1.    #1  
    Hi. Today I was thinking about buying a tablet for video streaming in home wlan.

But then I thought wait a minute . Pre is a Linux Phone. This must work somehow. So my first thought was Samba. So I made a Share on my Windows 7 work PC. I was able to connect this to my Pre. This is what I did:

First of all install Samba if you haven't already (Via Novacom or Terminus):

Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    sudo ipkg-opt update
    sudo ipkg-opt install samba
    Then execude the following:

Hostname -> Computers IP
    Sharename -> Name of the Share you created
    Username -> In Windows the active User of the PC (all other users should know what they are doing )

Code:
    smbclient //hostname/sharename -U username
    You will be prompted for password. You should now be connected without any problems. If so this prompt will appear:

Code:
    smb: \>
    Type this and you should see all your files via console:

Code:
    ls
    So far so good. There I got stuck because smbfs is not yet compiled in the pre kernel. My question is wouldn't it be awesome to have smbfs? Since there are custom kernels around I think it wouldn't be a big deal. Because if we could use smbfs we could browse through samba shares with Internalz File Browser. Be able to open any file compatible with the Pre over WLAN .

Perhaps I missed other solutions. But right now it's the only option I know that wouldn't take that long to develop because everything is already their. Just needs to be implemented.
    This can already be done using Xorg tools. Perhaps you should look this page.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...wer-users.html
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoj1 View Post
    This can already be done using Xorg tools. Perhaps you should look this page.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...wer-users.html
    Thank you for your link. Helped a lot. I was able to mount the Samba Share of my PC to my Palm Pre and browse through the files with novaterm. But the Device doesn't list those directories/files in Internalz nor DocumentViewer. So still not much of an approvement. Will try to figure out how it's possible to access files over the gui via samba.
    hi guys,
    did u manage to get further on this?

what about the WebOS 3.0 in the touchpad?
    tx