Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. KarlD89's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
       #1  
    I recently came across the following website:

    Getting Xbox Live Achievements Data: Part 1 – The PHP Problems - PHP, iPad, and iPhone Developer – Ben Dodson

    it talks about accessing the data for achievements on XBOX Live.

    i am no developer, so i have no idea whether this could be used by anyone, but i would just love an application that could access the achievement data of my Xbox Live account, as well as that of my friends,

    so developers, what do you say, is it possible to create an app for the Palm Pre/WebOS that could access the achievement data?
  2. #2  
    As of right now, no app can do this. Shortly though, if someone wants to make a C++ app that does it, they can. The rumor, however, is that hybrid apps won't be around for some time, so it can't be done in the proper sense.

    However, I am developing an app that will give you everything I can publicly pull (no achievements at this time), and when hybrid apps are available, it will get the achievements as well. That, of course, will require your username/password, but that isn't too big of a deal for most, as it will never leave the device (well, except for authenticating with xbox.com).
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3. KarlD89's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    As of right now, no app can do this. Shortly though, if someone wants to make a C++ app that does it, they can. The rumor, however, is that hybrid apps won't be around for some time, so it can't be done in the proper sense.

    However, I am developing an app that will give you everything I can publicly pull (no achievements at this time), and when hybrid apps are available, it will get the achievements as well. That, of course, will require your username/password, but that isn't too big of a deal for most, as it will never leave the device (well, except for authenticating with xbox.com).
    so once hybrid apps are available, are you going to update your app to pull in achievements?

    also, how much will your app cost?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlD89 View Post
    so once hybrid apps are available, are you going to update your app to pull in achievements?

    also, how much will your app cost?
    Yes, after hybrid apps can be done, I will update the app through Palm to allow it to pull in achievements.

    At that time, I will increase the cost (because of the additional features), but I will not charge for updates.

    As a result, I will be recommending that everybody that wants the app (even with a few features lacking) to buy it as soon as it is in the catalog, so they get it at a lower price. Plus, the more people who purchase it, the more interest I know of, and the more time I will devote to this app.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5. KarlD89's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Yes, after hybrid apps can be done, I will update the app through Palm to allow it to pull in achievements.

    At that time, I will increase the cost (because of the additional features), but I will not charge for updates.

    As a result, I will be recommending that everybody that wants the app (even with a few features lacking) to buy it as soon as it is in the catalog, so they get it at a lower price. Plus, the more people who purchase it, the more interest I know of, and the more time I will devote to this app.
    what is the name of the app, so i know to look out for it when it is released?

    and if you need any beta testers or so on, send me a personal message, and i will gladly help
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlD89 View Post
    what is the name of the app, so i know to look out for it when it is released?

    and if you need any beta testers or so on, send me a personal message, and i will gladly help
    I will be releasing the app in a closed beta in a week or so (closed beta as in NDA, etc.) and I will make an announcement regarding the app info shortly thereafter.

    Thanks.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  7. #7  
    As a long time member of the XCDP (Xbox Community Developer Program,) I can tell you that microsoft isn't going to let you charge for your app.

    While they do frown upon scraping xbox.com, and abusing the .net authentication system (both of which you seem to be planning,) I haven't seen them kill any apps for that specifically.

    But they have killed every single for-pay app that has been released for iphone/android/other. And by kill, I mean, force the developer to give it away for free or not at all.

    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...e-set-free.ars
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/08/xb...live-for-long/

    Don't mistake my post as a deterrent, it's just as a heads up. Good luck!
    Last edited by oil; 06/01/2010 at 04:25 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    As a long time member of the XCDP (Xbox Community Developer Program,) I can tell you that microsoft isn't going to let you charge for your app.

    While they do frown upon scraping xbox.com, and abusing the .net authentication system (both of which you seem to be planning,) I haven't seen them kill any apps for that specifically.

    But they have killed every single for-pay app that has been released for iphone/android/other. And by kill, I mean, force the developer to give it away for free or not at all.

    Microsoft demands Xbox LIVE iPhone app to be set free
    Xbox 360 Live iPhone app won't be live for long -- Joystiq

    Don't mistake my post as a deterrent, it's just as a heads up. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info. At this time, I will be halting production of the XBL portion and I will make them two separate apps. XBL will be free (some time in the future) and PSN will be for-money.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions