intent of the CEO
    Honestly, I think you need to take out all of your apps right now. You are criticizing HP for not boldly declaring support in a manner that resonates with you. I think you should hold yourself to the same standard you are projecting to HP. Any apps bought may very well die if you don't maintain them. Any apps bought from today forward are purchased by someone that is unlikely to know that you aren't committed. How can you take money from them? There is no disclaimer in your app that says "buy this, but at the risk of knowing this developer may or may not hang around, depending on whether I like what the HP CEO says."

I'm sorry to be so direct, but I feel strongly that your reaction should compel you to be consistent. Every minute your apps remain in the catalog represents a double standard. Seriously.
    Hey people, HP makes computers, laptops, and ... TABLETS. Seriously, toasters ... you people :P
    Just throwing a two usage scenarios for having it on printers out there.

First, it'd finally give a good interface for printing photos directly from a camera.

Second is the bigger one though, that I'll use an example for. For my mother's business, she gets emailed PDF documents all the time that need to be printed, signed, and notarized. By having webOS on a printer, she would effectively no longer need a computer, phone, or anything getting in the middle of this. Just open the email client directly on the printer, open the document, and hit print. Cuts out any other devices from slowing the job down.

I'm sure there's other examples, but that's just one I can see from firsthand observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    No, those are very plausible scenarios. It's just that, well, streaming audio is sort of an out-of-place niche for your HP LaserJet 64000 - webOS Edition to be using.
    Aaah, never mind, I misunderstood what you were saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by webfellow View Post
    I am willing to bet he just meant that HP doesn't want WebOS to be pigeon-holed in mobile phones only, NOT that they will be ignoring mobile phones. Could we be any more knee-jerk with our reactions?
    I tend to agree with this post. HP already makes mobile phones. The CEO didn't say, we are getting out of the mobile phone biz. I think it's too early to start making assumptions about the HP strategy with WebOS.
    mobigamedepot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    No, those are very plausible scenarios. It's just that, well, streaming audio is sort of an out-of-place niche for your HP LaserJet 64000 - webOS Edition to be using.
    Hehe, or IS it out of place?!??

to developers I say this...

you think in the long run there will be more webOS phones than webOS tablets/other devices? How many phones have Palm sold so far? And how many tablets/mobile devices will HP eventually sell? I think phones will be outnumbered by the "other" mobile devices HP will sell.

I think HP realized that it won't be selling as much webOS phones, and thus that statement.

if anything, I would continue to develop with concept of scaling in mind.
  18.    #38  
    Honestly, I think you need to take out all of your apps right now. You are criticizing HP for not boldly declaring support in a manner that resonates with you. I think you should hold yourself to the same standard you are projecting to HP. Any apps bought may very well die if you don't maintain them. Any apps bought from today forward are purchased by someone that is unlikely to know that you aren't committed. How can you take money from them? There is no disclaimer in your app that says "buy this, but at the risk of knowing this developer may or may not hang around, depending on whether I like what the HP CEO says."

I'm sorry to be so direct, but I feel strongly that your reaction should compel you to be consistent. Every minute your apps remain in the catalog represents a double standard. Seriously.
    I seriously don't understand what your getting so worked up about, my apps work and will work it's not like they will stop working and I will still fix bugs and answer emails, I'm just not going to work on new projects and add features until I get a clarification as to the intent of HP CEO Hurd.

I don't see how an app dies if I don't update it, (unless Palm makes drastic changes it's very unlikely ), and besides I'm bound by my contract with Palm to ensure that the app works for as long as it's in the catalog, and I intend to do that as stated above.

If you have difficulty understanding me, feel free to say so, and I can repeat what I have said.
    Last edited by abegee; 06/02/2010 at 10:40 PM.
    I seriously don't understand what you getting so worked up about, my apps work and will work it's not like they will stop working and I will still fix bugs and answer emails, I'm just not going to work on new projects and add features until I get a clarification as to the intent of HP CEO Hurd.

I don't see how an app dies if I don't update it, (unless Palm makes drastic changes it's very unlikely ), and besides I'm bound by my contract with Palm to ensure that the app works for as long as it's in the catalog, and I intend to do that as stated above.

If you have difficulty understanding me, feel free to say so, and I can repeat what I have said.
    Because you are being a hypocrite. Clear and simple. It is wrong for you to sell apps based on what you have written here.
    Because you are being a hypocrite. Clear and simple. It is wrong for you to sell apps based on what you have written here.
    Woah... everyone chill out. Abagee has every right to be concerned about the future of the platform. And we also have a right to try and comfort him about the future of the platform. Getting snarky and personal like this ain't gonna help.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast