Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    There seems to be very very little information in Palm's documentation of Mojo.Animation and next to no examples online of code. My end goal is to get a div to slide off the screen. Currently, I am just trying to resize the div and animate this resizing to figure out how the mojo animation works.

Code:
    Mojo.Animation.animateStyle(
       $("canvasSlider"), "width","linear",
       {
          currentValue : "320", duration : 2,
       })
    }
    (NOTE: i pulled most of this from "Practical Palm Pre WebOS Projects," which is on Google Books)

Can i just call this Mojo.Animation.animateStyle() when i receive an event (such as clicking a button), or is this just the set up of the style that my animation will have? Does anyone have any experience fiddling around with this stuff?
    Last edited by Shawalli; 05/27/2010 at 12:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    and here is the element from the scene:

Code:
    <canvas class="canvasSlider" id="canvasSlider" width="320" height="70"></canvas>
    I think your problem is the width property you are trying to animate. If you want it to slide off the screen, use a property such as marginLeft. It effectively just moves it from where it is to a position off the screen. To get it to go from left to right all the way off the screen:

Code:
    	Mojo.Animation.animateStyle($("canvasSlider"), 'marginLeft', 'linear', {
    			to: 400,
    			duration: 2
    	});
    Take a look at FlashCards Lite. I do the same thing, but I use CSS transforms to handle this. It's as easy as setting or removing a class to any element to get this to fire.

Code:
    #tip.tipShow	{margin-left:0px; -webkit-transition: all 0.25s ease-in; }
    #tip.tipHide	{margin-left:400px; -webkit-transition: all 0.75s ease-in;}
    Apply .tipShow to show it, tipHide to hide it. I do this with the tips, apply .tipHide, wait a second, then pop in new text and apply .tipShow. CSS will get you better performance.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    spdsktr, the css webkit transitions sound interesting, but im not sure i quite understand the .tipshow tacked on to the tip class. how does that work? how do you go about reassigning a div to another css class? if you dont feel like explaining, im perfectly fine with a general direction (website, etc.) to start looking into it
    What you do is apply the className to the div when you want it to do something:

default:
    $("your_div").className = "tipShow";

To 'swipe it' off the screen:
    $("your_div").className = "tipHide";

To 'swipe it' back on screen:
    $("your_div").className = "tipShow";

What I do is apply the hide, change the text ($("your_div").innerHTML = "Some New Test", then apply the show again. Set a timeout to 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc and rerun all over again to slide tips in and out of the scene.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    hey James,
    I know it's been awhile since the last post to this thread. I got the CSS transitions stuff partially working (never could get mojo.animateStyle to work). When I activate the class change, the image im transitioning (no longer a canvas, just an img inside a div) instantly moves to the new spot. I'd like to see it smoothly scroll to that spot. Also, I DLed flashcards lite to look at your tips, but I don't know where to look to see tips.

Thanks a bunch for your help so far!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Alright James (and for all those intrepid devs following at home),
    I figured out how to do it! And boy do I love that webos uses webkit! So I basically used the css styles that you did, except that I added "-webkit-transform" for the movement.
    Code:
    #div {left:30px;}

#div.showDiv {-webkit-transform: translate(30px,0); -webkit-transition: all 1s ease-in;}

#div.hideDiv {-webkit-transform: translate(-30px,0); -webkit-transition: all 1s ease-in;}
    So originally, the "div" id (which uniquely named in my app, but for explanation, its called "div") just defines the div properties and where it is on the page. Therefore, #div.showDiv should only be assigned after it's been hidden. Anyway, simply assign the class to be #div.hideDiv to slide it to -30 px (aka off the screen to the left) over a duration of 1 second.

And James, thanks so much for all your help with this!
    Sorry, missed the responses here. But looks like you got it, awesome!

Now hit me up with a PM when your app launches so I can see what you did.
    - James Harris

Author of: