Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the major differences in using Ares vs. Eclipse to code for WebOS?

I just finished up my first app (minus a few things) and I found it rather simple to use Ares with it's visual designer. I am wondering how easy it would have been to do this in Eclipse.
    If you're doing relatively simple apps, then Ares should suffice. If you plan to make more complex apps, you'd be better served by using the SDK.

From what I can tell, Ares does a lot of the heavy lifting for you. It creates a lot of the widgets in a substantially different way than the standard SDK methods.

I generally don't like WYSIWYG setups like Ares as they invariably have limitations when it comes to more complex development. I hate canned code of the sort generated by Ares. On the one hand, it makes things easier, but it quickly becomes a hassle if you want to do things differently.

In my opinion, developing with Ares is a crutch for those that can't or don't want to delve into the somewhat more difficult SDK development process. In the long run, you'd be better off learning to develop with the SDK solutions. It can help you become a better developer.

Also, there is a better alternative to SDK coding than Eclipse. Actually, I've always thought that Eclipse was a buggy, clunky piece of junk. Check out Templarian's add-ons for Komodo Edit. It's a much better solution for WebOS development.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ompletion.html
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of redoing my app in Eclipse or what you suggested. I want to be able to code the "real" way - lol

Ares is like Visual Studio GUI - :P (I code in .NET so I can say that)
    I code a lot in .NET as well for work.

Some things in VS GUI are useful, like the CSS editor and datasource editors, but I still prefer to code most things by hand. For that, things like Intellisense are certainly useful. I'm all for making my life easier but not at the expense of flexibility and power.

A litttle OT, but have you checked out VS 2010. It's quite nice.

Make sure to check out the Templarian add ons for Komodo Edit. It's a much better solution than Eclipse.
  5.    #5  
    I am trying Eclipse right now. I tried to download Komodo Edit and Chrome couldn't find the file. I will end up trying both.

Yeah we have VS 2010 at work (MS Partners). I love the new features, especially the way you can pin the watches to the IDE and see them as they change without having the watch window open all the time. I am trying my best to convince them to change over to 2010, we just started using 2008 at the beginning of this year - lol
  6.    #6  
    I am doing the basic HelloWorld Here:

Building Your First App – Palm Developer Center

I can't get the button to show?

<div id="main" class="palm-hasheader">
    <div class="palm-header">Header</div>
    <div id="count" class="palm-body-text">0</div>
    <div id="MyButton" name="MyButton1" x-mojo-element="Button"></div>
    </div>
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Another one to check out is a new tool from JetBrains called "WebStorm". JetBrains WebStorm :: The best Web IDE

It's a scaled-back version of their full-blown Java IDE (IDEA) designed specifically for HTML, Javascript, and CSS. I'm a big fan of IDEA (best Java IDE out there IMO), and so far I'm impressed with WebStorm.
  8.    #8  
    To many IDEs - lol

I figured out what I did. I came from Ares and didn't know that I have to do this for buttons:

this.controller.setupWidget("MyButton", this.buttonAttributes, this.buttonModel);

Seems I have a lot to learn if I use an IDE over Ares. I'm up for a challenge - lol
  9.    #9  
    Where do I find a list of all the classes that I need?

such as this for a group title: palm-group-title
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Thanks!

Can I hit you up with some questions if need be via PM?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Also if you want to speed up development I use the "Code Snippet" feature of Komodo to store common code like button declaration, event handlers, etc. Since I basically setup my own "canned code" I can tweak it however I want. Need a new button? Drag and drop in one file the drag and drop in another.

- Phil -
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Also if you want to speed up development I use the "Code Snippet" feature of Komodo to store common code like button declaration, event handlers, etc. Since I basically setup my own "canned code" I can tweak it however I want. Need a new button? Drag and drop in one file the drag and drop in another.

- Phil -
    Nice! Any chance you can send those to me. I have no idea how to create those.

I can create them in Visual Studio - lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    Thanks!

Can I hit you up with some questions if need be via PM?
    Sure.
  14.    #15  
    Sure.
    Thanks!

Sent you a PM - lol
  15. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I use Coda. Tried out Eclipse, but I dig Coda a little bit more.
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    I use Coda. Tried out Eclipse, but I dig Coda a little bit more.
    I am trying eclipse. I am having problems with a TextField. I can't get the value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Another one to check out is a new tool from JetBrains called "WebStorm". JetBrains WebStorm :: The best Web IDE
    The IDE looks quite promising.. can it also attach to the palm emulator and/or device for debugging?

BTW: If not: Ares has a standalone debugger (Palm - Ares - v8 Debugger) and log viewer (Palm - Ares - Log) B-)
    Also, there is a better alternative to SDK coding than Eclipse. Actually, I've always thought that Eclipse was a buggy, clunky piece of junk. Check out Templarian's add-ons for Komodo Edit. It's a much better solution for WebOS development.
    thanks for the suggestion! I've never heard of Komodo Edit before, but I'm using it now and I must say that it's WAYYYY better than that clunky eclipse

thanks again!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Check out Templarian's add-ons for Komodo Edit. It's a much better solution for WebOS development.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ompletion.html
    A new WebOS dev, I've used Dreamweaver CS4 for years. I mostly write directly in HTML - even while in DW. Tried Eclipse the other day,and it seemed pretty straightforward.

I'm trying to find the right IDE for WebOS development and would prefer DW over Eclipse - simply because I'm familiar. Would you say I should use DW or should I try Komodo, or something else?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast